Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, I'm not going to art school after all... :mad2sad smiley

Posted by strange aeons 
So, I'm not going to art school after all... :mad2sad smiley
April 16, 2014
Yeah I've been away for a while (and perhaps some of you would prefer I were still away...), but I've been buried in my coursework. ANYWAY, I checked my emails today to discover that my applicaion for art school (technically part of a university) has been rejected. I'd pinned everything on being accepted but now that's not happening so my whole life has just come to a shuddering halt. I mean, how fucking pathetic is it that my art was so substandard that even one little art school turned me down? I got as far as the interview, then fucked it up completely. I couldn't say enough about my work, I kept forgetting things and blanking on what they asked me. Fucking forgot the pictures I was supposed to bring for the ID cards too. :headbrick

Frankly, I'm humiliated, and furthermore I've ended up breaking promise that I wouldn't touch alcohol - in fact, I've been working my way steadily through the vodka since I found out. I'm not totally smashed yet (my typing's till good anyway, though I keep having to correct it), but hey-ho, I'm sure I'll get there. Good old Russia!

SO, there's the rant. I'm sure I'll find something else to do with my life, if I don't fail that is, though fuck only knows who'd be stupid enough to hire me. God, why is everything so shit? You know some other girl in my class got accepted to the school and she's thick as shit! Fucking whore. Hope her silly little student flat burns down. :mad2

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Re: So, I'm not going to art school after all... :mad2sad smiley
April 16, 2014
So sorry.

What about web design?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
April 18, 2014
1. I am sorry things did not go your way. friendly hug
2. I do not see why you think some members would prefer you stay away from the site.I do not recall you ever being mean to anyone here.
3. Rejection sucks. But who knows what the future will bring you. Please, do not despair. One door closes, another one opens.
April 19, 2014
Oh dear. What did I go and write all that for? fainting

navi8orgirl
So sorry.

What about web design?

l think I'll look into that, seeing as illustration is now out of the question. God knows it'd probably be a stabler income than being an illustrator anyway!

barren4ever
1. I am sorry things did not go your way. pals
2. I do not see why you think some members would prefer you stay away from the site.I do not recall you ever being mean to anyone here.
3. Rejection sucks. But who knows what the future will bring you. Please, do not despair. One door closes, another one opens.

Yeah, that was basically just oversensitivity + booze talking, I guess. I remember why I stopped drinking now...

I know it's not the end of the world, it's just... I had everything planned out in my head and now it's gone. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, having what I want dangled in front of me, then pulled away before I reach it...

Jesus, how am I going to tell my parents about this? They were so sure I'd get in, they're pretty much not even entertaining the idea that I'd fail. And my course tutor - he's helped me so much this year and I'll have nothing to show for it, so I'll be disappointing him too. I don't know, I guess it's the thought that I've let everyone down that's bothering me most.

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

April 19, 2014
I know it's a major blow but unless they have permanently banned you from the school you can try again next semester friendly hug. If nothing else look at another school, look at maybe the local junior colleges to just get your feet in the door. The important thing here is to not let this blow land you flat on your back in despair. You know where you messed up in the interview and now you know what your weak points are. Practice on those so when you go back you can show them that yes you are more than qualified to be in their program thumbs upwink
April 22, 2014
I'm really sorry to hear that, strange aeons. sad smiley

I wish there was some advice I could give to you, but all I can give is an internet hug and agree with the others, that new opportunities can show themselves when you least expect it.

I, for one, have missed you on the boards and hope to see more of you!
I'm just repeating what other say, but just keep going and try again or try something else. Whatever you think is the best. It's not the end of the world. I remember a certain guy who also was rejected from art school and ended up ruling a country, so who knows.
April 23, 2014
Thanks, and I've calmed down now and realised it's not such a huge thing. Especially since I talked to my tutor about it yesterday, and found he was rejected first time too and reacted the same way I did, pretty much.

Anyways, I've found out that while it's too late to apply to another university, it's not too late to apply for community colleges, so I've applied for an art course at a nearby college. It's the next step up from the course I'm doing, so it's not like I'd be wasting a year.

The parents don't know yet. I suppose I'll just have to tell them and try to weather their reactions (oh dear).

Thanks and you're all right, it's not the end of the world. I'll get there somehow, wherever "there" may be.

(Have I really been missed? That does surprise me!)

master kyle
I remember a certain guy who also was rejected from art school and ended up ruling a country, so who knows.

True. I'll try not to start a war over the rejection, though.

--------------

George Bernard Shaw

April 24, 2014
I have been thinking of you, I don't know all that much about 'the arts' though.

But - a great idea just came to me when I was at the store ~

Industrial Design.

You might like this, and you might be able to get better paying work from it, too.

I know about this from having studied and worked as a Mechanical Engineer. There is overlap in these various things - but ID is more the 'creative' stuff.

I will try to make a simplistic example -

OK a long time ago I was watching this (US) "Apprentice" show (BS thing with Donald Trump smile rolling left righteyes2) and one of the projects assigned to the suckers who got on this show was - design a new pop bottle. OK? Like a plastic bottle for Coke, Pepsi, you get the idea. And it had some 'theme' which I don't remember. So this one team came up with one that was like two round balls on top of each other. That was their "design".

