Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: Actresses without children can't play mothers

Posted by Anonymous User 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/8279466/Actresses-without-children-cant-play-mothers.html

oooh this makes my blood boil, but maybe that is what the author was intending with what can only be described as the most ridiculous case of mommy brain ever.....and you would think she would know better at her age!

Actresses without children 'can't play mothers'
Childless actresses cannot play mothers convincingly because they don't understand the emotions involved, according to Anne Reid.

Anne Reid (far right) appeared in the recent BBC revival of Upstairs Downstairs Photo: BBC By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor 7:00AM GMT 25 Jan 2011
1 Comment
The 75-year-old, veteran of Coronation Street, Dinnerladies and Upstairs Downstairs, said women who don't have children lack authenticity on screen.

"People will shoot me for saying this but I see people playing mothers who haven't had a child and - I don't know - I think you kind of have to have been there. Because it's a gut thing, isn't it?" she told the Radio Times.

Actresses who have portrayed mothers on screen despite having no children of their own include Dame Helen Mirren, who won an Oscar for her role in The Queen, and Jennifer Aniston, who played a mother in her last film, The Switch.

Reid took a career break to raise her son, Peter. She received her first Bafta nomination in 2004, aged 68, for The Mother. The role required her to strip naked for love scenes with Daniel Craig, an actor 33 years her junior.

She said: "We had a laugh, I loved doing it. I was a bit nervous about looking like a plonker, but when I saw it I thought that, another time, I could give it more sexual welly."

Love the first comment though: So actresses who haven’t killed anybody can’t play murderers?
Re: Article: Actresses without children can't play mothers
January 29, 2011
Following that logic, actors and actresses who aren't gay can't play gay characters and gay actors and actresses can't play straight characters. Actors who aren't fathers can't play fathers, but we see examples of this all the time, some good, some bad. Helen Mirren is an amazing and accomplished actress, yet that Kardashian that sprogged would be able to play a better mother because she actually is one? I call :BS

Reid took a career break to raise her son, Peter.

Meanwhile actresses like Mirren and Aniston were taking on more roles and getting more experience. Acting experience. Professional experience. Not mommy experience, which I still think is useless, actor or not.
January 29, 2011
Wow. Arrogant much? The whole point of acting is being able to portray a FULL range of emotions, not just the ones the actor has personally experienced. That includes moohood, which isn't fucking special. cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
January 29, 2011
following that logic, unless you have murdered several people, you cannot possibly play a serial killer because you cannot have a full understanding of the mentality of such an individual.

holy fuck! look at all the unqualified people playing elves and hobbits in lord of the rings!!!!
January 29, 2011
Following that logic who are we gonna get to play the zombies and ghosts in horror films? :biggrin2
January 29, 2011
What about "The Brady Bunch" parents? I know for a fact that the "dad" was gay in real life, and I'm pretty sure Florence Henderson never sprogged, yet these two were the most convincing sit-com parents ever.
gymrat
What about "The Brady Bunch" parents? I know for a fact that the "dad" was gay in real life, and I'm pretty sure Florence Henderson never sprogged, yet these two were the most convincing sit-com parents ever.

Florence Henderson spawned four times.

I think the article is retarded. You see CF actors/actresses playing parents, Black people playing Hispanic, white people playing black (Hello -- Imitation of Life) and they do just fine.
January 29, 2011
I guess actresses who have sprogged are henceforth banned from auditioning for childfree parts. We're going to have to replace Sarah Jessica Parker - how could she possibly know what it's like to live a fun, childfree life in Sex and the City when she's got a son in real life?
Oh fuckin' hell. So then no one who hasn't nearly died of cancer can play a cancer patient, either. I mean, I think you kind of have to have been there. Because it's a gut thing, isn't it? *snort*

How can anyone play anything they aren't, then? Fuck that. It's called ACTING.
January 29, 2011
starvingauthor
Following that logic who are we gonna get to play the zombies and ghosts in horror films? :biggrin2

zombies are mindless, shambling undead that constantly need to feed? most moos can do that.
So then I guess only genuine murderers, armed robbers, car thiefs, rapists, molesters, child killers and serial killers are able to play those roles in movies and TV then to follow along with that logic; after all only they *know* what it's really like to do and experience the genuine thought process and emotion involved.

