Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Paris Hilton & Her DUI

Posted by amethusos* 
Re: Paris Hilton & Her DUI
June 13, 2007
You are right, it has little to do with skin color, or law breaking, actually. It has alot to do with class status, perception and notority.

I really hate to say this, but Paris probably is receiving more punishment than a person in her situation would. Apparently in LA county, a person caught driving on a suspended liscense would only serve 10% of their sentence, which Paris has already done, because of jail over crowding. Unfortunately, when she was released, instead of simply stating this, for some stupid reason the Sheriff said it was for a "medical condition", which was definetly His Bad, and only added to the perception that she was receiving preferential treatment. Speaking from experience, NO ONE ever gets released from jail for a valid medical condition. The Judge has the discretion to assign punishment which in this case specifically stated that Paris was to serve her entire sentence in jail, and not be released to home custody.

Poor people serve more time in jail than rich people, and poor people are arrested for crimes at a higher rate than rich people, even though they don't commit crime at any higher frequency than the rich. It's just easier to arrest for and prove the crimes that poor people commit, than it is to prove the crimes that rich people commit. Racially, black people in the US are incarcerated at a much much higher rate than white people, and I think that has alot to do with where the police choose to enforce the laws, which is black neighborhoods. They don't commit more crimes, but they are watched more, making it easier for them to be caught, and when caught they are generally subjected to worse punishment.

Here's an interesting factoid:
Black people tend to use crack, white people tend to use cocaine.
Cocaine and crack are chemically the same.
Federal charges for crack possession come about when a person is holding 1 gram, and I believe the minimum sentence is 2-5 years in prison.
Federal charges for cocaine possession come about when a person is holding 5 grams, and the minimum sentence is 1-3 years in prison.
Funny that.
June 13, 2007
justice should be blind, i think that hilton should stay in longer, due to the disregard she had for the law, remember a few years ago brandi killed a person in her car.

if as she states she is a role model (which i doubt), then she should be held to a higher standard, to let her off from breaking the law twice that we know of, what sort of role model is she.

that its ok to break the law if your rich. its ok to break the law if your "pretty".

famous people should be held to a slightly higher standard than the rest of us. because they are in the public gaze. thats my opinion.

the most racist person i ever met was black, i have known people of every faith, colour, sexual orientation, i dont see them as anything but humans.

its a pity that some people like JD, beleive its all about race, when a lot of the time it isnt. (i do admit there is some racism and sexism in those situations but a lot of the time it doesnt matter)

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 14, 2007
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> justice should be blind, i think that hilton
> should stay in longer, due to the disregard she
> had for the law, remember a few years ago brandi
> killed a person in her car.
>
> if as she states she is a role model (which i
> doubt), then she should be held to a higher
> standard, to let her off from breaking the law
> twice that we know of, what sort of role model is
> she.
>
> that its ok to break the law if your rich. its ok
> to break the law if your "pretty".
>
> famous people should be held to a slightly higher
> standard than the rest of us. because they are in
> the public gaze. thats my opinion.

I remember when Brandi killed someone with her car...yet she continues to roam free on this planet. Had it been you, me, or if Brandi was some po'n***ah from the projects, we would all be in jail for up to 7 years for vehicular manslaughter depending on the state where the crime was committed. "Justice" is different for those who are 'pretty and famous' which is why I sometimes revert to my Sicilian roots and would like "street justice" to be done those sort of people who get away with such shit!
June 18, 2007
Oh, I don't think you have to be pretty to get off, it just involves money...think Snoop Dog, OJ Simpson, Vince Neil (of Motley Crue who killed the lead singer of Hanoi Rocks in a drunk driving accident in the mid 80's), and any number of less conventionally attractive persons of the moneyed persuasion who still walk the streets.
June 18, 2007
i wish they would hold public figures to a higher standard, because of the role models they pretend to be.

they influence young adults, to the detriment of themselves and others.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 29, 2007
lots of people are fed up with her now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=465095&in_page_id=1811&in_page_id=1811

To television bosses, it may have seemed a moment of onscreen madness.

But to viewers fed up with the whole Paris Hilton saga, it was a long-awaited outbreak of sanity.

American newsreader Mika Brzezinski, co-presenter of MSNBC's Morning Joe programme, refused to read out the story of the celebrity socialite's release from jail ahead of items on Iraq and developments at the White House

Miss Brzezinski then screwed up, shredded and attempted to set fire to the script on air. She told viewers: "I hate it and I don't think it should be our lead. I just don't believe in covering that story, at least not as the lead story on the newscast, when we have a day like today."

She was referring to stories about Iraq and President George Bush's problems with his Republican party.

Miss Brzezinski first screwed up the script and refused to read it

Then, on the next bulletin, she refused to read it again and took a co-presenter's cigarette lighter and tried to burn it.

Later, she refused to read the script for a third time and took it straight to the shredder in the studio, where she fed it into the machine.

When producers played images of Miss Hilton leaving jail in Los Angeles, where she served a sentence for a probation violation after her drink- driving conviction, Miss Brzezinski was shown with her head in her hands as the cameras returned to the studio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login