Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I Have a Veterinary Question

Posted by cfchevygirl 
I Have a Veterinary Question
July 04, 2013
I have a somewhat detailed question, if anyone could please help me out?

Thx.
Re: I Have a Veterinary Question
July 04, 2013
I'm not always knowledgable but I promise to try. What is it???
July 04, 2013
My roommate is out of town for the next 10 days, and one of the girls has developed some kind of redness on the lower belly. I cannot tell if it's just belly or perhaps on the vulva area. She was urinating in my roommate's room after he left (lasted 2-3 days) but that seems to have stopped. He attributed the urination to Separation Anxiety -- though he's gone before and she hasn't done that; BUT, he had just come back about 10 days from a week-long trip.

So, he left for about 9-10 days, then came back. Was back for about the same period of time, and left again. He's been gone since Friday morning; the urinating on his carpet started that day, and it was 2-3 times a day for about 3 days I believe.

Anyways, I guess he feels the mark on her "belly" area -- if that's it -- was maybe from rubbing on the carpet or that she was biting herself from separation anxiety. I don't honestly know.

I was concerned that it could be a UTI. I'm certainly no expert, and he's had this dog for 3-4 years, so I would guess if he went to "hot spot" right away, it's perhaps a "regular" thing for her? Although I haven't seen it in the 10 months I've been here.

He had some topical steroid spray from another dog that had an ear infection that spread to her neck, called Betamethasone Valerate or similar. He advised me to treat her with that.

Well, apparently it stings, a lot, and she is having none of it. I got 2 doses on her, but she will refuse to roll over now. She's approx. 60 lbs, and it's not easy for me to try and roll, hold and spray.

I ended up scouring the internet for hours last night/this morning, trying to discern if this is even a hot spot, or if it could be something vaginal. Sometimes it looks to me like it could be a hot spot, other times, it looks like it could involve the vulva.

I honestly am not that familiar with dog anatomy to differentiate, without touch, and she won't let me touch. I think it's possible that just the excessive licking might bunch up the lower belly fur and make it look like perhaps a "vaginal mound". Do dogs have that? So yeah....

But, I left the house at the ass-crack of dawn -- Walmart opens at 6am here. Thought about buying some Neosporin since I know it's an antibiotic of sorts, and I figured I could try that if it is bacterial. I also purchased something called Vet Trust Hot Spot and Itch treatment. It has no alcohol and has hydrocortisone and promaxine (whatever that is). So, I figured it shouldn't sting; although I don't know if she is going to relax and trust enough to roll over to apply.

I also read that Goldbond medicated powder was something worth trying, but i didn't buy it yet.

So yeah, the gist of it is, how do I know if it's a hot spot, or could it be a UTI (I assumed UTI initially because of the urinating). And what is the best option of the medicines I've mentioned?

She isn't behaving lethargic, and she is eating and drinking fine, and the urination inside has stopped. It's bad timing being a holiday, since there's no vet open around here. I guess my roommate figured that since the other dog just had the topical steroid and there is lots leftover, to just use that, but it's not going to happen. It must be stinging her.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm totally on no sleep! Thanks for any advice you can give me.
July 04, 2013
Some dogs, especially females, will lick themselves obsessively when their routine gets interrupted. That's what it sounds like to me. My advice for today is to treat it with Neosporin and Benadryl. Giving the dog one Benadryl tablet will calm her down. After she's calm you can treat the red spot with Neosporin. If there was a UTI she would be uncomfortable when she goes outside. She would cry because going pee is uncomfortable and it would take longer than usual.

It sounds to me like she's upset about her routine getting interrupted, and again, some females will lick obsessively when that happens. I honestly think Benadryl, one tablet every twelve hours like it says on the box, and Neosporin will take care of the issue. You can also expect a miraculous recovery when her human comes home. Please let me know how it goes.

What age and breed is the dog??? That info would help me help you a little bit better.
July 04, 2013
Thanks! I have read soooo many conflicting things that i don't even know what to believe anymore. Things like "use tea tree oil to dry it up", and then from another source, "tea tree oil is dangerous to dogs". I've read you can use neosporin and that you can't because they might ingest. I've read people use diaper rash cream, and people who suggest something like athletes' foot cream, or goldbond medicated powder.

She's a half-and-half. smiling smiley Yellow Lab mixed with Basset hound. She's about 3-4 years old. Not sure exactly.

Oh, I forgot, I have some low dose generic benadryl which is 25mg only. So is one sufficient?
July 04, 2013
cfchevygirl
Thanks! I have read soooo many conflicting things that i don't even know what to believe anymore. Things like "use tea tree oil to dry it up", and then from another source, "tea tree oil is dangerous to dogs". I've read you can use neosporin and that you can't because they might ingest. I've read people use diaper rash cream, and people who suggest something like athletes' foot cream, or goldbond medicated powder.

She's a half-and-half. smiling smiley Yellow Lab mixed with Basset hound. She's about 3-4 years old. Not sure exactly.

Oh, I forgot, I have some low dose generic benadryl which is 25mg only. So is one sufficient?

One is perfect. She only needs one every twelve hours. Neosporin is non toxic. My dog Brandy used to lick the stuff off of her belly and it never hurt her. I had one cat that liked to snack on the crap and again, it never hurt them. I DO NOT recommend tea tree oil, diaper rash or athlete's foot cream. If you don't know the chemical makeup of these things they could be trouble. Any kind of powder would most likely make the issue worse. It would have be really uncomfortable for the dog to put any kind of powder on the issue.

Benadryl will make her goofy for a little while. When ever I give it to Sammy, our coon hound, he looks around with a stupid grin on his face. It might also make her dizzy but it's nothing to worry about. Just be prepared for those results. It will calm her down a good bit.

ETA: I've known any number of labs who will lick incessantly when their routine is interrupted. They're awesome to have as pets but they can be neurotic. Knowing the dog is half lab in this case honestly doesn't surprise me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login