Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boyfriend's Parents are Religious Nut-Jobs

Posted by starbelly 
Boyfriend's Parents are Religious Nut-Jobs
June 23, 2014
My current boyfriend and I have been together a little over a year and a half. We were together in Virginia for a year, then he went on Army Reserve orders that will last for another year. We are currently doing the long-distance thing, which is going as well as can be expected given that long-distance sucks.

My boyfriend has not told his parents about me. He comes from a very strict Catholic family and he is one of seven children. Back in February, he introduced me to his favorite sister and brother, the only two that he really connects with. They all kind of sat me down and explained that if any of their other siblings or their parents know about me, they will put a ton of pressure on him regarding me and our relationship.

My bf was married previously in the Catholic Church. They got married very young and she divorced him ten years ago apropos of nothing when he was deployed to Iraq. While he is legally divorced, he never got an annulment from the Catholic Church because he now considers himself an Atheist. The annulment process is hokey, invasive, humiliating, obnoxious, it takes years, it costs thousands, and at the end they may not even decide to grant you the annulment, so I understand why, if you are legally divorced, you would blow off getting one.

He has explained to me that his parents, until recently, would sit him down and have these mini-interventions with him and try to convince him to get his ex back or get an annulment so that he can re-marry and father a bunch of kids. Apparently the pressure to get the annulment is overwhelming to him, and if they knew about me, they would apply even more.

Additionally, he has told me that if we marry, his parents won’t attend the wedding because it would be a sin to do so because he’s still married in the eyes of God to his ex. He told me that if we visited them, we would never be able to sleep in the same room, even if we were married. Then he devised a plan where every other year for Christmas we go to see our respective families, and then on the off years we go on vacation together.

My issue is that this would effectively eliminate me from ever participating in his family gatherings, which frankly look totally fun and awesome, and it prevents him from coming to see my parents, who I love and adore and am very close to. This is not who I am. I want my relationship to be out loud, so to speak.

He is currently at a big week-long family reunion that I was not invited to. I feel sad and upset that he didn’t even consider it. I noticed that his sister had friends down for the day on Sunday, and I feel left out. I can wrap my mind around him not wanting pressure from his uber-religious parents, but I still feel like I’m an outsider looking in. I’m not one to make demands in a relationship, especially when it’s long-distance, but this hurts me.

Does anybody have any experience with religious nutjob in-laws, or significant others who don’t feel comfortable telling their relatives about you? I don’t feel like his reasons are bullshit, but at some point, I think he needs to acknowledge me and stand up for me.
Re: Boyfriend's Parents are Religious Nut-Jobs
June 23, 2014
Try telling people like this that you're a Jew. They'll be breaking out the Holy Water and calling an Exorcist.

I'm not religious btw. None of my relatives are either. Some also belong to the Xtian Methodist Church, some got married in that, or in the Temple (Reform, which is 'Jew Lite').

I was married to a Catholic, he and they were not really religious. Him, in some ways - from the stray angles of 'perks' for men - such as The Bible says The Mayun is King Of The Castle.

Needless to say, I am now divorced. And I try to steer clear of any religious types, even the nominal or 'mild' ones. Hard core Bible Thumpers? Of the Xtian type - they're none too fond of 'my tribe'. So.

If you really want to drive these people batshit nuts - tell them you're converting to Judaism grinning smiley

It's a very sinister thing - right here - that you are even reading this. You're getting corrupted by Jews by simply *looking at this*!

LOL

Anyway, I am not religious either, I just try to act like a decent person. What more can you do anyway?

If I do get any religion - I'm thinking of taking up Voo Doo. Seriously. This looks like it might be the way to go. Voo Doo, Hoo Doo, Santeria, Palo Mayombe - that all looks like some good stuff right there!

Or, if one is going to be 'authentic' with an Abrahamic religion - probably this should be backed up before the Xtians, before the Jews, into the precursor 'religions' there which called for much sacrifice. Gotta toss *babies* on the fire for Molekh.

You should point this out to the relatives. They're inauthentic. Heretics, they are! You should abs. toss a few babies onto the next bbq. Because - Religion!

