Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't find SSN card. Need it for new job next week.angry smiley

Posted by Anonymous User 
I'm kind of freaking out right now.

I just got accepted to a part time position that is in an office setting. They told me I needed driver's license and SSN card. I start working next Tuesday.

The bad thing is I can't find my SSN card. I know it's in my room someone, I just can't fucking find it.

I am planning to go to the social security admin to get a duplicate on Thursday, but I heard it takes about two weeks to get it. sad smiley

I know I shouldn't freak out about this, but I can't help it. I feel so stupid for misplacing it.
Re: Can't find SSN card. Need it for new job next week.angry smiley
April 23, 2014
I think they may give you a temporary sort of card when you leave, especially if you emphasize the new job freak out thing.
So this may require you to do new paperwork twice at your new place of employment.
Meanwhile, keep searching! grinning smiley

I keep mine in my wallet, even though I know I shouldn't.
April 23, 2014
The social security office can provide you with temporary documentation until you get a card. I had to do that once. Employers will accept the paperwork the social security office will give you that day.
April 23, 2014
If it's for the I-9 documentation form (I'm assuming you're American), your passport (if you have one) will fulfill both requirements.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
April 23, 2014
If you have to get your SS card replaced the SS office will give you a receipt that works for the new job.
Thank you for advice everyone!

Sorry if I came out overdramatic. I had some what of an anxiety attack (in perfect timing dealing with upcoming finals in less than two weeks). I'm better now. I am planning to get a replacement, as well as a print out version since I need it for my new job.
April 23, 2014
I'm VERY organized but things like this happen to me too!

Just last week I took the car in, one of it's issues was burnt out head light bulbs. In my office I have a 'stack of notes' - just various things that come to me that I write down on slips of paper and keep in a stack. And I know I had looked into this thinking I could buy the bulbs and fix it myself. I know I wrote it down - thumbs frantically through note stack -

Yep. Found it. H7 bulb, part number ~

Yes indeed, I did make note of it, found the note, never wrote down the part number.

D'OH!

And the car was already in the shop by then, too late to look up the cheaper / generic part number now! They did choose those though, so YAY!

Just some commiseration. As others have already pointed out - I'm sure things will work out fine. And in the mean time, keep looking - you might find it!
April 24, 2014
You do not necessarily have to give them a SS card. Scroll to page 9 of the USCIS form I9, posted here, for a list of acceptable documents that verify eligibility for employment. You can choose to present anything from list A, or a combination of 1 item from list B and 1 item from list C. Your birth certificate and driver's license are perfectly acceptable.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf

/HR and hiring functions in previous job
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login