Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Earthqauke in the UK

Posted by mercurior 
Earthqauke in the UK
February 27, 2008
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=519968&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770

England has been rocked by the biggest earthquake to hit the country in 25 years.

The quake, measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale, hit at 1am this morning and the tremors were strong enough to wake even deep sleepers.

David Bates narrowly escaped death when a chimney smashed through the roof of his terraced home and crashed into his bedroom.

David 19, was asleep in bed when the quake shook through the former South Yorkshire pit village of Wombwell.

He was woken in his attic bedroom, by falling masonry as the brick chimney stack was dislodged by the force of the ten second shaking.

Send your pictures or videos of the earthquake's destruction to pictures@dailymail.co.uk

Scroll down for more...

Shocked: Grimsby resident Ruth Starr, 22, was woken by the earthquake and horrified to discover the destruction

David shouted out in pain as he was left in agony and trapped by the weight of the pile of brickwork at his home.

Dad Paul, asleep in an adjoining bedroom woke when he heard the noise of the chimney falling and then heard his son.

Paul said: "We heard a bang and my son screaming 'dad'. I ran upstairs to the attic and saw him lying there trapped by this big of masonry on his hip.

"I rolled it off and he said 'I think I've broken my pelvis or something'. I dialled 999 but we couldn't get through to the emergency services , all the phones lines seemed to be dead.

"The police finally came and they managed to go down and fetch paramedics. David is in hospital and is due to have an operation for a broken pelvis."

People as far apart as Yorkshire, Manchester, Merseyside, Lincolnshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and London said they felt the tremor.

Many homes and businesses across the country were also damaged by the tremor.

Scroll down for more...

Clearing up: A homeowner in Hull sweeps up after brickwork was brought tumbling down

The quake's epicentre was near Market Rasen, in Lincolnshire, but people across England said they felt buildings shaking shortly before 1am.

Lee Rushworth, 29, from Hartlepool, was woken up when the tremor made his sofa shake against the bedroom wall of his ground floor flat.

"I thought someone was banging on the wall behind me but there was no-one there," he said.

Scroll down for more ...

Damage: Firemen secure toppled chimney stacks on houses in Grimsby following this morning's earthquake

Today's quake is the largest since 1984 when an earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale shook the Lleyn Peninsula of north Wales and was widely felt across England and Wales.

Sylvia Tidy-Harris, from Ellistown, Leicestershire said: "It was like a big juggernaut was coming down the road. It was very loud and the whole house shook."

Sarah Milligan, from Stockport, is four months pregnant and was thrown to the floor by the tremor. "The whole house was shaking so I stood up off the sofa trying to see what happened. My legs gave way.

"I've had to go to hospital to make sure the baby is okay."

Scroll down for more...

Earthquake: The UK was rocked by the quake which hit 5.2 on the Richter scale

Jamie Rolls, 38, of Colchester, said: "It was the strangest thing I've ever felt. The whole room was moving and I looked down to a glass of Coke on the table and it started bubbling up. The whole tremor lasted about 20 seconds in two separate waves."

Scroll down for more...

Smashed: A car's window is hit by falling debris in Hull

Chris Wallwork, 58, was sitting at his computer in the upstairs study of his 18th-century cottage in Eaton Bray near Dunstable, Beds, when he felt it begin to sway. "It was really weird. I felt the cottage sway very slowly three or four times."

Kultaran Singh, from Derby, said: "I was woken up in the middle of deep sleep. I thought I was going to slide off the bed, which was shaking along with the walls and all the furniture.

"I thought at first that part of my house had collapsed. But the whole thing only lasted about five minutes, and I couldn't believe there was no damage given how strong the tremor felt."

Scroll down for more...

Rubble: The quake was so strong in Leeds that it caused structural damage

Bernard Wakefield-Heath, 49, of Stroud, in Gloucestershire, said the tremor shook his block of flats.

Mr Wakefield-Heath, a business consultant, said: "I live in the middle section and I could feel everything around me move, shaking quite considerably.

"It lasted about 10 to 15 seconds at least.

"I remember the quake a few years ago and when you feel something like that, you don't forget it."

John Jenkin, from Bourne in Lincolnshire, was woken by the tremors and said that objects had fallen from shelves.

"I was woken up. It was hell," said Mr Jenkin. "The police around here suddenly became very busy."

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Ambulance Service said: "We had an emergency call to Wombwell, Barnsley. A chimney had come through the bedroom roof."

She said the man suffered injuries to his pelvis and was taken to Barnsley District Hospital.

Scroll down for more...

Damaged: Windows at this house smashed during the earthquake in Leeds

A spokesman for The Met Office said: "We have been getting calls from all over the country. It appears to have affected all of England."

East Midlands Ambulance Service, which covers Lincolnshire, said there had been a lot of emergency calls but no reports of injuries.

"Most of them were from elderly people who were quite frightened," a spokeswoman said.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) initially gave the magnitude for the 12.56am earthquake as 5.3 on the Richter scale but has now said it was closer to 5.2.

It said the centre was 8km east of Market Rasen, Lincolnshire, and 22km south west of Grimsby.

Seismologist Dr Brian Baptie of the BGS said: "This is a significant earthquake for the UK and will have been widely felt across England and Wales."

The BGS said it records around 200 earthquakes in the UK each year - an eighth of which are able to be felt by residents.

It said earthquakes of this size occur in the mainland UK around every 30 years but are more common in offshore areas.

Buildings are deemed to be at risk from earthquakes above 5 on the Richter Scale, according to the Environment Agency.

Last April, more than 70 homes were cordoned off near Folkestone in Kent following a tremor of 4.3 at around 8.20am. the biggest earthquake to hit Britain in five years.

The largest earthquake recorded in the UK was about 75 miles north-east of Great Yarmouth in the North Sea on 7 June, 1931. It measured 6.1 and was felt across Britain, in eastern Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, and parts of Germany, France, Norway and Denmark.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Earthqauke in the UK
February 27, 2008
So, did you feel it?

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Re: Earthqauke in the UK
February 27, 2008
i would have loved to have said the earth moved for me.. but i slept through it ;-(..

i do remember the one in the 80's the walls rippled.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login