PSA: If you eat Chinese food on XMess day - this automatically turns you Jew.
June 23, 2014
Sorry you're having to go through this. sad smiley I think he NEEDS, if he wants a lifetime with you, to stand up to his folks and demand they respect him and you, however. How and if you go about telling him this is a requirement for you is completely up to you, though. That being said, if you are willing to marry without him going through the butthurt of getting an annulment and still want to see his family at gatherings, and you guys want to sleep together in the same bed, tell the inlaws that's cool, we'll just stay at a hotel and come by for the gathering later. I don't think you should be un-invited to family stuff or kept a secret. That's just not cool.
June 24, 2014
Eventually it will come down to whether he is able to take a stand on your behalf when his family bad-mouths you, but I don't think that has to happen after a year and a half. There can be various reasons for not wanting to have that stress, and now, with the long-distance thing on top of it, I can imagine why he wouldn't want this now. So long as he understands he cannot hide your relationship forever, I'd be willing to wait for a better time. The fact that he did introduce you to his less religious relatives shows that he isn't ashamed of you or hiding something.
June 24, 2014
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice (and the LOLZ, Zzelda), I do think that when he gets back out to California that he will tell them. We plan to move in together, and I think them knowing about me will be a prerequisite to that, especially if we purchase property. I won't enter into any legal obligations without the relationship being out in the open to everybody. I have met his two siblings that are cool (they are way cool), and his niece who is in her 20s. I've also met a lot of his oldest and closest friends, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. But one thing I won't do is lie to anybody about the nature of our relationship.

Feeling a lot better about this - thanks again! smile rolling left rightsmile
June 24, 2014
A year and a half in a relationship and you are still non-existent to his parents?

This would be a huge red flag to me.

Unless neither of you plan to have no type of relationship with his parents at all, this situation seems strange to me.
June 25, 2014
Cassia, yeah, I know, it DOES feel strange, but his parents are the ONLY people that I'm non-existent to in his life. I've met and spent time with other family members and lots of friends from all walks of his life. It is a red flag, but I don't think it's a red flag about him or how he feels about me, rather, it's a red flag about his batshit crazy parents.

His sister was in a relationship with a man for a couple of years and they lived together in another state. She didn't want to tell her parents about it, but her boyfriend insisted, so they did. What ensued was two years of hell. As an example, during a family wedding, her parents were so distraught that their daughter was going to stay in the same hotel room with her boyfriend that they paid for an additional room just for her. The night after the wedding, she fell asleep on the couch in the room with two of her brothers as they were up late partying. When she wasn't in her room the next morning at like 0600, the parents (who had a key and were checking on her) went around in a massive panic pounding down doors and screaming and crying that their daughter was "sinning with that man" until they found her asleep on the sofa in her brothers' room. Then they all had to get down and pray...

I think that the situation may be more difficult and obnoxious than I can appreciate. I've discussed it with him a little bit this week, and I don't think that it's ME they are going to have a problem with as much as it will be the fact that he doesn't have an annulment and therefore it is a sin to be in a physical relationship with one another, even if we are legally married.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He's got an uphill battle with employment in a year plus having to move and I think the whole "hellfire and damnation" act from his parents may not be what he needs. I will not, however, purchase any property with him until he tells them. He says that we can expect them to be very judgmental and they will hurt both of our feelings regarding this situation in the future.

Guess I've got my work cut out for me. My poor boyfriend, he's the childfree atheist son of Catholic fundamentalists. Ugh!!
June 25, 2014

I will not, however, purchase any property with him until he tells them. He says that we can expect them to be very judgmental and they will hurt both of our feelings regarding this situation in the future.

This is a curious statement to me. I think you are saying, you won't go to a deeper level of commitment with him until he tells them, but is what they think really driving this? It sounds like telling them would make all Hell break loose.

Are you concerned if they give him a ration of crap that he'll cave and not want to go through with it?

Is it possible you are wanting this because you feel insecurity in general about buying property with him? It would definitely be a big step.

Perhaps you might consult a lawyer and get some suggestions about sharing a mortgage with someone to whom you are not married. Go over the negative scenarios and see if you can cover them legally: if one of you dies; if one of you wants out of the living arrangement; etc.

