Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Woman jailed for 'neglected' lawn

Posted by mercurior 
July 09, 2007
i dont beleive this, even being arrested for not watering your lawn, its dumb, but this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6282348.stm

A 70-year-old US woman has been left bruised and bloody after an unexpected clash with police who came to arrest her because her lawn was dry and brown.
Trouble flared when Utah pensioner Betty Perry, 70, refused to give her name to an officer trying to caution her for not watering her lawn.

She says the officer hit her with handcuffs, cutting her nose, although police insist she slipped and fell.

Ms Perry said she was "distraught" after the incident.

He's just trying to cover his tracks, as far as I'm concerned

Betty Perry

She denied that she was resisting arrest, maintaining that she turned to go inside to call her son to fix the confusing dispute.

"I tried to sit down and get away from him," she told Utah newspaper the Daily Herald.

"I don't know what he's doing. I said: 'What are you doing?' And he hit me with those handcuffs in my face," she said.

"He's just trying to cover his tracks, as far as I'm concerned."

Set free

The officer had judged that Ms Perry's "sadly neglected and dying landscape" breached an Orem city guideline and was attempting to issue a formal caution when the 70-year-old was injured.

She was treated in a local hospital for the cut to her nose and for other bruises before being taken to jail.

But she was let go when police realised there were "other ways" of finding out her identity without taking her to jail, a police spokesman said.

The arresting officer has not been named but has been placed on administrative leave, he added.

Ms Perry, who says she has never had a run-in with police in the past, has been offered help by local church leaders to clean up her garden.

"I'm very distraught over all this," she said.

"I can't believe this happened. Do you ever just wish you could start your day over and it would all be different?"

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
Re: Woman jailed for 'neglected' lawn
July 09, 2007
Oh, yeah, lets go harass a little old lady for having a dead lawn.

That cop is an asshole.
July 11, 2007
People are such fucking busybodies. They can be as bad as breeders. I have known people who painted their homes what was considered "unusual colours" such as a royal blue or purple only to be hassled by neighbours screaming of the lowering of property values. Since when does a home buyer have to ask the fucking neighbours for permission re: colour of a home? If a buyer lives in a Home Owners Association community the rules are different and the person was made aware of such things before buying. Whatever happened to mind your own fucking business and get a life of your own?

In Winter Park, FL where I used to live, some breeder fucks screamed about the same thing when a childless/childfree couple painted their home all sorts of colours with swirls and flowers. All that bitching got was the press out there to do a story and take photos. The house looked cool. The neighbourhood was not "high class" at all but very "working class", which is fine, but the busybodies acted like they had these million-dollar homes where the value would plummet. Even if that were the case, it is no one's business how someone decorates or paint unless the complainer is making the mortgage payments.
July 11, 2007
Fuck. The. Pigs.
July 12, 2007
its the casual brutality that worries me. if the police can use force to arrest a 70 year old, and injure them.

it seems to me that the police are using more and more force to detain people.

and even if they hurt, injure, damage the suspected person, they are not punished.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login