Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Idol

Posted by amethusos* 
American Idol
February 28, 2008
At first, Amanda Overmyer seemed alright despite her 1970's rocker girl thing a bit cliche as she is only 23. Hell, she was not even born when her own idol, Janice Joplin, was making the scene. I am finding her a bit obnoxious with the biker girl attitude and tough-talking voice. Funny how she is a nurse but with the glam-rock girl look...unless she only cleans up for work. Nothing worse than a young adult sproglette trying to be so "down from the past" when she was not even a blip on the radar back then. Just my opinion...eye rolling smiley
Re: American Idol
February 28, 2008
i like john lee hooker, aretha franklin, nina simone.. i love the music i love the look of the old blues singers, the hats glasses.. you can love an old type of music and maybe look a bit like how your idols look.

hell during the adam and the ants, new romantics phase i dressed up in frilly shirts, and he was twice my age then. did i look like an idiot definatly.. but it was what a lot of uk youths did.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
February 28, 2008
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i like john lee hooker, aretha franklin, nina
> simone.. i love the music i love the look of the
> old blues singers, the hats glasses.. you can love
> an old type of music and maybe look a bit like how
> your idols look.

Yeah, that is true. I find the girl so obnoxious, though. It is as if she thinks she is Janis Joplin.
>
> hell during the adam and the ants, new romantics
> phase i dressed up in frilly shirts, and he was
> twice my age then. did i look like an idiot
> definatly.. but it was what a lot of uk youths
> did.

At least, you did not do the Boy George thing. Hear that he is in trouble yet again? Kidnapping is the latest charge.

I remember The Romantics.
February 28, 2008
well i went down that route slightly, this was just before new romantics became goths. The was no way i was going to go androgynous wink.. but to lose yourself as your hero, that is a problem.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
February 28, 2008
Ugh. American Eye-dull...but now that you've got me started, here's the problem...just because something is voted "most popular" doesn't mean it's good by any stretch of the imagination. These Idols may start out seeming different with actual talent and creativity, but once they're through the meat grinder - they all sound the same, over processed and dull. The music is crap,their voices are all the same (yay computers to smooth it all out) and the song writing is abysmal. I guess it's what happens when you're driven by money and not passion.

NONE of the greatest artists would have ever made Idol muster, they weren't pretty enough, they didn't have perfect pitch, their song writing was too challenging and they didn't put on an "Up With People" dance fest.
Seriously, Tina Turner? Never in a million years. Stevie Wonder? My god! He's blind!! Aretha Franklin? What a fatty! Nina Simone? Too manly...same as Patsy Cline. Lou Reed? Eeek, creepy! John Lennon? But can he dance?

There is lots of good music in the world and fortunately, it won't ever be on American Idol.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
February 29, 2008
It is pretty easy to guess who is going to win Idol. Anyone with creativity and who does not look like they will fit into Hollywood's standards of looks are eventually voted off regardless of being really good. Funny thing is most of the "Idols" do not do a whole lot after the show even if they are the runner up.
Ketchup
March 09, 2008
I can't stand American Idol. Have you guys heard that awful song called "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood (former Idol)? The one where she talks about destroying some guy's car because he's cheating on her? What a crazy redneck bitch! The scary thing though is how popular that song is!
March 09, 2008
its because she thinks he is cheating on her, not that is has, at least thats what the lyrics says.

but that kind of song is a staple of the C&W scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_He_Cheats

Before He Cheats" tells the story of a woman taking revenge on her unfaithful boyfriend. She imagines him at a bar flirting with a "bleach-blond" girl, and eventually "getting lucky" with her. In retaliation, she vandalizes his car by keying it, carving her name into the side of his leather seats, smashing the headlights with a baseball bat, and slashing the tires. She hopes that this will make him "think before he cheats" again.

The song was originally written as "Before SHE Cheats" by its male songwriters. However, with the male/female lyrical roles reversed, it was concluded that the song was somewhat disturbing. Carrie Underwood liked the song nevertheless and reinterpreted the song in its present state from a female perspective.

March 10, 2008
Ketchup Wrote:
> I can't stand American Idol. Have you guys heard
> that awful song called "Before He Cheats" by
> Carrie Underwood (former Idol)? The one where she
> talks about destroying some guy's car because he's
> cheating on her? What a crazy redneck bitch! The
> scary thing though is how popular that song is!

It is scary! Carrie Underwood was 'marketable' which is why she won Idol but I felt her to be fake even though she was considered once of the nicer people from that season. As a female, I would not like the song. I've been on that end of the stick in a relationship in the past. My response was, "Go for it..." I never fought over a guy. If a man wanted to be with someone else or his interest in me was waning, I ended it really quick. No tear; no drama; no destruction of personal property. I have more dignity. The thing I hate about the song is that it keeps women thinking the idiotic "All is fair in love and war" as if love should be considered a 'war'. Well, how people treat each other, it often becomes one. Besides that little side comment, it reinforces the attitude that a woman must keep on fighting for that man even if he is with someone else. Besides, why on earth would anyone want to stay with a partner after s/he keyed his/her car and did all sorts of other damage to make certain s/he "thought about it before cheating again". Carrie is starting to have some serious problems...
March 10, 2008
but its not that he is with anyone, its she thinks he is with someone. Not that he was.

but thats a lot of the problem, presumed guilty.

March 10, 2008
Bleaurgh...
Seriously, if someone is cheating on you, does anyone think that destroying their property is going to make them come back AND be faithful?

Then again, you won't ever hear the song "End The Relationship and Move On With Your Life" that's too boring...and empowering...and empowered people don't spend their money on stupid albums by talentless singers.

I wish there were less of an "everyone is monogamous all the time" mentality and more of a "some people can't swing monogamy and that's okay".

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
March 10, 2008
Feh Wrote:

> I wish there were less of an "everyone is
> monogamous all the time" mentality and more of a
> "some people can't swing monogamy and that's
> okay".

That is more the truth when it comes to sexual relationships. Most people are not monogamous. It goes against nature. 60% of women polled admitted to sexual affairs when females thought to be sexually incapable of infidelity in the past. Men are getting what they put out for years since they really do not like it when their wives do what they do.
March 10, 2008
mercurior Wrote:
> but its not that he is with anyone, its she thinks
> he is with someone. Not that he was.
>
> but thats a lot of the problem, presumed guilty.

If someone is not secure enough to believe the person is being faithful, she needs to end the relationship ASAP and get out. Jealousy rearing it's ugly head will always be an issue.
March 10, 2008
yes, but quite frequently, people cant see their own flaws. or they may be someone who thinks its always someone elses fault. they never saw that it was their own actions that may cause the next incident.

March 12, 2008
A lot of people can deal with monogamy, like me. I just don't feel like I need to screw everything that walks by, even if it's super hot, and even if its offered freely to me. I trust my partner is the same way. Of course I've trusted other partners in the past who weren't but, each person is an individual and should be treated as such. I can't judge my current partner based on past partners because they are vastly different people with different experiences.

That said, I know many people who are quite honest in their lack of desire to practice monogamy. They are adult enough to buck "the norm" and honest enough to not try to shove themselves into a monogamy hole where they'll be miserable, act out and make their monogamous partner miserable with cheating. They have open relationships or no long term relationships at all, and are more than happy with their relatively drama free situations.

It's not a flaw, it's just how a person is. Not everyone is built to be monogamous, but society says that, like childfreedom, if you aren't, you will be miserable in the end for making choices based on your own personal preferences. People are not encouraged to know themselves, because people who know themselves aren't going to all march in lockstep with societies demands for the protective sameness of a herd.

--Me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login