Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, there's this little, insignificant planet called 'Earth'

Posted by Dorisan 
So, there's this little, insignificant planet called 'Earth'
April 24, 2014
We are so very minuscule when put into the same pot with these "billions and billions*" of other celestial objects

LINK

*I was going to write "as Carl Sagan would say," but, unfortunately, that is a misquote that has become famous and cannot be directly attributed to him.

Re: So, there's this little, insignificant planet called 'Earth'
April 25, 2014
These things intrigue me greatly as well. At one point (In my youth) I thought I might carry on with school into Theoretical Physics. I got burnt out on school, but still do like to read about these things.

An interesting idea - time does not exist. Or, at one point (if you adhere to the 'Big Bang' theory) - it did not.

d = rt. Simple physics equation that we all know. Which can also be d/r = t. Which (loosely) means - time is a function of distance. And if there is *no* distance (eg. all compressed before 'Big Bang') - then there is NO time. At least, not then. Or, if you could compress distance ~

Interesting stuff, eh? Distance is time. ?

Fellow Geeks may be interested to read -

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Does-World-Exist-Existential/dp/0871403595

That's more of a 'philosophical' look at things. Interesting book, anyway.

Another -

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Bang-Never-Happened/dp/067974049X

This has to do with Plasma Physics and is a refutation of the 'Big Bang' theory.

Yeah, heavy stuff. I find all these things interesting though.

I SO want to know - WHY? Why is this here? What is it for? Did 'some entity' make it, and if so - why? And - does someone know something that we don't / aren't allowed to know?

I NEED ANSWERS!!!

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." - Douglas Adams
April 27, 2014
Zzelda
I SO want to know - WHY? Why is this here? What is it for? Did 'some entity'
make it, and if so - why? And - does someone know something that we
don't / aren't allowed to know?

Well, there is a theory, courtesy of Georgio on History Channel, we were engineered by extra terrestrial beings. He has a few facts that he claims support his idea.

But, there are other things that are not answered here on Earth. How did they build Egyptian pyramids with such precision? How did they move such big rocks? Was some anti-gravity device used? Where did they get it? Where did it go?

Did Edward Leedskalnin do what Egyptians did? If gravity can be defied, how can we do it? So far, many things that we have have been derived from something else. For example, we learned to fly from birds. So, to overcome gravity, ideally, we would reduce the weight while preserving the mass. Is there any phenomena in the nature where we have higher mass but lower weight? I have never seen it - not on Earth - that would be an example of gravity reduction - we could reverse engineer that. Everything here on Earth is based on weight, because weight here is deemed a constant. In reality, mass is the only constant. Mass is why 2 objects attract and gravity exists.

Yeah, we need some answers smiling smiley
April 27, 2014
Techie
Is there any phenomena in the nature where we have higher mass but lower weight?

Yes there is. This is known as the Taco Bell Paradox grinning smiley
April 27, 2014
Zzelda
These things intrigue me greatly as well. At one point (In my youth) I thought I might carry on with school into Theoretical Physics. I got burnt out on school, but still do like to read about these things.

An interesting idea - time does not exist. Or, at one point (if you adhere to the 'Big Bang' theory) - it did not.

d = rt. Simple physics equation that we all know. Which can also be d/r = t. Which (loosely) means - time is a function of distance. And if there is *no* distance (eg. all compressed before 'Big Bang') - then there is NO time. At least, not then. Or, if you could compress distance ~

Interesting stuff, eh? Distance is time. ?

Fellow Geeks may be interested to read -

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Does-World-Exist-Existential/dp/0871403595

That's more of a 'philosophical' look at things. Interesting book, anyway.

Another -

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Bang-Never-Happened/dp/067974049X

This has to do with Plasma Physics and is a refutation of the 'Big Bang' theory.

Yeah, heavy stuff. I find all these things interesting though.

I SO want to know - WHY? Why is this here? What is it for? Did 'some entity' make it, and if so - why? And - does someone know something that we don't / aren't allowed to know?

I NEED ANSWERS!!!

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." - Douglas Adams

Now, Zelda, too bad you didn't grow up in Breed Hills. If you had, you would be told to calm down, don't think about that stuff, you don't need math to sell real estate, go date some guy who works in the mill and you work at Wal Mart and have a baby.
April 27, 2014
Mr. N - do you still live there? Where is this place?

I am glad, and fortunate, to have grown up in a 'progressive' area.

I was just thinking of RE in fact, ha - but a place I was thinking of moving to. This would be in the NW IL "Chain of Lakes" region. The house was 'near Grass Lake'. It looked good online, I drove all the way out there (I'm presently on the W. side of Chi / 1.5 hr drive) - and the thing was basically in the lake. Lake creeping up into back yard. Er, NO. I drove all that way, it was a beast of a drive, gah.