P.S. The story about the daughter is unbelievable. They do sound like nut jobs. it's unfortunate that the kids can't stand together against this kind of bullshit. It's amazing to me that grown people who are economically self sufficient (key) would allow a parent to do this. And yes, I allowed my mom to manipulate me when I was in my early 20's even though I wasn't living in her house. But eventually I stood up to her. Unless you are paying my bills, you don't get to tell me how to live my life. (And I pay my own way.)
June 26, 2014
starbelly
He has explained to me that his parents, until recently, would sit him down and have these mini-interventions with him and try to convince him to get his ex back or get an annulment so that he can re-marry and father a bunch of kids. Apparently the pressure to get the annulment is overwhelming to him, and if they knew about me, they would apply even more.

I'm not sure what the "until recently" indicates, but the fact that he didn't shut down the "intervention" as soon as it was initiated makes it look like the guy hasn't grown a spine.

I dunno. People who have dealt with lifelong incidents like that typically say "yeah. it's a hassle, but I just let it go in one ear and out the other. easier that way." Or, "that's the way they are, what do you expect me to do about it? I can't change them!'

Additionally, he has told me that if we marry, his parents won’t attend the wedding because it would be a sin to do so because he’s still married in the eyes of God to his ex. He told me that if we visited them, we would never be able to sleep in the same room, even if we were married. Then he devised a plan where every other year for Christmas we go to see our respective families, and then on the off years we go on vacation together.

Ruh roh, Scooby. He has already begun to plan the compromises.

You don't do "workarounds" with your mate. It might seem from a vantage point of "hasn't happened yet" that it is workable, but take a look into the future - 20 years from now. Another holiday rolls around and he is going off to visit his family while you are with yours. And what happens if your folks (heaven forbid) should go before his? You spend a holiday alone while he is off with his folks?

And, I'm sure I could bet a big bank on this, as his parents age, your vacation years will be subjected to their manipulations. "Your father is sick, this might be his last Christmas. Can't you skip the vacation with your hussy and spend it with him?"

My issue is that this would effectively eliminate me from ever participating in his family gatherings, which frankly look totally fun and awesome, and it prevents him from coming to see my parents, who I love and adore and am very close to. This is not who I am. I want my relationship to be out loud, so to speak.

That's NORMAL. Kind of a choice for you. Do you want a life of NORMAL, or NOT-NORMAL because your SO won't shut his parents down?

starbelly
He is currently at a big week-long family reunion that I was not invited to. I feel sad and upset that he didn’t even consider it. I noticed that his sister had friends down for the day on Sunday, and I feel left out. I can wrap my mind around him not wanting pressure from his uber-religious parents, but I still feel like I’m an outsider looking in. I’m not one to make demands in a relationship, especially when it’s long-distance, but this hurts me.

It sounds as if you don't feel like you have a true ownership of the relationship because it is currently long distance and you haven't established a common domicile. If/when that becomes a live-in thing, things will change. You'll have your own home, you'll begin to feel more settled. It will become harder to accept the conditions your SO foists on you because of his nut job parents. It's going to hurt even more because he will have declared a commitment to you but still drop the rope and put his parents feelings ahead of yours.

More and more, people are forgoing the formality of marriage vows but, personally, I feel the principles still apply. When you make a commitment to a person, one of the strongest principles is the "leave and cleave" part. Parents, siblings, relatives .. all those folks become extended family. You create a family unit of your own and its happiness and survival takes precedence over all other people.

Before you two take the step to own property, I strongly suggest counseling. You need a detached, professional third-party to help work out the situation and - importantly - to be a witness to any sort of compromises you are forced to work out. If your SO thinks that it can be worked out just between you two, it makes it easier for him to wriggle out of the agreement down the road. And he will try to do that. He's no superman. He will be subjected to pressures from his parents that will make him cave unless you can present to him the agreement (much-much better if it is in writing) that you agreed to together in front of a professional counselor/mediator.