Myself, as a Mechanical Engineer - what I would do with this is 'make it'. This type of container, the bottle is blow molded and the cap is injection molded. I will make this. If I didn't work at a company that made such, I would 'shop it around'. I would get the molds made and prototypes run. A common cap - that's easy to source. Speaking of - I may 'refine' the design or discuss with the designer - you need to go with a common cap for utility and cheapness sake, therefor the threads must be pitched at - etc.

I would advise you on the *making of the thing*, right?

The Industrial Designer is who creates more of the 'artistic look' or general idea. There is overlap in these areas, as well as with Industrial Engineering (this is more about efficiency of production, time studies, etc.)

Now this thing FAILED for Donald Trump because as he (correctly) pointed out - that bottle won't fit in the standard car cup holders. So that would be a failure of the design. If I were working on this as an engineer, I might point that out to you too, although that really would not be my 'job' - my job would be to make what the client brings to me. If it's a piece of shit / won't work - well, that's their problem. But, I would tell you. Work wise, I pretty much always did heavy industrial stuff.

Here is some general info on other things I mentioned here -

Mechanical Engineering

Industrial Engineering

Many people who are interested in making things go into these lines of work. It is not easy but pays well. You will need alot of Math. And Physics.

I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering
Another BS in straight Physics
And a Master's degree in Business Administration (or, MBA).

These days - I push papers. Ha. Not very creative. Money's good. I do like to make things though. I went into the work I did because I did not feel I was really all that 'artistically talented' to go into the arts. I also *do like* / have the interest in - heavy industry, and I have seen many cool things, world wide. How many people get let into a turbine hall? Only people like me smiling smiley

However - I always did want to go into Interior Design. Now, let me tell you what I plan to do about that -
First of all - there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm taking ANY more school! I got around 10 years already, I can't take any more. Gah. NO.

So ~ Real Estate! Which I already know much about from Biz School. And I figure - if I own the thing - then *I* can be the designer! There's more than one way to 'skin a cat' as they say. I'm sure you have noticed me talking on here, in various topics, about RE in general. And this is why I am interested in it. I already own two things so far (one, part of the roof fell in. Minor problem, let's not panic, ha.)

I am also trying to 'learn on my own' - from reading things online as well as borrowing books from people I know who went through Architecture and Art school and etc. I can learn on my own, why not?

You might want to look into this field as well. Architecture, drafting (CAD or hand drawn), rendering (illustrations of the proposed designs), home remodeling design for a home improvement store - help customers design their projects, there's all sorts of 'artistic' work in this arena too. And it pays pretty well.

High End Interior Design is tough to do, it's a hard field to get into, very competitive. As is super creative Architecture. JMHO - but one might *do better* with basic education in this - because there just isn't much 'high end' work out there. And, it's very competitive. Helping people design their new kitchen at the home improvement store - OK those employers *want* the CC grad with the basics. They're going to look at someone who went to some swank design school as being over qualified. And / or - such a person would not be happy with more simple work. Ah but - this is the work that *pays*.

Just a mixed bag of ideas here, thought you might pick something up from these. Other people too.

And I am as well - looking to get into some RE / Interior Design type thing. I'm rather bored of my present work (I analyze and trade commodities, metals and plastics.) It pays well, but isn't very creative or fun. I consider that this funds my RE projects. It's pretty boring. Anyone who wants to do this - get sim ed. to mine. You will need tech and biz ed. And it's alot of Math, again (for 'modeling' or 'forecasting').

We all have to keep going and 're tooling' ourselves. IMO many people make the mistake of thinking that they'll get booked into some (any) type of school program - and then the path is set and they just 'go along' and everything will fall into place. Not really though, in few instances does this really happen. The education is just the 'general knowledge' - and then it is up to you to do what you will with it.
Many people I know have had to (or just wanted to) 'change course'.

Well, just a mixed bag of ideas here. You / anyone might get an inspiration from some thought here.

Oh wait - I nearly forgot what got me on this to begin with ~

I was at the store and freaking out about germy kids, dirty carts, etc. and was thinking - I (or somebody) needs to - make - things - to help us be more clean! Cart protectors. Gas masks. Hazmat suits. I don't know. STUFF to protect us! And that would be - Industrial Design. Come up with new products. Or - improve ones that already exist. That's what made me think of these things - germy kids.

Hang in there, you'll figure something out! smiling smiley
Re: So, I'm not going to art school after all... UPDATE
June 15, 2014
I'm back (again)! Completely snowed under with work; had to do a whole design project in 3 weeks! fainting

Anyway, things are looking more promising. I've been accepted at another college, doing Visual Communication (graphic design, digital stuff).

I was freaking out over nothing. In hindsight, I wouldn't have been ready for uni anyway.

--------------

George Bernard Shaw

June 15, 2014
Yay! Congrats! :bal It's crazy how things can sometimes turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login