Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Your pets- whatchugot?

Posted by Rose Red 
Your pets- whatchugot?
June 12, 2008
I have noticed alot of us have cats and Married With Rabbits, well, I guess has a Rhino- What does everyone have?

3 cats here.
Re: Your pets- whatchugot?
June 12, 2008
2 dogs, and several house spiders (yes as pets. betterthan chemical fly killers)

we also have birds that come into the house and ask to be fed..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
June 12, 2008
5 dogs ( i know, im wacked)
2 cats (I have had both of my cats 14 yrs now)
June 12, 2008
nokyds4me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 5 dogs ( i know, im wacked)
> 2 cats (I have had both of my cats 14 yrs now)

That seriously rocks.
June 12, 2008
2 cats, 2 goldfish, 1 betta and a tank of assorted fish
I'd have more if I could, but I can't so I don't...imagine that logic.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Anonymous User
June 12, 2008
I had two super-cute rats back home in NZ. My aunt took them in after I moved to Canada. One of them passed away a few months after I got here sad smiley I was pretty devastated, knowing that I hadn't been able to give her a final cuddle and say goodbye. The other one is still going strong (so I hear) but I miss her a lot. Rats are great, it just sucks that their lifespan is so short!
Anonymous User
July 22, 2008
A yorkshire-cockapoo cross, Buttons, who is totally neurotic about food. 11 years.
Colourpoint lynx 'Tanzi', @ 4 years.
A recent addition of a Betta (in a 1 1/2 gallon tank, so he does have some room to swim.. heater, filter), "Mr Cheeky--this says it all."
July 22, 2008
two cents ¢¢ Wrote:
> A yorkshire-cockapoo cross, Buttons, who is
> totally neurotic about food. 11 years.
> Colourpoint lynx 'Tanzi', @ 4 years.
> A recent addition of a Betta (in a 1 1/2 gallon
> tank, so he does have some room to swim.. heater,
> filter), "Mr Cheeky--this says it all."

Is your Lynx the kind of wildcat?
Krishna
July 22, 2008
Piranhas!
Anonymous User
July 23, 2008
we have a very spoilt old enlgish sheepdog
July 31, 2008
Three kitties, all of whom were strays I picked up out of the backyard.

My sibling kitties Caspurr and Rolly just turned 11 this past March and they seriously don't seem to have aged externally since they were about five. Rolly got really fat (17 pounds!), but they are all in good health.

My other boy is Kip, who appears to be some sort of Maine Coon mix. I plucked him out of the backyard about three years ago and he's the biggest lap cat I've ever seen.
Mean Person
July 31, 2008
2 dogs
1 cat (my personal time capsule--I've had her for 17 years)
1 mouse
2 turtles*
Several of the following*: firebelly toads, newts, fish and the occasional snake or other generic salamandar.

*The reptiles and amphibians are pretty much my husband's. He's been into them since he was 15 and is completely responsible for their care. I can't take any credit. Come to think of it, he cleans the mouse cage too. He's really good at doing the habitrail-type designs (we've got about a kazillion pieces to play with).
August 01, 2008
Mean Person Wrote:
> 2 dogs
> 1 cat (my personal time capsule--I've had her for
> 17 years)
> 1 mouse
> 2 turtles*
> Several of the following*: firebelly toads, newts,
> fish and the occasional snake or other generic
> salamandar.
>
> *The reptiles and amphibians are pretty much my
> husband's. He's been into them since he was 15 and
> is completely responsible for their care. I can't
> take any credit. Come to think of it, he cleans
> the mouse cage too. He's really good at doing the
> habitrail-type designs (we've got about a
> kazillion pieces to play with).

That's a great array! Do your kid(s) help with their care? That is so important.
Mean Person
August 01, 2008
Yes, my kid (only got 1) does help out with the care of the animals, though she's only 5 so it's just to a limited extent and very supervised. I agree that it's important. Very important. Living things are not toys; they need to eat and be cleaned up after and attended to medically. If you mess with them, they might bite you. I grew up with animals always in the house and I think it was one of the many things that helped prevent me from becoming a knocked-up teen moo.

Most of the animals were my husband's choice. I've always been more of a "cat" person, and if left to my own devices would probably have at least 2 of them. But we acquired the two dogs last fall, and I've fallen completely in love with them. They're a riot! The reptiles and amphibians are cool and interesting, but I'm a little more removed from them than DH and DD are. They're very soothing to watch though. I could stare at them for hours.
August 04, 2008
MP, you have got the right approach. It's hard to get all up close and personal with a reptile, but my iguana taught me alot about sharing the planet with something ancient and not involved at all with one's own personal agenda.
August 14, 2008
2 great mutts--one very loving black lab-hound mix, and one chow that I think had a good dose of pit bull. They are best buds, and their personalities are so different it's amazing to me. Molly (lab) is a big-hearted, graceful, gangly girl who will lean harder and harder against your legs for endless pets while whapping your legs with her big tail and Willie (chow) is a stately, somewhat diffident li'l fireplug who will take a treat from your fingers with the utmost gentleness, and ask for pets by patting your leg with his paw. He's a cupcake. (Sigh).
bratBgone
September 18, 2008
roger Wrote:
> we have a very spoilt old enlgish sheepdog

OMG!!! My childhood companion was an old english named Watson. He was THE friendliest dog in the world. I'll bet you spend a lot of time grooming it! What's yours named?

