Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Middle Class Living On the Edge

Posted by Techie 
Middle Class Living On the Edge
December 08, 2007
This is an interesting article:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/MiddleClassLivingOnTheEdge.aspx

If the USA is going to be so "pro-family", then why do they allow the middle class to collapse like that?

All I ever se on TV is "family, family, family". Yeah, OK. Like I said in many of my previous posts, things for "family oriented" have not hit the bottom yet. They will. No doubt there.
Re: Middle Class Living On the Edge
December 10, 2007
The problem is that most family people got into home loans they could not afford once the adjustable rates went up. The USA and taxpayers are not responsible for those people. Many go into buying a house because they think it is the thing to do and how they will be "home owners". Noooo...they are paying the bank rent until they make the last payment. I know of one couple, now divorced, who bought a home over $110,000 in the Orlando area and only put down $5 grand. There was the boo-hoo from my former moo friend of how her $14/hourly salary was eaten up by the mortgage and car payments. *Gasp*...she only had $40 left to spend after payday once she and her husband paid the bills. I am sure her child was angry for not being as spoiled materially. God...that kid was one nasty thing. People need to learn to live within their means. The economy is always up and down...
Ketchup
December 10, 2007
I hate MSN. They publish these fearmongering articles on one hand, and on the other it's all pro-Lifescript (buy things you can't afford, breed, spend, spend, spend or else people won't think you're NORMAL and you wouldn't want THAT would you??)
Keep pushing the pro-family bullshit and pro-Jesus agendas and most of America will keep voting against their class interests. MSN is a tool of evil that is intended to keep the sheeple dumb and pliable, with ever their wallets open and their minds closed.
December 10, 2007
Ketchup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate MSN. They publish these fearmongering
> articles on one hand, and on the other it's all
> pro-Lifescript (buy things you can't afford,
> breed, spend, spend, spend or else people won't
> think you're NORMAL and you wouldn't want THAT
> would you??)
> Keep pushing the pro-family bullshit and pro-Jesus
> agendas and most of America will keep voting
> against their class interests. MSN is a tool of
> evil that is intended to keep the sheeple dumb and
> pliable, with ever their wallets open and their
> minds closed.

That's the goal of corporate media AND our government. Keep the sheep afraid and insecure, and they'll keep raking in the money. Most Americans buy into it because we're all socialized that way, and there are few opportunities to get alternate view points. Or at least, there are few EASY opportunities to get alternate view points. We want our crap pre-chewed and spoon fed because we're too busy trying to impress the boss man (like we're supposed to) so we can buy that crap that they say will make us better people.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
December 11, 2007
as a british visitor who travels to amrica a bit, when i say rowan is coming to live in the uk, i get looked at as if she is somehow mad for wanting to leave that place.

and i think its the same sort of thing, why go look elsewhere when you have a "utopia" here. rowan has seen the uk and how it is, its gotten worse this last year or so as everyone is worried about the new pm, but we have more freedoms.

they dont want people to think or experience real life, then they will realise its a bigger world out of there. at least thats my opinion.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
December 11, 2007
Rowan is the lucky one! She gets to LEAVE!

The USA used to be a great place to live, but it's gone to hell. If I was single and didn't have so many pets, I'd have left years ago.
December 11, 2007
amethusos* Wrote:
> The problem is that most family people got into
> home loans they could not afford once the
> adjustable rates went up. The USA and taxpayers
> are not responsible for those people. Many go into
> buying a house because they think it is the thing
> to do and how they will be "home owners".
> Noooo...they are paying the bank rent until they
> make the last payment. I know of one couple, now
> divorced, who bought a home over $110,000 in the
> Orlando area and only put down $5 grand. There was
> the boo-hoo from my former moo friend of how her
> $14/hourly salary was eaten up by the mortgage and
> car payments. *Gasp*...she only had $40 left to
> spend after payday once she and her husband paid
> the bills. I am sure her child was angry for not
> being as spoiled materially. God...that kid was
> one nasty thing. People need to learn to live
> within their means. The economy is always up and
> down...

It looks like economy is down for good for now. I do not owe anything but I do not have anything to sell either. At least, if I had a newer car, I could sell that for a few grand, but I drive old stuff, I try to live within my means. Loosing a job is a shitty situation to me. Just for the sake of medical insurance I need my job. I have no idea how people live on $14.00/hour and hope and pray to all higher powers that I never find out.

Houses are a huge expense. But do people understand that kids cost even more?

Your friend has a mortgage and a car payment? That's insane. Newer cars cost $600/month and do no more than most older stuff out there.
December 12, 2007
Techie Wrote:
> I have
> no idea how people live on $14.00/hour and hope
> and pray to all higher powers that I never find
> out.

In Central Florida, that is actually decent money...especially since my former friend had no education but certification for medical assistant which pays shit. Ex-friend was in the right place at the right time and got the promotions. Even after her second divorce, she did fine in an apartment. I know the car payment was about $250/monthly. Costs of insurance and everything else adds up with those new cars, though. Houses are insane unless the person has the discretionary income to deal with it all. With her 2nd husband, there were two good incomes.

Stupid thing is the woman quit her job over some fallout with co-workers. Some people keep on doing idiotic stuff but land on their feet. Now, she married to Jerk #3, who makes way less than her. Most of the expenses are paid by her. Of course, she was preggo before the third try at saying, "I do," and has crapped out another kid. She works at home for a property management company and makes about the same or a little more $$$ now that she is in Miami. I don't get it because I know people who ARE smart and do have degrees to back it up but have trouble finding work that pays over $10/hourly.
Ketchup
December 15, 2007
This guy is my hero.

http://www.unconventionalideas.com/graduate.html
December 17, 2007
Ketchup Wrote:
> This guy is my hero.
>
> http://www.unconventionalideas.com/graduate.html

That was great! Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login