Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Christianity dying out?

Posted by amethusos* 
Christianity dying out?
February 27, 2008
That is not going to happen but the Wall Street Journal and the local paper did have articles re: Christian churches losing their hold. Membership is dwindling. Certain parts of Florida sees a spike due to the 'snowbirds' aka the retirees who come to warmer parts to escape the Northern winters. Christianity's numbers getting lower is something I see as a good thing. For too long, religion got into the lives of non-believers via politics when it came to abortion and sexuality as well as other areas such as forcing creation studies over science in school. I do not care if someone wants to practice a form of superstition but do not want my life governed by their religious beliefs becoming law. Non-denominational churches are gaining numbers but, as a whole, it is not as heavy as in past years.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120397797646491695.html

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/022608/met_251029157.shtml
Re: Christianity dying out?
February 27, 2008
Hmmm..this elicits as much concern and sympathy from me as the decline in fertility rates among humans. That being, none. Oh no, we can't make as many copies of our selves...booo hoooooo. Oh no, the church coffers are declining...there aren't enough people willing to go spend time and money on an institution whose sole purpose seems to be to make them more ignorant and unhappy. Kind of seems like they did it to themselves, really.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
February 27, 2008
there seems to me to be a more polarising thing now.

the religious nutters get worse, the people who dont really beleive. still dont beleive but by comparison. I choose what fits in with my beleifs i take some of the commandments, i take some of the pagan beliefs, some buddistic. and turned it into something that fits my life. and i firmly beleive thats what people are doing.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Matush
February 27, 2008
The funny thing is that I don't think Jesus even liked organized religion. Doesn't he spend much of the new testament criticizing temple elders (and in turn getting tortured by them?).
February 28, 2008
As an atheist I do good things because it is it's own reward. I don't do these things because I'm afraid of sky daddy, because sky daddy tells me to or because it'll get me a higher position in my "next life".

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
February 28, 2008
Matush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The funny thing is that I don't think Jesus even
> liked organized religion. Doesn't he spend much
> of the new testament criticizing temple elders
> (and in turn getting tortured by them?).

This may get some people PO'd but Jesus was not this man of peace. In the Babble, he said he had not come to bring peace but the sword and went on with the bit of turning mother against daughter, father against son, brother against brother, and so forth. He was a revolutionary in the same way some of the Muslim fanatics are in this era. Most Christians really do not know who "their" Jesus is. Again...just my opinion...lurking
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login