Good luck on this. It sounds like you are in for a hard road ahead of you. He better prove to you that he is worth it.
June 27, 2014
Dorisan

Before you two take the step to own property, I strongly suggest counseling. You need a detached, professional third-party to help work out the situation and - importantly - to be a witness to any sort of compromises you are forced to work out. If your SO thinks that it can be worked out just between you two, it makes it easier for him to wriggle out of the agreement down the road. And he will try to do that. He's no superman. He will be subjected to pressures from his parents that will make him cave unless you can present to him the agreement (much-much better if it is in writing) that you agreed to together in front of a professional counselor/mediator.

Good luck on this. It sounds like you are in for a hard road ahead of you. He better prove to you that he is worth it.

I'm inclined to agree 100% with what Dorisan said. I wish you the best of luck! I know this sort of stuff is really hard, especially when you really love someone... friendly hug
June 27, 2014
Sounds to me like your potential in-laws are toxic. Personally in your situation, I would take much advantage of not being expected to have any kind of relationship with them at the moment. Lucky you! Why the hell would you want to associate with these sociopaths? You think you are missing out on all these fun famblee reunions with them and that you're being "excluded". Trust me when I say the only thing are missing out on is a bunch of wank and drama. They sound fucking horrible, frankly. Maybe your boyfriend is just trying to spare you. He's obviously trying to spare himself. Who can blame the guy?

He has already introduced you to the famblee members that are NOT toxic, so he has been as "out loud" as he feels is healthy, it looks like. Count your blessings, chickadee.

Keep the lines of communication open. I second the counseling if your relationship with HIM is affected by all this. Other than that, it sounds like he's doing you both a huge favor by keeping you all separate. I WISH my hubby would do this for me.

Dorisan
And what happens if your folks (heaven forbid) should go before his? You spend a holiday alone while he is off with his folks?

I'm going to go ahead and assume that I am the only one here to whom that sounds just fabulous.
June 28, 2014
law
I'm going to go ahead and assume that I am the only one here to whom that sounds just fabulous.

Oh, not at all. I like to go travel (on my own, with friends, with SO) for the holidays. My family is too far away and we have no real desire to see his, although sometimes he will go alone to see them if I have other plans. If I stay at home, it will either be a nice quiet day with me (possibly SO), or I'll invite over friends who also have no nearby relatives, or no relatives they want to see.
June 28, 2014
Perspective is everything I suppose. Some people really want to be included in their SO's extended famblee happenings and some don't mind not participating. My husband and his dad are estranged from most of their extended famblee, and all of them are overseas anyway, so I'm glad I've never had to deal with them. Still, I do lean towards agreeing that one person in a relationship shouldn't be making all the rules as far as what compromises happen. But the future in-laws do sound batshit insane and maybe it is for your own good not to have to deal with them.
June 28, 2014
law
Dorisan
And what happens if your folks (heaven forbid) should go before his? You spend a holiday alone while he is off with his folks?

LOL

It does, for some, yes drinking coffee

I cheerfully send Dh to spend whatever time he wants with his family. Every 3 or 5 years I'll accompany him just to put in an appearance and let them know I am fond of them -- which, truthfully, I am. Even my MIL; they're all nice enough; but they tend to get together in big crowds and I don't deal with that very well. Dh accompanies me on family visits about every 10 years. I have a good fer nuthin' brother and two brother-in-laws who are devotees of Ann Coulter and other conservative nutbags so those men are not the kind that Dh enjoys being around.

I haven't done it in about 6 or 7 years, but I used to go off on my own a lot. Just throw clothes and camping equipment in my motorcycle sidecar and go off for 3 or 4 days. The stress I was dealing with at work made the down time necessary. Told Dh that it was that or he'd have a batshit crazy wife on his hands. He was fine with it, though his family and co-workers had shit fits. "You LET your wife do that?!" was their attitude.

It is as Cosmic says - some people do want to be included, and it's something that should be worked out before settling in together. In fact, dealing with extended family is a scenario that should be resolved before becoming committed to one another. Like deciding on whether or not to have kids, it's one of those decisions that some just leave until after marriage/commitment and later it causes big-big problems. Some of us are lucky, our mates are mellow with doing whatever makes us happy, but other families have the kind of enmeshment that necessitates a lot of dialogue and creating rules.
June 30, 2014
I don't really feel like I have true ownership of the relationship at the moment. The long-distance part is hard, and we've got another 15 months of it to go. Even then, it's possible that he is utterly unable to make a living in Los Angeles and has to accept employment somewhere else. I feel like there are a lot of wild cards, so I don't feel particularly secure about the whole thing. I know he is hell-bent on getting out here to be near me and because this is where he wants to live (he loves to surf every day and feels inspired here), so I believe it's going to work out, but there is still the possibility that things will go to hell in a handbasket. Even if he has to go back to DC, where there would be plenty of jobs in his line of work, I would head back there in a heartbeat. My career would be great there as well.

