Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pulling the race card or appropriate?

Posted by brown-eyed diamond 
Pulling the race card or appropriate?
June 27, 2014
Apparently, Disney's movie Frozen is racist, and anyone who likes it is also racist.

I won't deny racism still happens, but it feels like some people pull the race card over everything now. If Disney really did make the movie with racist intent, that sucks, but I don't feel like that's it. When has Disney ever been accurate anyway? Didn't they rewrite a lot of fairytales (The Little Mermaid and Cinderella come mind)?

----------
"Be yourself, no matter what. Some will adore you, and some will hate everything about you, but who cares?

It's your life. Make the most out of it."
Re: Pulling the race card or appropriate?
June 27, 2014
This post seems passive aggressive and stupid. If you don't agree with what these people have to say then why not keep it on Tumblr and message them directly? Did you think that you would find an amen corner by bringing it here?

My personal opinion: I don't really care for or about Disney movies. It would have been nice if Frozen featured indigenous characters and not just white people in Saami-inspired costumes but I don't care enough about that movie or cartoon in general to get upset about it. I do believe that a variety of people being represented in childrens' entertainment and education is very important but I have no expectation that a megacorp like Disney would play a serious part in it. Their bottom line is money, period, so they'll produce whatever saccharine slop they believe will sell whether it's inclusive or not ans whether it's deliberately racist or not.
June 27, 2014
No...sorry I brought it

----------
"Be yourself, no matter what. Some will adore you, and some will hate everything about you, but who cares?

It's your life. Make the most out of it."
June 27, 2014
I don't think you were wrong to bring it up on the Patio. I don't understand why people go see movies that are clearly full of characters that are white and then complain that the movie is full of white people. I would feel the same way about somebody who went to see a movie clearly full of any other race or culture and complained it didn't have any white people in it. The world has enough actual racism in it that I find it silly to complain that an animated movie characters aren't diverse enough. Complaining about imaginary people is pointless.
June 27, 2014
I don't know what this movie is about. Are there too many white people in it? I thought that it was about frozen people. Which I found kind of creepy, and that'd - make everybody blue, wouldn't it? I find most things Disney creepy.

Didn't W. Disney have himself - Frozen? 'Cryonics'? Not sure what that's called. Or is that just an urban legend?

Propaganda aimed at kids does exist. Here's a fun puppet show with a Bumble Bee who advises kids to kill Jews! :crz

http://www.timesofisrael.com/kill-all-jews-urges-hamas-tv-host/
June 27, 2014
It was about a princess who has the power to freeze things, make snow, ice, etc. She almost kills her little sister as a child by accident. Parents die. She becomes queen. Complications happen. Overall, I thought it was a very positive kids movie with a female lead who wasn't interested in marriage or love or being rescued by a prince. I thought it was supposed to be set in a European type area hundreds of years ago, so yeah, lots of white people but I'm not sure there were many non-white people in Europe at the time.
Meh, I liked it. I watched it at home to avoid brats.
Still, nobody has to see it or let their brats watch it.
Of all the things to be offended about, don't get being offended by this particular movie.
June 27, 2014
I haven't seen the movie, but I don't see what's wrong with the OP's post.
June 28, 2014
I haven't watched the movie, so I can't really weigh in on the content. I think I liked Sleeping Beauty as a kid, but my appreciation of Disney faded before I hit double digits.

I think it can be really hard to decide sometimes whether something is racist (or sexist, or natalist, or whatever). The problem is that these problems are deeply ingrained in society and so people can have unconcious biases (see the implicit association test) which they act on without realising it. At the same time, people can become sensitized to the problem and see examples of it which were never intended (an example would be a politician who was chastised for correct use of a word which means grudgingly parsimonious and has a completely different etymology than the offensive word it sounds similar to - sorry to be roundabout but I think the stem of the word is banned so I cannot type it).

