Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1667-cheap sitter

Posted by Sherz 
Sherz
1667-cheap sitter
July 20, 2006
Wow, I'm not surprised about this at all. Most people who work in any way with children are paid a crappy salary. Then people complain when their kid gets treated badly by a crack whore nanny. I'm not sure how much crack $50 can buy, but I'm sure she'll have a sitter this Saturday!
Re: 1667-cheap sitter
July 20, 2006
Maybe she needs a sitter while she supports her addiction.

lab mom
sprogless
July 20, 2006
An illegal immigrant will take the job.
Anonymous User
July 21, 2006
This is yet another thing I will never understand about breeders. They gush on and on about how their children are *pweshus myrakuls from Gawd* and all that malarkey. But when they need someone to take care of the kids, they are not willing to pay that person a living wage.

Hell, I took more care than most breeders do when I was looking for someone to take care of our cats when we go on vacations. Rather than posting ads and taking chances about who might answer, I went online and looked for the professional pet-sitter organizations websites. There are several out there. Anyone who is serious about their pet-sitting business will fork over the dough to join at least one of these professional organizations.

When I found someone who was in my area, I called her and invited her to our home for an interview, with Catdaddy present. This also gave her an opportunity to meet the cats, and see how they reacted to her. Cats know who they like and who they don't like right away...they are very smart that way. She provided references from other clients, and they all checked out. She also has pets of her own, both dogs and cats, which was a must...I wanted someone who loves animals and knows how to take care of them.

So it all worked out, and we've been using *Aunt Patti's* services for about five years now. We gave her a key to our place, so when we need her, we just call, and she doesn't have to worry about coming by to get a key. She has proven herself to be very trustworthy.

And that's another thing. This moo wants the cheap sitter to work in her (the moo's) home, for 12 hours in a day. I don't know about you all, but I am VERY picky about who is allowed into my home when neither Catdaddy nor I are present. Even though Patti checked out fine, I still was nervous at first about someone having our key.

Reminds me of something that happened to me many years ago. I was living in this studio apartment, and the landlord decided to replace the shower stall. He had the plumbers come in while I was at work. After the first day, I came home and the old shower had been dismantled, and the pieces of the new one were stacked up in the bathroom. I had no shower!

The next day, I came home early because I wasn't feeling well. And what do I see but the plumbers, playing video games on MY TV, with MY Atari 2600 system (yes, this happened THAT long ago), and drinking MY beer! I think they even ate some of MY food, too!

I reamed them new ones and told them to finish my shower, or else I would call the landlord (who was paying them by the hour) what I walked in on. It was still two more days before I finally had a shower, though, I had to go to a friend's house to shower in the meantime.

This is a big part of why I am picky about who comes here when we're not home. I don't like people messing with my stuff.

Also, India posted about her friend whose caregiver is a single moo with a shady boyfriend. The moo who is looking for the cheap sitter may well end up with such a person taking care of her kids, and having access to her home. Let's face it, when you are paying what comes to less tham minimum wage, you are not exactly getting the cream of the crop here. I would never hire a single moo as a petsitter. In addition to the risk of shady boyfriends, I also do not allow sprogs in my home, as it is not child-proof. I have my craft stuff laying around, including sharp scissors and knives and such. I do keep them out of harm's way for the cats, but nosy sprogs could still get into them. But I don't have to worry about any of that with Patti...she has a decent husband, and her only kids are of the four-legged variety.

But of course, if something bad happened to either the moo's home, or to her kids, she'd be sobbing about how it wasn't her fault, that she was victimized. Yeah, she would be a victim, but what did she to do take steps to prevent that from happening? Seems to me that all she cares about is saving a few bucks!
July 21, 2006
I second that, catmommy9. I'd be pisted off (as so would dh) if someone was in rumaging through our stuff.

lab mom
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.