I don't want to move in with him until he "claims" me. I want him to go to his parents and tell them that I'm his partner and that we are going to build a life together. I won't live with somebody who is essentially lying to his folks about his living arrangement or his love, whether we are married or not. Like Dorisan said, I agree that perhaps he hasn't grown a spine. He's a grown-ass man and if he can't put his foot down and tell his parents that this is who he is and who he is with and how we are choosing to live our lives, then he has failed me.

His parents are somewhat older and in worse health than mine, thank the gods. He says they have a few good years left, max. He has also said that their opinions don't matter to him. He will need to back that statement up with actions. That said, there is a family wedding coming up for him, and he has already tentatively invited me (it's a cousin, so he hasn't actually received an invite yet himself). So that could blow the whole thing open.

I actually think his parents will like me. I am generally very easy to like and was raised with good southern manners, topped off with a decade as a military officer. I think I can win them over. I would like to be included in his family life, that is something that I find important.

And if not, if they hate me or think I'm a Jezebel, well MY parents are amazing. I'm an only child, we love each other and enjoy genuine adult friendships with each other, AND they have money, LOL.

And THAT, is another reason why I WILL take Dorisan's advice and get a lawyer to mediate the proceedings of merging our assets.
Alright, a few thoughts here.

First of all, as someone with toxic family, I completely understand his thought process.

However, I also understand what you're saying, especially given that he continues to spend time with them.

I've cut my toxic family. No guy is ever going to see them, but then again, neither am I. So they're not losing out on anything or being "hidden away."

If he has a relationship with them, and you're being left behind and kept secret and that bugs you, I think he needs to grow up a little bit and learn to put his foot down with mommy and daddy. I like the suggestion up-thread -- if they get all pearl-clutching about it, stay in a hotel. You guys can sleep in whatever beds you want. His parents will just have to frickin' deal. That's part of being a grown-up -- not acting like a teenager slipping out to a party. He's an adult, and he needs to insist his parents respect him and you, if this is important to you (and I understand why it might be, losing holidays with him and being excluded from seeing his relatives that you do like).

Aaaand I also think this is totally the wrong time to try to solve it. Long distance is hard enough. Frankly, when it comes to long distance, trying to make the relationship survive should be the totality of your thought process.

Initiating a dialog about it might be good if this is a deal breaker for you -- if he won't budge and you can't live like that, no sense in toughing through the next 15 months for no reason.

But try to keep it from turning into a full-on argument, and if it's not super important, I'd just wait until he came back.
July 06, 2014
lilin_unite
If he has a relationship with them, and you're being left behind and kept secret and that bugs you, I think he needs to grow up a little bit and learn to put his foot down with mommy and daddy. I like the suggestion up-thread -- if they get all pearl-clutching about it, stay in a hotel. You guys can sleep in whatever beds you want. His parents will just have to frickin' deal. That's part of being a grown-up -- not acting like a teenager slipping out to a party. He's an adult, and he needs to insist his parents respect him and you, if this is important to you (and I understand why it might be, losing holidays with him and being excluded from seeing his relatives that you do like).

Thank you

There's a board I've recently come across: Dealing With In-Laws Nation, or DWIL for short.

On one hand, that board is a clear illustration of how women make themselves weak when they become SAHMs. They have very little power to sway when they allow themselves (and their children) to become dependent on a man. I shake my head at reading so many of those stories. On the other hand, sometimes a concise bit of advice comes from the posters.

One statement had me nodding my head sagely. Basically, a modern family is not a tribal relationship. Most of the issues parents and offspring have is an unconscious throwback to that archaic system. The parents see themselves as the elders; their actions ensure the survival of the tribe - which is an interconnected group of offspring and relations. The tribal members remain in a subservient position, following the rules and orders of the elders. In time, it is assumed that the elders will be replaced by their offspring, who then are allowed to order their tribal members around.