People feel defensive at these charges and then it becomes nearly impossible to have an unheated discussion about the actual incident, with the arsenal of language devoted to denying the experiences of the affected group (think of words like "shrill", "bitch" and "hysterical" for the topic of sexism) being employed almost immediately. That of course proves that there is still a problem, although not if the original incident in question is part of the problem.
June 28, 2014
What I find so funny about the racism claim with Frozen is that Saami people actually are indigenous to that region, but they aren't dark-skinned AT ALL (they would pass for "white" in America, even with the wide variations in their appearance from person to person, as even old photographs show), so that shows total ignorance on the part of people who are claiming that the movie is racist. We could technically quibble that not everyone in the movie needed to be blonde in order to be historically accurate, but that's just quibbling at this point. Disney is the company that made a movie version of Pocahontas' life story being completely historically inaccurate in every possible way. Do people really expect Disney to make a historically accurate film? tongue sticking out smiley

I'm not sure what's wrong with this post, either. The Patio is for off-topic-from-CF discussion for CF Bratfree members, and as long as it's not abusive or violates the TOS, it's fine by me. tongue sticking out smiley Sometimes we bring other stupid shit we all find on the internet here to make fun of it or pick it apart with like minded people...nothing wrong with that in my mind. If you don't like it, you can always choose not to read it. smiling smiley
June 28, 2014
brown-eyed diamond
No...sorry I brought it

Don't be sorry! friendly hug Granted, I'm not a Disney fan myself (actually, I love old-school Looney Tunes), but I see nothing wrong with this post. smiling smiley

cosmictraveler
The Patio is for off-topic-from-CF discussion for CF Bratfree members, and as long as it's not abusive or violates the TOS, it's fine by me. tongue sticking out smiley Sometimes we bring other stupid shit we all find on the internet here to make fun of it or pick it apart with like minded people...nothing wrong with that in my mind. If you don't like it, you can always choose not to read it. smiling smiley

ITA thumbs upwink

Why live in a fishbowl, when you could be swimming in the ocean?

"She, and all other rabid breeders, are like crabs in a bucket headed to Red Lobster. When they see a smarter crab escaping, they try to pull it back in." - Miss Hannigan

"Yeah, that's what family is about - guilt tripping people into cleaning up someone else's mess." - mrs. chinaski

(Shameless blog promotion: http://popcornculturejunkie.wordpress.com/)

(Cornucopia of visual rantage: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD78oSD27mzAlVzsB0q2ibA)
June 29, 2014
If you found this notion of racism on Tumblr, you have to know that those "social justice warriors" are stone-cold-fuck-nuts. They will pull the race card over ANYTHING!

They will also work themselves into a foaming mess over everything, on behalf of everyone.
They have devolved into rabidly attacking anyone who doesn't completely agree with the minutia of their fuckery.
It's best to not take them seriously, it will only make them more vicious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
June 29, 2014
I think after they made The Princess and the Frog, Disney was like, "See, we're not racists! Now shut the fuck up!" The best part is, from what I have seen via research into old animation, it's almost ALWAYS white people who bitch the loudest about racism in what they feel is "children's entertainment." I'll use Coonskin as an example... when that film came out, it was overall well-received by African-American viewers. Rather, it was a bunch of white people bitching about the racist caricatures and stereotypes, with the exception of Al Sharpton, who protested the film without even seeing it.

The bottom line is no matter how clean and cute you make something, someone out there will always find a way to be offended by it. Even when you try to show diversity. Anyone remember the old cartoon Doug? Where all the characters had different skin colors? People have called that show racist because only the main character, his family, his love interest and the principal have skin colors that can actually exist (and they are white). Meanwhile, everyone else has skin that's blue, green, pink, purple, orange, etc.

And the fun thing is even when you try to make something that's shifted away from white characters, people STILL complain. People have accused Dora the Explorer and Mucha Lucha of showing stereotype characters - again, white people complain. Latino viewers overall seem to really like Dora. Not 100 percent sure about the popularity of Mucha Lucha among the Latino population. Seems Caucasian people do a lot of unnecessary bitching on behalf of their ethnic peers, probably because they have nothing better to do with their time than spending it being offended.

It's best to just not even bother with these assholes. There's no convincing them otherwise, so let them live in their little bubble where everything is racism and sexism and every other ism.
June 30, 2014
Got to love white guilt... Fuck that shit.
July 02, 2014
People take that shit wayyyyyyyy too seriously today. Do I get all bent out of shape because people of my nationality are always portrayed as leching womanizers with terrible body odor or bad breath? Nope, not at all. I laugh at it, because I know it is not true.

People need to lighten up. Political correctness be damned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login