I have 2 kitty girls, Pixie and Sophie. They're extremely spoiled, and very loving to us, but not to each other sad smiley
September 21, 2008
3 cats (all males,) 4, 1, and 3 months.
Umbrella cockatoo (female,) 12.
Julie
October 02, 2008
Hey guys! It's so cool that so many of the CF love animals. I don't know what I'd do without my pets. The thought of giving them up to have a stupid baybeeee makes me sick! So... My babies include:

-Stanley, an 8 year old white kitty...my little poopie. I love him so. He likes to drink out of the toilet and lay spread eagle next to the kitchen table.

-Henry, a 1 1/2 year old white kitty - I love the white kitties...I wanna get an odd eye white one of these days. Henry was a rescue at the local pet store and I couldn't resist. Went in the get crickets for Rosie, came out with a new kitten!

-Pickles (8 years) and Punkin' (3 years), male lovebirds...it's out time as we speak. Lovies are in the bathroom, their favorite place lately. I adore birds. These birds are so sweet, once you earn their trust.

-Toby (3 years), male Pacific parrotlet...he came out earlier. He likes to go to bed early! He talks in a tiny, garbled voice... Whatcha doo? Hi, Toe-bie! SO cute!!!

-Rosie (5 years), female Chilean Rose Tarantula... She's real sweet for a big, hairy spider...I like to freak hubby out by letting her crawl on me. She also likes to crawl back and forth across the plants on the kitchen window sill.

-55 gallon salt tank (6 months) with four fishies and lots of critters... Happy and Camero the Tangs, Coop the pygmy Angelfish and Lenny the blenny. I've also got a pistol shrimp, two snails, a starfish, three hermit crabs and five soft corals. I LOVE fish, I always have to have some sort of tank. I'm thinking of setting up a freshwater in the bedroom. I've been keeping fish for about 20 years now.

Eventually I want to have a jungle room. I'm going to paint jungle and underwater murals on the walls. I'll have a nice salt aquarium, some rescued parrots and a terrarium with water dragons or true chameleons. So much better than a nursery or kids disaster bedroom! Haha!
Julie
October 03, 2008
Yes, MWR, I've got my third attempt at a salt tank goin' on. And the third time has been a charm. It's my 'learning tank'...I'm learning to build and care for a reef tank. Then I'm gonna graduate to a 150 gal!

The first attempt was way back when they didn't know much about successful saltwater keeping. It wasn't a disaster, it was just too small. The second attempt was when I was living with an ex and he bought all the stuff so I left it with him. Now I'm really starting to get the hang of it. If you practice patience, it's really not difficult. A little more expensive for all the right equipment, but once you have it, it'll last. Above all, find a knowlegable fish store...that's been a blessing for me this time around. Then just budget yourself and you can slowly build your own tiny corner of the ocean.

Your hubby should start a 'fish only' tank with live rock and puffer fish. I love those guys, too! 'Specially the dogface puffers. And crabs...they are adorable! I love to watch them crawl around and scavage, whittling their little claws and mouths!
October 03, 2008
Way to go, Jules! srsly!
October 03, 2008
Sounds like you have quite a group there, Julie smiling smiley So how do the cats get along with the birds, and the tarantula?

I have 2 cats, a brother and sister, who we got from a local rescue facility. I have this webpage with their pics if you want to see the little hams:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Julie Stiles
October 03, 2008
Awwww, m4p! What darling siblings. I love the one where kitty is perched on the chair with "arms" a-danglin'! Hehe!

Well, as much as stupid people who don't know animals say that cats are hard to train...the opposite is true! Cats are quite intelligent. They can be trained, just not as you'd train a dog. They be different animals, ya kno'. Which one of you says, "Doncha know?" all the time? That's hilarious.

Anyway, I know I still have to take precautions, like not leaving them all alone for too long while the birds are out. Cats still have deep rooted instincts. But they can learn the world 'no'. It usually takes only a few disciplinary actions to get it to sink in.

As for the tarantula, she's in a ten gallon tank on the dresser. There are a coupla heavy rocks in the tank, as well as ON the slightly ill-fitting screen lid. Rosie's not a hyper bug. She just sits in there lookin' all fuzzy with her teeny pile of eyes peering at you. It's relaxing to watch her crawl along slowly, trailing little silk strands from her spinnerets.

Hah! As you can tell, I like writin' 'bout my critters. I've also had a nice glass of whine (as you might also be able to tell). AAaahhhh...

Here are some links to some pics:

My favorite shot of Coop the Angel next to a mushroom...

A hermit crab next to a mushroom and coral:

Stan and Henry:

Toby in 'stealth mode'...he makes no sound, he just hides:

Rosie in her old small tank:

Punkin' and Pickles:

All three birdies at the 'watering hole':
October 06, 2008
As far "training cats" I just learned to speak cat. Or, rather, Bear taught me. Now i AM Mufasa.
Julie
October 06, 2008
"As far "training cats" I just learned to speak cat. Or, rather, Bear taught me. Now i AM Mufasa."

Hahahahahaha!!! I'm certainly not there...yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login