That might have been fine in the time of defenseless villages or nomadic society, but that behavior is no longer necessary in modern, western circles. Indeed, overall, that kind of mentality impedes progress. Look at current societies where tribal custom is still dictated and you generally observe little progress in regards to technology and social customs.

So, to the OP, your boyfriend needs to come swinging down out of that tree. He's allowed himself to remain bound to a very primitive situation. His life is not going to progress until he realizes that he is a peer to his parents, not a subservient tribal member. He is their equal, now, not someone dependent on them for survival.
July 06, 2014
Dorisan
lilin_unite

Thank you

There's a board I've recently come across: Dealing With In-Laws Nation, or DWIL for short.

On one hand, that board is a clear illustration of how women make themselves weak when they become SAHMs. They have very little power to sway when they allow themselves (and their children) to become dependent on a man. I shake my head at reading so many of those stories. On the other hand, sometimes a concise bit of advice comes from the posters.

One statement had me nodding my head sagely. Basically, a modern family is not a tribal relationship. Most of the issues parents and offspring have is an unconscious throwback to that archaic system. The parents see themselves as the elders; their actions ensure the survival of the tribe - which is an interconnected group of offspring and relations. The tribal members remain in a subservient position, following the rules and orders of the elders. In time, it is assumed that the elders will be replaced by their offspring, who then are allowed to order their tribal members around.

That might have been fine in the time of defenseless villages or nomadic society, but that behavior is no longer necessary in modern, western circles. Indeed, overall, that kind of mentality impedes progress. Look at current societies where tribal custom is still dictated and you generally observe little progress in regards to technology and social customs.

So, to the OP, your boyfriend needs to come swinging down out of that tree. He's allowed himself to remain bound to a very primitive situation. His life is not going to progress until he realizes that he is a peer to his parents, not a subservient tribal member. He is their equal, now, not someone dependent on them for survival.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

If I may throw in another 2 cents, it appears that your feelings about the strength and quality of your relationship are tied up in how much involvement his family has. Quite honestly I think you would be doing yourself a huge favor to focus on and continuing to build your relationship with HIM, rather than placing demands on this relationship at the moment. The stronger you are together, the less power they have over the relationship (and believe me, this topic has come up over the past few days of me and my H dealing with his family, and there are several other "outsiders" here who married into this family also and are dealing with similar bullshit to me, so we Outsiders got together to compare notes and this was one of the most valued highlights we all agreed on - don't worry, be happy, and dance with the one what brung you). You have to remember that he is dealing with people who are desperately unhealthy, and expecting him to put his foot down and deal with them may have been something he tried before at and failed, and is now trying to just extricate himself from them precisely because they cannot be reasoned with.

Remember, hon, their opinion of you isn't worth jack shit. Maybe your BF believes this already. I recommend talking to a therapist or counselor on your own and getting a professional second opinion on this. I had one and he helped me TREMENDOUSLY. You don't have to "enter" therapy. Just take a couple of appointments with a pro and see how it goes.

friendly hug
July 06, 2014
Oh, PS. I have a book written by a clinical psychologist and published by the APA that talks about the unhealthy modern family relationship dynamic, if I get time later I will try to find and post some of the passages that are relevant here. It might take me until tomorrow b/c my H and I are going to a concert tonight.
July 06, 2014
law
Oh, PS. I have a book written by a clinical psychologist and published by the APA that talks about the unhealthy modern family relationship dynamic

If I got a chance for a life do-over, I think I would have studied anthropology, sociology .. some field on examining how people interact and connect. Figuring out why my family is so freaking dysfunctional lead me to a lot of fascinating reading on the internet. Also, researching my family history, going back and 'meeting' ancestors who have been dead for decades and centuries, has caused a number of epiphanies.

Mostly, I realized that after a certain age, you don't NEED your parents; you can make a great life without being overly close to your siblings. A number of my ancestors - male and female - left the family fold at a young age and did just fine. My great-grandfather left Switzerland when he was 17, eventually moving to Illinois and becoming a part of my maternal line. He never saw his parents again; was separated from his siblings and didn't see some of them again for several decades. By all the information I could find, he was on good terms with them, but had an ambition that could not be satisfied in his native country.