And then I made the mistake of driving through Schaumburg, on the way home. During rush hour. It was mind melting.

:1wv Waves Hi to NW'ly neighbors here! Jah bless ya's. O_oo. Crazy bad traffic.

But that's very sim to 'here'. It's all kinda the same here - it's one giant mass cluster fuck. Lower end of Lake MI.

I was thinking of 'home', earlier, also.

Techie's thread here about 'Nice Guys' actually caused me to stumble upon this ~

I was sitting here waiting on a friend and bored, I was thinking about - how there *are* alot of "paid shills" online, so out of boredom I googled that, read some 'investigative' type things which were kinda blah - then I got the idea - I'll go look at this one conspiracy site, ha, that'll kill some time, and it's one I gave up looking at because IMO it's been over taken by too much political crap, in any case.

And what do I stumble upon? "Grand Haven, Michigan, possible mass grave found (Alien origin?)

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1009403/pg1&mem=

waving hellolarious

This is BS, a 'hoax'. And not without precedent. If you read through that - as people explain, this is sometimes done to attract tourists. Why that's really necessary is ? to me because it's a huge tourist area, as is.

If you scroll down on pg. 1 to a post by "freelance zenarchist" - they have a video up there - it's pretty obvious that this is a comedic thing to try to raise $ for a historic building. The vid is kind of funny, the best part is when the 'cop' flings the guy out of the city offices. Like literally heaves the guy out. Yeah. Pretty sure this isn't 'serious' LOL

And that's where I grew up grinning smiley
April 28, 2014
Zzelda
Techie
Is there any phenomena in the nature where we have higher mass but lower weight?

Yes there is. This is known as the Taco Bell Paradox grinning smiley

You certainly do have a point there. Most of those people do not know what a scale is, so they do not know what their weight is, therefore, they may have a large mass but the weight is disregarded. Disregard usually means of no significance which usually means negligible which means very low (although it is not). LOL drinking coffee
April 30, 2014
I have been thinking of these 'ancient aliens' - I don't know much about that, I don't have History Channel / Cable TV. I think I read some book about this once.

Why would they want to build pyramids? Piles of rocks? They got space ships and stuff. Why? And why not say why? Or, has that knowledge been lost?

Maybe - some - beings were here long ago, and subsequent people forgot the specifics - and tried to mimic what they remember by building various things a la Cargo Cults.

You have to wonder about religion too. Why would some 'god' make things the way they are? And the same idea could go for any other 'creator'. So there was this 'thing' - it says to itself - I think I'll make an Octopus. Next, Ima send some UFO beings to instruct these other people over here to build some piles of rocks.

It doesn't make any sense. Why would 'anyone' 'do' this?

There's a KFC / Pizza Hut across the street from the Sphinx.

It is a SIGN!

That thing might be alot older than presently theorized. The head has clearly been reworked numerous times, it's much smaller than the body, you can *see* that.

Might be 10K (or more) years old. There were people in the Americas - what? 15K years ago? That would lead you to think there were people all over then. Did they interact more than we know?

And what about people *before them*. Recorded history only goes back so far, only fairly recent stuff.

Why are there giant slabs of stone, alters, etc in the jungles of Viet Nam? There are all sorts of weird things -
Those 'stone stairs' and other artifacts off various coasts?

I think human civilization is alot older than presently believed. Were 'other beings' involved? If they were, I will guess it was long, long ago. And some of these monuments built now - maybe that was all that was left, or the few shreds of knowledge passed down through the ages? Or, maybe they figured these things out themselves and just wanted to make a monument or leave a record or something.

?

It's all fascinating stuff, isn't it?
May 01, 2014
@Zzelda: You can watch "Ancient Aliens" on Hulu - they have some limited assortment of free episodes.

I got the same questions you got about the ancient stuff. I have a whole bunch of "Whys" to ask as well.

The bigger question is that did they have some method or some way to produce a different form of energy, kind of like magnetism and electricity that we have today, but something different. Can we reverse engineer it? Did they have a way to reduce gravity? I still think we don't fully understand gravity as of today and therefore we can't figure out how to reduce it or eliminate it - other than a placing an object into a free fall - that reduces the weight. Think of a change that would bring to us. Aircraft, cars, construction of buildings and bridges, transportation of goods, just about everything could be improved. Think of all the balancing that air cargo companies must do to fly heavy loads - not having to worry about that - that would literally change everything.

Some things are not ancient either. Have you ever heard of Coral Castle in Homestead, FL? They say dude built it by himself. Big rocks, heavy weights, he did it somehow.
May 03, 2014
This might be a good visual representation of my OP. I think I posted "Temporal Distortion" on this page a couple years back.

LINK

When I saw the first Slate picture, blown to full-size, I thought I was on a trip. Each of those elongated smudges are galaxies - GALAXIES, folks.

It is humbling.

