Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Muslim "Eid" Stamp

Posted by india_darshan 
Muslim "Eid" Stamp
September 15, 2006
I just got an e-mail from a friend I really like who is supporting the boycotting of the "Eid" stamp because of the terrorism and current political climate. The supposed reasoning is that Muslims did all of these terrible things. So, this e-mail is to be forwarded. I deleted it.

What about Christian terrorism in this country where X-tian "pro-lifers" terrorize women at abortion clinics with the shouting and often photogrphing them & their vehicles to post on websites? They also get the license plate numbers so friends from DMV will give out addresses so the women get nasty letters or "birthday" cards on the date they had the abortions. Clinics have been bombed and people have died. How about boycotting Christmas or Easter stamps?

My friend is a good person but just goes along with what the Church says and falls for all of the propoganda against Muslims. Not all Muslims are terrorists. I would say something to the lady but it would go in one ear and out the other...*sigh*...

Re: Muslim "Eid" Stamp
September 15, 2006
What does EiD stand for?
GreenGrass
September 15, 2006
It is a holiday that marks the end of Ramadan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul-Fitr

I am getting so tired of Christianity's hold on this country. I am also tired of these conservatives talking about the "religious extremists" in the Middle East - hello, like you people aren't "extremists" yourselves? Hypocrites!
September 15, 2006
i have some friends who are muslims, they are pretty decent for the most part one if a complete idiot, but not coz he is muslim, just coz he is a dumb idiot.. i have no objection to any religion, or practice so long as they are done by consenting adults, and it hurts no one.. if a woman wants to wear a burkha then she should be allowed too, if she doesnt same thing.. so long as people dont force their beleif down my throat.. i dont care..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
sprogless
September 15, 2006
I agree with Merc & Green Grass.

Just my observation, but X-Tians seem to be the most intolerant of all religions, as a whole. I've never had a Jew, Muslim, etc. harass me like the X- Tians do. Other religions don't come pounding on my door, trying to "convert" me, or telling me that I'll burn in hell, because I don't believe as they do. GRRRR!

The whole Gawd thing really gets me going...
September 16, 2006
You are all right. Christians scream of freedom of religion when they feel they are being so "crucified" for their beliefs yet will scream if Americans are exposed to anything else. I've worked with Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Hare Krishnas, and other pagan people (like myself). Yet, I've never been approached to convert.

Mercurior is correct about the issue of covering for Muslim women. If they want to wear a burqa or hijab, that is their business. If not, the same goes.

My friend is older but naive about a lot of things. She just forwards the Eid Stamp e-mail because she received it from some idiot at her church. I can imagine the uproar from these people if one of us or anyone for that matter had a similar e-mail going around to boycott the X-tian X-mas stamps that the United States Postal Service issues every year!
GreenGrass
September 16, 2006
I attended college in Huntsville, Texas - home of the electric chair and also one of the biggest Mega Churches in the state. I always found it so ironic that here was this city that was so pro-life, yet were very proud of the fact that people on death row got sent there to fry. They even have a museum dedicated to "the chair".

Anyway, when I was there in the mid-90's, it was fundie HELL. I worked at Denny's, and was constantly bombarded by patrons with Jesus-related propaganda - they would leave pamphlets on tables, ask personal questions about my spiritual beliefs, and even try to bribe me by saying if I attended Family Faith Church (the Mega Church), I would receive a free apple pie. Woopdie doo. They were so so so rude!!!

My sheep-like roommate got involved in the church through one of our Denny's coworkers, and suddenly EVERYTHING became about Jay-sus. This person who was once fun to hang out with became really dull. She took me to one of her "soul winning" classes one night - this is where they teach church members how to win souls for the Lord - I couldn't believe people were actually stupid enough to fall for this tripe. Her church was almost like one big AA meeting - people came up to me and just blurted out their sad, pathetic life stories and how the met Jay-sus and now their lives are turned around.

I don't care if someone wants to be religious, but how incredibly rude is it to assume that everyone should be harrassed and bullied into your beliefs!
September 20, 2006
There are churches in this city that feed the homeless. However, the homeless people are REQUIRED to sit through a service/sermon before getting the meal. How is that charity if something is required of the recipient? It is all about converting other people. The first lady who owned the pagan shop I frequent back in the early 90's always got these born-agains bothering her about her beliefs. She bought a yoga retreat house and a gay male purchased the store. No one bothered him. The first lady's employee who stayed on to work for J*ck ended up buying when he moved out-of-state. No one bugs this woman because she ended up converting as a Traditional Catholic, which is more anti-abortion and stuff than the regular Roman Church. But, she remains the owner and does rituals while keeping quiet about her beliefs to most people. Go figure...
September 20, 2006
but the constitution is freedom of religion and everyone forgets the other part (implied) freedom FROM religion.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am1

Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
September 20, 2006
Unfortunately our constitution has been rendered meaningless. It's too bad, because I thought it was a great document.
September 21, 2006
we in the Uk dont have a constitution, we are all subjects of the queen, and her word is law, but we seem to have more freedom, religion isnt pushed as hard as it is in america, this is slightly changing due to the extremists, of who i term bush as one.

we have a greater freedom, to live and to act in my opinion, the queen is law, the parliament is run on her behalf to make the everyday rules/laws that should help the country, unfortunatly the parliament leaders here now are becoming more "americanised", with spin doctors, life coaches etc.. and it makes so many more problems.

politicians should be elected to do the bidding of the populous, but they are becoing the closest thing to dictators in the democratic world.

GreenGrass
September 25, 2006
Mercurior, even though the US does not have an official "royalty", King George (Bush) and his administration are trying to alter constitutional law to give the president unprecedented power. And the stupid thing is, at least half of Americans think that if you are against this, you must "hate America".

Corporations and the wealthy elite (top 1% or less) own the media outlets and have incredible influence that they abuse to a disgusting degree. I can't stand even watching the "news" anymore because it is all some dumbed-down spin job to make me feel scared, push the religious right agenda, and make me feel like some kind of traitor if I'm against the Iraq War. This elite wants to control everyone because it makes them wealthier, and the dumbass average Joe American just complains about the cost of gas and his health care burden without even considering that MAYBE he should have a voice and speak out against the power elite exploiting the working class. I have to say, I think I live in a really stupid country.

Rant off!
September 26, 2006
yes thats the point, bush and his ilk in my opinion are near dictators, they decide whats good for everyone, luckily i the uk we have a monarchy with checks and balances or should tween the 2 groups.

we have the royals, who i the past (charles 1 time) who had ultimate power and could do what they wished, then came cromwell and his puritanical ways, bot bad , but somehow we worked out a middle ground.

it works better than most.. the queen has ultimate veto on any laws or can abolish parliament, they run it in her name.

CFScorpio
October 09, 2006
This sounded like an urban legend, so I looked it up on snopes.com . Apparently there really IS an Eid stamp. Who knew?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/eidstamp.asp
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login