Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Asking someone about their perfume/cologne

Posted by Miss_Hannigan 
Asking someone about their perfume/cologne
April 02, 2014
My boss wears something that smells amazing; it's like sex in a bottle. I want to ask him what fragrance he wears, but I am afraid that the question is too personal, I may creep him out out and then he'll never wear it again at the office, which would darken my day.

Would you ask? And when IS it appropriate to ask? Friends/family only?

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Re: Asking someone about their perfume/cologne
April 03, 2014
What sort of relationship do you have with your boss? If you have a comfortable one, I don't think the question is out of line. After all, it comes down to a compliment, and most people like being complimented.

If you have a very formal relationship, though, you're probably right that it would be too personal. I think it just depends on your work situation.

So basically, I'm answering with a firm "maybe." I'm probably not very helpful, am I? :p

(I love your signature line, btw.)
April 03, 2014
Maybe ask him in the context of buying a birthday (or whatever) gift for your husband or other male family member? Something like, "I'm shopping for my husband's birthday, and I'm thinking about getting him a few things for his wardrobe. Can you recommend a nice brand of dress shirts or slacks, and some nice aftershave and cologne to complete the set?" (or something like that, if you don't want to ask outright. This might sound a bit dorky but I hope you get the general idea)
April 03, 2014
Yes, this requires caution and ketchup has a good suggestion.

If he's a douche, and IIRC he's said some douche-y, chauvinist things before, he could totally get the wrong idea. Ask a douchebag guy about his cologne and he'd be thinking, "yeah, she totally wants me."
April 03, 2014
I tend to have a fairly comfortable working relationship with my co-workers, so I'd just say something like, "Hey, your cologne smells nice. What is it?"
April 03, 2014
He's very laid back and nice, and pretty handsome (not that I would ever do anything, but a gal can daydream). I'm a total slag heap in comparison, so I don't want to gross him out by making him think I'm interested in him. I'd just like to get the cologne for Mr. Hannigan.

bell_flower, the guy who made the sexist douchebag comments is actually my co-boss (it's a weird organizational crossover thing). You have a good memory.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
April 03, 2014
Well if he is such a nice guy, I would just say "You smell great! What is it?" And then tell him some story about the nasty ass dudes on the bus who wear too much Axe and you all can have a nice laugh about it.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login