The lack of thought, intelligence and insight put into this boggles the mind. Oh I forgot for a second that breeders are involved......
January 29, 2011
Ummm, isn't the whole point of acting to pretend you're someone you're not? two cents

It's your hell; you rot in it!
Charles Bronson was an architect in the 'Death Wish' film series. I'm pretty certain he didn't take any CAD courses or attend any structural design seminars.
January 29, 2011
Greta Garbo played a loving mother in "Anna Karenina," and she never married or sprogged. Marjorie Main played Ma Kettle (mother of ten-plus kids) in a very successful film series; in real life Main was gay (one early marriage) and childfree.
January 29, 2011
micah
Charles Bronson was an architect in the 'Death Wish' film series. I'm pretty certain he didn't take any CAD courses or attend any structural design seminars.

back when he made most of those movies, not even architects took cad classes
January 29, 2011
zatoth
starvingauthor

zombies are mindless, shambling undead that constantly need to feed? most moos can do that.

But I was hoping to experiment on Moos so they can be true zombies. Then when they are done with that they can play the ghosts. LOL
January 29, 2011
I bet Hugh Laurie and Matthew Fox aren't real doctors, either. *sobs*

Kate Winslet doesn't have kids,does she? She played a mother in Finding Neverland and made my cry my little eyes out.
January 29, 2011

"People will shoot me for saying this but I see people playing mothers who haven't had a child and - I don't know - I think you kind of have to have been there. Because it's a gut thing, isn't it?" she told the Radio Times.

Yeah, kinda like how Patty Duke had to have her fuckin' eyes poked out to play Helen Keller, and how someone had to kill both of Aileen Quinn's parents so that she'd make a convincing Annie. sarcastic clapping Dumbass.
January 29, 2011
Looks like when someone makes a movie about my life I will have to get a CF mad scientist actress because it looks like anyone else would not have the life experience to play me.
January 29, 2011
She played a plasmavore in Dr Who.

Someone call the cops- she's clearly a mass murderer.
January 29, 2011
It's called acting for a reason!

So, can men who are not fathers play fathers, or is this cunt only interesting in limiting roles for women?
January 29, 2011
Wasn't "Anna Karenina" about some angsty slut who cannot find a lover?

There was a MOTHER in this? I thought it was about a sleazebag whore who fucked her way across EU?

Or was that - "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"?

Wait - Ima gonna go look it up.

(And in case you haven't guessed - I did very much LOATHE the Lit'trature courses I was FORCED to take at college)

OK - I just looked up Anna Karenina on Wikipedia and found this quote:

"trifling romance of high life"

Yep. I remembered correctly. BULLSHIT.

I hate this kind of fucking crap and I don't care WHO wrote it! BORING!!!!!

And yeah - "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" was the same kind of SHIT.

The Harlequin Romances of the days of yore.

HATE this crap!

MY GAWD! I am STILL PISSED! That I was FORCED to take Lit for Gen Ed in school.

You want ACTING? I had to pretend as if I gave a rats ass about all this fucking crap in school just to get through those classes to pass.
January 29, 2011
shaggzster
gymrat

I think the article is retarded. You see CF actors/actresses playing parents, Black people playing Hispanic, white people playing black (Hello -- Imitation of Life) and they do just fine.

I agree! Also, have there ever been any actual Native Americans cast as Indians in ANY movies or films?confused smiley One thing though that stands out to me is actors from other American regions who play Southern characters using an exaggerated and unbelievable accent. Now that should be against the law.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
January 29, 2011
kidlesskim
shaggzster
gymrat

I agree! Also, have there ever been any actual Native Americans cast as Indians in ANY movies or films?confused smiley One thing though that stands out to me is actors from other American regions who play Southern characters using an exaggerated and unbelievable accent. Now that should be against the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Dan_George

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Greene_%28actor%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Silverheels
@Shiny.....Kate Winslet has 2 kids....boy born in 2000, and girl born in 2003.

I was just thinking that by this logic, do you have to be able to fly to play the part of Superman? ..waving hellolarious
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login