Re: Your pets- whatchugot?
October 07, 2008
Julie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "As far "training cats" I just learned to speak
> cat. Or, rather, Bear taught me. Now i AM
> Mufasa."
>
> Hahahahahaha!!! I'm certainly not there...yet.

The trick is absolutely NOT to let them get away with the "I'm a dumb animal and can't understand you" routine. They understand perfectly well. I've had cat owners come to my house and wonder why there isn't a single tear or scratch in my upholstery. The answer? I don't allow it. They respect me and they get unconditional love. Often when I am reading or watching tv i'll look up and all 3 will be in the room with me- big house, 3 floors, the basement has a little castle and a 4' scratching post but they opt to be a pride. That's how i know I'm doing a good job.
October 08, 2008
I have 27 cats total, 21 outsiders and 6 insiders. There are countless raccoon, o'possum, deer, and birds of all types that hang around and get fed (or eat whatever they want) as well. I try to make my property as animal friendly as possible. I have thought about adopting some dogs, but if I didn't keep them in pens or chained up then if they strayed off of my land they would likely get shot by one of these hillbillies. I don't like to chain or fence dogs up and there is no way these insider cats (especially the older two) would put up with any dog instrusions or otherwise I'd get a few insider dogs.

As for cats doing tricks, I have had MANY who did. It's really all up to the individual cat if he wants to grace you with doing a trick. Some absolutely will NOT even try, but others seem to enjoy it. I try to watch for things that they like to do naturally and then turn it into a "trick". I had a cat once (Snuggles) who could sit upon command, much like a dog, and stand on her back legs and beg as well with the front paws going like dog's do. Snuggles would also "speak" upon command and I have only had one other who would speak, so it's not an easy one to teach, UNLESS they WANT to do it. I have a cat named Sabrina who can turn off a light on command, although she won't do it as much now that she's a senior citizen, but she can still do it. She is fascinated with light so she knows all kinds of flashlight games/tricks. She drives me crazy when the power goes out though.

I have had several cats who would fetch and return on command which is an easy trick to teach a cat, you just have to toss something that they like already such as bottle caps, crunched up paper, etc...then work your way up to a ball. You have to get their full attention first and make a big deal out of it when they bring it back for a replay. My husband taught one of our cats to do the "bang you are dead" trick and she will just PLOP on her side and lay there like she has been shot, like a dog. Cats, again IF they want to, can be taught at very young ages to give massages as well, which is easy since they like to make biscuits anyway. I have had several who would give WONDERFUL soft paw neck massages for 15 and 20 minutes at a time. That is basically a matter of getting them to do it once and then figuring out one simple word or phrase that they seem to like that will trigger them to do it again when asked.

They also understand various words and respond according to how they have been trained. I can say the word "TREAT" in any tone, at any time of day, yelled or at a near whisper, in any room of the house and every one of those cats will emerge from wherever they are and line up at my feet. They don't always get treats either, but of course they always get extra pets and praise. I trained them to do this because I have a fear of fire in this old two story wood framed house and that they might hide under a bed or something and perish in the fire. So, I guess that "treat" is a kitty fire drill of sorts.tongue sticking out smiley
October 08, 2008
2 Dogs
A Beta fish
1 Turtle
October 09, 2008
When I move I have to have a german shepherd. 2. "Henry" and "Arnold".
October 09, 2008
AWww kidlesskim, your bunch sounds like a blast! Yea, that's pretty much how I taught Henry to fetch...making a big 'ol deal every time he brought his little mousy back. Now we have to HIDE mousy when he gets too overzealous and starts biting our toes if we ignore him for longer than 30 seconds after he returns with it and drops it at our feet. Little turd. HA!

Awww, RR...German Shepherds are my favorite dogs. I love your names, too...
October 10, 2008
Seacreature Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AWww kidlesskim, your bunch sounds like a blast!
> Yea, that's pretty much how I taught Henry to
> fetch...making a big 'ol deal every time he
> brought his little mousy back. Now we have to
> HIDE mousy when he gets too overzealous and starts
> biting our toes if we ignore him for longer than
> 30 seconds after he returns with it and drops it
> at our feet. Little turd. HA!
>
> Awww, RR...German Shepherds are my favorite dogs.
> I love your names, too...