Here we humans feel ourselves so unique, enlightened, entitled to tell others how to live their lives - even go to war to do so .... *pffft* we may be regarded as nothing more than cockroaches by other beings. With so many galaxies out there, the possibility of other sentient life has to be a surety. Maybe these beings did visit us in the past, trying to guide us, then gave up and decided to simply step back and watch us like a Jerry Springer show.

My appreciation for this world has become less and less about people - if there ever was much appreciation. Now, I simply want to find those majestic, quiet spots with a wide open sky, like in the videos, and watch the heavens wheel past, looking out toward those other worlds.
May 03, 2014
Dorisan and Zelda:
There are still some people who think people are wonderful and want more of them. Atomic Rod is at it with me again. They did an article on climate change and here is the answer I had from him:

First I wrote:
Kind of related to doing right by his children and grandchildren is family planning: Stop having so many kids! People should consider child free and maybe 1 child lives and not be trying to be like the Duggars. So many of these problems can be solved in the family planning aisle at Rite Aid.

Rod Adams says:
May 3, 2014 at 3:01 AM
@BobinPgh

You wrote: Stop having so many kids!

Warning – I will not tolerate that kind of commentary or discussion here. It is sourced directly from the elitist Zero Population Growth/Paul Erlich/Rockefeller philosophy that is the real reason we have not developed amazing atomic energy products that would make coal, oil and gas worth less.

I have good friends with zero children and good friends with 9 children. I even had a good friend at one duty station with a dozen children – only 8 of which were his natural children and the other four were adopted from disadvantaged homes.

Human beings are wonderful creations and some people are wonderful parents.

Rod, are you trying to make me puke? We get to make our own choices. It is fine with me that you have apparently chosen to limit the size of your own family, but in this forum you — and anyone else who brings it up — will not tell others to limit the size of their families. There are plenty of resources to go around.

If you do not adhere to this guidance, you will suddenly find it very difficult to say anything here.

Why Rod, because I speak the truth? We can solve all of our problems in the family planning aisle at Target?
May 03, 2014
Mr. N -

You may be interested in this 'failed one' that's 'around here' -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion_Nuclear_Power_Station
May 03, 2014
Techie -

There is some 'gravity anomaly' in / near Hudson Bay, Canada -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Bay

Go to the "Geology" section, it discusses it there. And I would guess there's plenty more info on it elsewhere.

Just something I remembered.
May 03, 2014
Zzelda
Techie -

There is some 'gravity anomaly' in / near Hudson Bay, Canada -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Bay

Go to the "Geology" section, it discusses it there. And I would guess there's plenty more info on it elsewhere.

Just something I remembered.

Thank you for sharing that. I read it and they have a theory that it is due to downward mantle convection. Very interesting. We do know that less dense bodies have lower gravitational pull. I wonder if the whole area over there is simply less dense.
May 03, 2014
Actually, Zelda, Breeder Rod talks about that one in the same thread:Here is the thread about Zion in the comments. you will have to scroll down someI can't believe the utility would wreck such an expensive facility over a union dispute.

We had something like that happen with a union in Pittsburgh back in the 80s. My mother always liked Kroger and we had a good one in Breed Hills. Kroger was a union store and when Kroger thought they were asking for too much money, Kroger pulled out of the Pittsburgh area completely. Kroger was always a much nicer store than the ones that replaced it. That is why, when I see the thread here about Kroger, I get kind of jealous.

Meanwhile, Here is the thread where Rod the Breeder yells at me!

He really hates my mention of the family planning aisle for some reason. I guess he never goes there.
May 07, 2014
When I need a reminder of just how insignificant we and this planet really are, I look to Monty Python's song about the universe. Mr. T: I pitty tha foolongue2
Cambion
When I need a reminder of just how insignificant we and this planet really are, I look to Monty Python's song about the universe. Mr. T: I pitty tha foolongue2

I own the entire series, plus three films PLUS Fawlty Towers!

(Please forgive me...hardcore Monty Python fan here! winking smiley blushing )

(My apologies for thread derailing, everyone! sad smiley )

Why live in a fishbowl, when you could be swimming in the ocean?

"She, and all other rabid breeders, are like crabs in a bucket headed to Red Lobster. When they see a smarter crab escaping, they try to pull it back in." - Miss Hannigan

"Yeah, that's what family is about - guilt tripping people into cleaning up someone else's mess." - mrs. chinaski

(Shameless blog promotion: http://popcornculturejunkie.wordpress.com/)

(Cornucopia of visual rantage: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD78oSD27mzAlVzsB0q2ibA)
June 15, 2014
The universe is fascinating, isn't it? I watched Cosmos and loved it; anything to do with astronomy interests me (the special effects were impressive as well).

Has anyone seen this before? - The Scale of the Universe

ETA: Also this: Hubble Telescope Image Gallery. I especially like the nebulae section.

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login