Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tahki hates romantic comedies.

Posted by Tahki [N.L.I.] 
Tahki [N.L.I.]
Tahki hates romantic comedies.
July 27, 2007
I will always hate this god-awful movie genre for a few key reasons...

a) The plot is almost always the same--see the rant about Chick Flicks on Heartless Bitches. Woman meets Mayun, Woman is not sure she likes Mayun and debates going steady, decides to, they run around going out for a few days/weeks/months, the question is popped, they get married and then go off to make those damn babies and supposedly live happily ever after...

b) The woman is almost always this sappy, wannamoo, hokey thing, and if she isn't, if she even shows a HINT of her wanting to stand up for herself or be cool--oops! Time for a sudden plot twist!

c) The KEEDZ are ALWAYS involved! Take the new movie 'No Reservations'...I actually thought of giving it a try (No, Tahki, no!) until I found out about Mayun and Niecey-Poo toning down the main character's wild streak...

Aack...I suck. ;_; I just wanted to see what other people's thoughts were on these films as well...
Re: Tahki hates romantic comedies.
July 30, 2007
I love movies!! Almost...I have grown to hate most anything that goes through hollywood including all romantic comedies, even if they're directed by my favorite directors. And I'm a woman too!

One romantic movie I can recommend is "The Science Of Sleep" which is more of a total trippy visual exploration of insanity vs. reality. There is some romance, maybe, but it's hard to tell. There are no children involved! I also liked the other film by that director, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". It does have Jim Carrey, who I hate, but again it's more of an exploration of interpersonal relationships, what is real and what isn't? and how time works. And still no kids! And Jim Carrey is actually not annoying. Oh Michel Gondry, you are an awesome filmmaker.
July 30, 2007
I'll watch romantic comedies once the hit Direct TV. It is a diversion from "real life" but I do not choose the ones where the woman decides to have those babies after having to battle with the man who is hollaring for a breeder. I am the most unromantic person in the world, though. I do not believe in all of that stuff yet I do not need to limit my viewing to overly serious stuff as in the past.
July 30, 2007
theres shaun of the dead, a rom zom com.. wink.. now thats a good romantic film, with some zombies and mayhem and slaughter.. wink

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
August 02, 2007
Hrm, I never considered Shaun of the Dead to be a romantic movie at all...
August 02, 2007
well you have shaun and his girlfriend, they split up, and he goes to rescue her, and they end up together.. what better that going to save the woman you love, from zombies.. if thats not romantic..

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
August 03, 2007
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well you have shaun and his girlfriend, they split
> up, and he goes to rescue her, and they end up
> together.. what better that going to save the
> woman you love, from zombies.. if thats not
> romantic..

That really is cool...:smoke

I like your style, Merc...:sw
August 03, 2007
of course theres a zombie in the shed.. wink.. shauns best friend..

August 06, 2007
Anyone here see Hot Fuzz, by the guys who did Shaun of the Dead?
August 06, 2007
if you can watch spaced.. the series one and two, theres little in jokes that are in shaun and hot fuzz.. that you wouldnt get..unless you saw the series..

fraid i am more of a zombie fan wink..

August 07, 2007
I am a fan of funny...
is "spaced" a television show? Do you know if it's available on DVD?
August 07, 2007
yes its a 2 series show, and its out on dvd. at least in the uk and it stars most of the actors in shaun..

they have them as imports from the uk on amazon.com.

this is the other link from amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Spaced-Jessica-Stevenson/dp/B00005JOQ5/ref=pd_bbs_6/103-1172967-6859062?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1186513352&sr=8-6

This show is one of the best I've seen in years. It is a story about two friends (Tim and Daisy) who pretend to be a couple in order to rent a flat that stipulates "professional couples only" in the ad. What follows is a story of their friendships with each other and their housemates, their struggles with employment, and life in London. The show is comprised of flashbacks, fantasy sequences, great sound effects, and a crazy script that leaves you wondering "what are they thinking?" In the end, though, this show feels warm and real. And funny. REALLY funny.

this is the uk one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spaced-Definitive-Collectors-Jessica-Stevenson/dp/B0002LXU6I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-8232716-6074227?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1186513498&sr=8-1

http://www.spaced-out.org.uk/ this is the official fan site

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login