Henry after Mr. Kissenger

Arnold after Mr. Schwartzeneggar

I figure they are ambassadors of sorts....
October 10, 2008

Henry after Mr. Kissenger

Arnold after Mr. Schwartzeneggar

I figure they are ambassadors of sorts....

German Shepherd ambassadors. That's so darling. Yes, they are such intelligent, loyal, strong and not to mention beautiful dogs. I saw a lady walking her two the other day. It was so cool, one was the mostly tan markings with black hilights and the other was mostly black with tan hilights. So lovely...
October 12, 2008
Awww, everyone has such cute kids smiling smiley
I have some pics of mine too:

Kippy:

Caspurr:

Rolly:

And just for fun...a LOLcat I made of my sibling kitties:

October 15, 2008
What priddy kiddies you have, Cambion. And I love those LOL cats! Great job! Haha! I gotta make one of those out of the shot I got of Stans head in the toilet.

I say, if you've got cats, who the fuck needs kids?! Cats are SOOooo much cuter and entertaining!
November 07, 2008
to everyone who posted pictures, your babies are just GORGEOUS! I'm such an animal lover.

We've got 2 dogs: a black/white/brown short hair Chihuahua and a shepherd/yellow lab mix. Both girls.

5 cats: a big Ragdoll boy, a pair of huge 6-toed brothers whom I think are a mix of Siamese and Maine Coon and whatever else, a 3-legged Persian mix girl (feral rescue), and a feral rescue rust/brown tiger stripe mix girl - I did have her sister as well but she died suddenly nearly 2 years ago of a blood clot. Our 3 legged Persian mix is the auntie of these 2.

Our 16 year old dobe/lab mix boy died July 28, and a month later is when we adopted our yellow lab mix.
Anonymous User
November 12, 2008
I was thinking today of my calico cat, Trinket who died last year.. complications from old age.. she was 18.

I thank God I managed to get her back. When I separated from my now ex, my mom had a lab that did not like cats and she was afraid the dog would try to go through a window. So, for 1 year I was separated from my beloved kitty. I did get a cockatiel from an up the street neighbor whose (typical) asshole kids could not treat it decently. The bird improved markedly in the time I had it.

After about a year, my ex called me up and told me he had found a home for Trinket. "Who?" I asked. "next door neighbor, they rented our little house and they're taking the cat". "Is this the same woman who was next door to us btw?"... "Yes" "I WANT MY CAT BACK."

The farking woman was a total, complete flake who couldn't be trusted with anything, that much I had found out. My ex got stubborn, I insisted, mom got on the line as well and requested politely he return it... . Long and the short of it, I drove to Harrisburg, PA to meet up with my ex and new girlfriend and I GOT MY KITTY BACK!!!

I had 9 wonderful years with her. The dog never did go thru the window. She was a treat as she never tried to go outside, ever. I think she felt deprived as she spent every possible moment trying to sit on my chest.

The only regret I have is I should have spent more time with her during her last months... I sometimes had to be online, and she would ask to sit on me... I would hold her, and as long as I held her she would stay, but if I reached out to type something, she would move off. Sometimes she would compromise and sit on a chair next to me (I put it there for her.) I miss her. God I miss her and I'd give almost anything to have another hour with her.
November 13, 2008
My Caspurr is a bit of a lap cat too...only when I'm on my computer. But she doesn't care if I'm typing, and I'll type right over her. And for some reason, she insists I cradle her like an infant, and she will throw herself into my arms so she's laying on her back. And then she'll start cleaning herself and biting her toenails - being on her back makes it incredibly easy for her to nibble on her back toenails, which is just funny to watch. Then she falls asleep.

And she will have those occasional muscle spasms in her legs while she sleeps. She also likes to fart in my face, and then she puts her paw innocently over her nose...I've caught on to her.

I've had my siblings since they were born...eleven years of my insanity could only result in two insane cats.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login