Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preemies and Infertility

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
Preemies and Infertility
July 13, 2006
Well well, lookey here. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13838594/ An actual article about infertility treatments and preemies. I can think of a lot better things to do with $26 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR. Perhaps helping disabled/struggling veterans, the elderly, disabled people, etc., the list goes on.

Questions I come away with are:

1. WHY are these women having induced deliveries and still having premature baybees? Maybe it's that "convenient date" thing we all talked about on here a few months back. And you can bet your SWEET ASSES that if a doctor miscalculates a baby's development status and induced moo upon moo's request and that baby is born prematurely with problems, the doctors get their assholes handed to them in a lawsuit.

2. WHY are you having fertility treatments if you're not getting pregnant on your own? Someone is trying to tell you something, YOU DUMB STUPID SELFISH FUCKING COW!!!!

3. WHY isn't the medical community waking up and realizing that this is a PROBLEM and refusing such treatments?

and

4. If we're getting into a GAWD thing or morals or whatever the hell have you, I personally think it's IMMORAL and SELFISH to have fertility treatments knowing these statistics and/or having your pregnancy induced early just because the date is convenient!!!!!!!

Re: Preemies and Infertility
July 13, 2006
I agree, KidFreeLuvnLife. What a joke.

lab mom
Nour
July 13, 2006
The article notes that women over 35 (and those under 16) are at the greatest risk to deliver prematurely. Come on, people! IVF is responsible for so many of the premie cases. They just don't want to come out and say it, because after all, "IVF is a booming business."
Anonymous User
July 13, 2006
Hey KidFreeLuvnLife! Having worked in the NICU at 3 different hospitals (not by my choice at 2 of them, by the way!), I know EXACTLY what you mean! Every set of twins or triplets we had coming through there (and there were a LOT of them!) were a result of infertility treatments. AARRGGHH!! WHY are people having litters?!
Grace
July 14, 2006
Even if fertility treatments are covered by insurance (I'm not sure if they are), I've read that the babies are often born with health problems and need a lot of expensive care during their infancy and beyond. It must be profitable somehow, or hospitals wouldn't do it. I, too, don't understand why anyone would want to have 4 or 5 babies at the same time. Think of the cost involved and how hard it must be for two first-time parents to care for that many infants at the same time. They really must not think it through. The large families that result from fertility treatments often receive a lot of media attention. Some of them seem to get money from endorsing baby and child related products. I'm sure they need it.
Sherz
July 14, 2006
Infertility is natural population control. We are messing with nature with IVF. Things are only going to get more f*cked up.
July 14, 2006
It'll be one trainwreck after another.

Check out this site:

http://www.babyorbust.com

...And they call us childfree selfish. At least I'm not going to great lenghts to try and have my own D.N.A. replicant. I'm just happy with my dh and I.

lab mom
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.