My gg-grandfather left Ohio when he was 17, moved to Illinois and made a good life for himself. It was likely that the death of his mother when he was young, the remarriage of his father a few years later, gave him the impetus to become independent, but he married, created a family unit and moved forward. My great-aunt, sister to my Swiss g-grandfather, came to America by herself in her teens and was self-sufficient for a number of years, working as a servant and other menial jobs until she married. She returned to Switzerland three times that I know of, but otherwise did the same as her brother: married and created a healthy, separate existence from her FOO.

I don't get these people who are wrapped up in their FOO (family of origin) and consider everyone else - even their mates - as outsiders. In the natural course of time, your parents are going to die. Barring disease or accident, you will lose your siblings in the hierarchy of age. Remaining bound to your parents and siblings over any other relationship is not a natural course of life. You don't move forward when you do that, you remain static and don't grow. It seems like a mutant existence, to me.

Now, remaining fond of your parents and siblings; enjoying spending time with them; that can be healthy and supportive. But putting their needs and opinions over that of your own mate is not natural and is certainly not healthy. It impedes the successful creation of another unit of family who will move forward in the natural course of life.

People like that shouldn't marry or make commitments. If they do find someone with whom they want to mate, they ought to be up-front "I think I love you, I want you to be my bed-mate, housemate and life-mate. But get one thing straight, you come second to my parents and siblings. Any contrary opinion you might have, I'm not going to give it much consideration. And don't go getting upset or arguing about it because I'm not going to change." But, of course, they'd never say such a thing, because they don't realize that their family configuration is not-normal. Or if they do, they are either too weak to make a change or don't believe that a separate, independent life could be as good as their enmeshed existence. And they expect their mate to just suck up the dysfunction. That is just fucking weird :crz
Dorisan
law
Oh, PS. I have a book written by a clinical psychologist and published by the APA that talks about the unhealthy modern family relationship dynamic

If I got a chance for a life do-over, I think I would have studied anthropology, sociology .. some field on examining how people interact and connect. Figuring out why my family is so freaking dysfunctional lead me to a lot of fascinating reading on the internet. Also, researching my family history, going back and 'meeting' ancestors who have been dead for decades and centuries, has caused a number of epiphanies.

Mostly, I realized that after a certain age, you don't NEED your parents; you can make a great life without being overly close to your siblings. A number of my ancestors - male and female - left the family fold at a young age and did just fine. My great-grandfather left Switzerland when he was 17, eventually moving to Illinois and becoming a part of my maternal line. He never saw his parents again; was separated from his siblings and didn't see some of them again for several decades. By all the information I could find, he was on good terms with them, but had an ambition that could not be satisfied in his native country.

My gg-grandfather left Ohio when he was 17, moved to Illinois and made a good life for himself. It was likely that the death of his mother when he was young, the remarriage of his father a few years later, gave him the impetus to become independent, but he married, created a family unit and moved forward. My great-aunt, sister to my Swiss g-grandfather, came to America by herself in her teens and was self-sufficient for a number of years, working as a servant and other menial jobs until she married. She returned to Switzerland three times that I know of, but otherwise did the same as her brother: married and created a healthy, separate existence from her FOO.

I don't get these people who are wrapped up in their FOO (family of origin) and consider everyone else - even their mates - as outsiders. In the natural course of time, your parents are going to die. Barring disease or accident, you will lose your siblings in the hierarchy of age. Remaining bound to your parents and siblings over any other relationship is not a natural course of life. You don't move forward when you do that, you remain static and don't grow. It seems like a mutant existence, to me.

Now, remaining fond of your parents and siblings; enjoying spending time with them; that can be healthy and supportive. But putting their needs and opinions over that of your own mate is not natural and is certainly not healthy. It impedes the successful creation of another unit of family who will move forward in the natural course of life.

People like that shouldn't marry or make commitments. If they do find someone with whom they want to mate, they ought to be up-front "I think I love you, I want you to be my bed-mate, housemate and life-mate. But get one thing straight, you come second to my parents and siblings. Any contrary opinion you might have, I'm not going to give it much consideration. And don't go getting upset or arguing about it because I'm not going to change." But, of course, they'd never say such a thing, because they don't realize that their family configuration is not-normal. Or if they do, they are either too weak to make a change or don't believe that a separate, independent life could be as good as their enmeshed existence. And they expect their mate to just suck up the dysfunction. That is just fucking weird :crz

This, this, this, all over the place.

I had a great relationship with my dad before he died. But I certainly wasn't living under his thumb. I moved out at 18, and we were adults -- peers. I sometimes asked his advice in things I had little experience with, but I always thought it over, and sometimes I decided to turn it down, or only take part of it and integrate it into my own ideas. Having elders you can talk to in young adulthood is valuable, I think, but they're not deities. They're human like everyone else, and they're not always right.

I have no relationship with my mother because she's nuts and abusive. I feel a lot better without her than with her.

I have only a very superficial relationship with the rest of my family -- I see them once every few years for as little time as I can get away with, and once my grandmother dies, I'll probably never go out there again. They're all like my mother, just less extreme.

I have lots of other family -- family of choice, who actually love me for me and don't have all kinds of dramatic bullshit. Same-age peers, and elders too. I really don't feel like I've lost out. In many ways, I think I'm lucky.

So many people spend their lives tied to mommy's apron strings and their crazy family simply because they think DNA trumps all and they just have to deal with them no matter how fucked up they are. Well, look how dysfunctional it's made them. I mean, we're discussing a grown man who's afraid to tell his parents he's dating someone. Come on, now.

It's such a sheltered way to live, and it absolutely does prevent growth and cause people to stagnate in a child-like, helpless, and subservient state of mind.

He seems to have partially broken from that, having left the church and all that. But he needs to do it all the way. He's a grown-up. Time to act like one. What's mommy gonna do? Ground him? He has nothing to be afraid of.
July 07, 2014
You guys are AWESOME!!

My boyfriend really only sees his parents once, maybe twice a year at the obligatory family celebrations like this golden wedding anniversary. He also told me that if we go to visit them for Christmas, we could either stay with his brother in town or at a hotel, with the added benefit that we get to retreat to a peaceful place where there aren't any goddamned kids.

I took some of your advice and decided not to fight this battle right now. About a month ago we were discussing his parents and this situation, and I stated to him that I was very worried that his family was going to hurt my feelings in the future. He looked me in the eye and said, "They are going to hurt mine too." It was a very sincere statement, so I believe that he will stick up for me in the future. Next year when we resume our life together, I'll feel more comfortable explaining my expectations to him. More than anything else, I want HIM to be a part of MY family. My parents really are the bomb and I think that involving him with them will further cement our bond. Additionally, I can show him what a healthy adult relationship with parents looks like and how we respect each other's bondaries.

Any books or info that you guys can dig up would be very much appreciated. I loved the reminder of how are past family members did things as well. It really is important to recognize what it took to leave a continent and everything you know to start a new life. Or go West on the wagon train, or whatever. That shit took balls.
smile rolling left rightsmile
July 08, 2014
Dorisan
I don't get these people who are wrapped up in their FOO (family of origin) and consider everyone else - even their mates - as outsiders.

I don't get it either considering that we don't choose our families and largely what are the chances of having much in common with them? You are friends with your friends precisely BECAUSE you have shit in common with them. That's why you CHOSE them. On the other hand, you get no say over the freaks you're related to.

Dorisan

It's not just weird, it's wrong. Considering that when you sign a marriage license, you are signing a contract. You promise to be faithful and loyal to your spouse, not your fucking sister.

I think younger men will have larger problems with enmeshment with their FOO than older men will. This is a generalization, and men all mature at different rates, but from what I have observed, distancing from the FOO is natural and seems automatic for MOST men.

The ones for whom it never happens are not marriage material IMO. Nobody likes a mama's boy. And every professional opinion I have come across when a man is torn between FOO and wife is that if he doesn't have his wife's back, he's going to end up divorced. And he'd deserve it.

Really, why the lack of spine? What's mommy going to do if you tell her to back off, dump you? Grow a fucking pair and cut the apron strings already. JFC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login