Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

*She's* plus-sized? Oh, crap, we're screwed sad smiley

Posted by Dorisan 
*She's* plus-sized? Oh, crap, we're screwed sad smiley
July 30, 2014
LINK

This is according to the fashion industry, which always goes to extremes when it comes to body size. But setting a standard by calling Robyn Lawley "plus size?" I can see anorexia becoming vogue again among the impressionable.

I'm glad I'm comfortable with my 135 lb, 5'4" figure :crz
Re: *She's* plus-sized? Oh, crap, we're screwed sad smiley
July 31, 2014
Yeah, it's unfortunate. That's why there are so many pro ana websites out there, promoting this BS.

I've learned to be comfortable in my own skin as well, after battling with anorexia and bulimia in my younger years. I never want to go back to that lifestyle again.

I used to read mode magazine, and hung onto all of my issues. If I feel bad about my body image, I just pull them out and read them. I instantly feel much better about my body. It is a way for me to accept myself, and know that there is nothing wrong with the way I look, and if society deems me as fat, then it's society's problem...not mine.
Um... WHAT?

She looks athletic to me. Like, right smack in the middle of what her healthy range probably is.

The only thing "plus" about her is her height, but that's true of most models. Just insane.
August 02, 2014
5'11", 165 lbs. 16" biceps.

Take a US size 6 -8. Big Tall Amazon.

Only 36B chest. No boobs, really. Forego the 'push up' bra -> can pass as a guy. No 'hips' either - no "hourglass figure" here - I am built like a man.

Not white enough / Middle Eastern. Too "ethnic" looking.

Or, I could be 'positive minded' and think of myself as 'exotic looking' - but, that does you no good with men. They want a shorty ('scuse me, "petite woman") with gigantic boobs, a flat face, very girly girl, and really dumb.

In my free time I like to work on my house and car. More than one person has said to me - are you sure you're not a guy?

In fact, I was at the car repair shop the other day, to pick up my car - everyone was polite and they do listen to me when I discuss tech issues (I have a touchy weird car, I spend much time researching it's 'issues', and I did study Eng. at school so I am conversant.)

I had a suit and heels on (which put me into Basketball player height range), looked nice and professional, had hair and makeup done, they were polite to me and discussed all things with me.

But then - while I was standing there waiting for my car to be brought around - in the front door comes this Cow (clearly pregnant) - wearing a tight t- shirt, baggy, raggedy grey shorts, looked like hell / bedraggled, was coarse acting - and they fawned all over her. Oh! We didn't think you'd get back so soon! Oh, got a ride then? Oh, that's great that you didn't have to ride your bike over, Oh Oh Oh! smile rolling left righteyes2
Not an attractive woman, flat face, looked like hell / greasy / unwashed, sloppy clothes, clearly upduffed, and her - they practically rolled out the red carpet for.

With me - they were polite - but rather terse and I felt like they wanted to get rid of me / just be done with me.

Sigh.

Plenty of people have said to me too - that I intimidate people. Why? I consider myself to be just a "Jane Average" sort.

Gah.
August 03, 2014
Sorry but she is plus-size for a model. There are certain standards in every profession, e.g. you can't practise as an MD unless you have the necessary degree, and you need to have a certain look to be a model or a ballet dancer. That doesn't mean that the general population should or even wants to look like a model/gymnast/ballet dancer but if someone does find that look attractive, then let them. I've done ballet my whole life, I am very skinny because I want to be and I won't apologize to anyone because of that. I also won't eat just to make others feel better about themselves. That doesn't mean that I am a 'bitch' and criticize others, I can safely say that I've never ever said anything negative to anyone about the way they look. Maybe it's just that I don't care about what other people do with their bodies since I consider it to be none of my business.
Everybody has the right to choose what they want to look like-be that body- or clothes-wise-and unless they are in a specific profession it's nobody's right to criticize anyone.As soon as you make money based on your looks or with something where a certain body shape plays a major role you need to learn to live with criticism. That's just the way it is. If I go see a ballet I want to see a ballerina, if I watch a catwalk show I want to see a model, but I want to see a beautiful soul when I am spending time with a friend, and therein lies the difference.

Zzelda, based upon your posts I think you are extremely intelligent, independent and classy, a combination that does indeed intimidate men, especially those who haven't got much between their ears. Greasy-haired moo is right there on their level so of course they'll feel more comfortable with her. Seriously, take it as a compliment!
rockchick
Sorry but she is plus-size for a model. There are certain standards in every profession, e.g. you can't practise as an MD unless you have the necessary degree, and you need to have a certain look to be a model or a ballet dancer. That doesn't mean that the general population should or even wants to look like a model/gymnast/ballet dancer but if someone does find that look attractive, then let them. I've done ballet my whole life, I am very skinny because I want to be and I won't apologize to anyone because of that. I also won't eat just to make others feel better about themselves. That doesn't mean that I am a 'bitch' and criticize others, I can safely say that I've never ever said anything negative to anyone about the way they look. Maybe it's just that I don't care about what other people do with their bodies since I consider it to be none of my business.
Everybody has the right to choose what they want to look like-be that body- or clothes-wise-and unless they are in a specific profession it's nobody's right to criticize anyone.As soon as you make money based on your looks or with something where a certain body shape plays a major role you need to learn to live with criticism. That's just the way it is. If I go see a ballet I want to see a ballerina, if I watch a catwalk show I want to see a model, but I want to see a beautiful soul when I am spending time with a friend, and therein lies the difference.

Zzelda, based upon your posts I think you are extremely intelligent, independent and classy, a combination that does indeed intimidate men, especially those who haven't got much between their ears. Greasy-haired moo is right there on their level so of course they'll feel more comfortable with her. Seriously, take it as a compliment!

That's not really what annoys me about what's considered a plus size model. I'm skinny too, and I'm tired of all the skinny hate masquerading as "size acceptance," for sure.

What bugs me is that a woman who is very tall, but actually of a normal/medium weight ISN'T modeling plus size clothes. She's modeling tall clothes. And any person who is both tall and big will tell you they are absolutely not the same thing.

So just by nature of her body type, she can't possibly be modeling the lines that are going to wind up on sale for women who are actually big, and what these clothes look like on her doesn't give any indication of how they'll look on someone who's big. They'd probably be both too long and too narrow, because she's not big. A size 12 long/tall isn't the same as a regular size 12.

So I just wish when they say "plus size model" they'd actually use a plus size woman, and when they use someone like her, they'd use "tall." She's even taller than most "regular" thin models.

I'm not super fashion conscious, but I try to get things that work well on my general shape. Personally, I take an extra look when I see a silhouette I like on model who's the "typical" small size, but on the short side for a model, because however something looks on her is probably more representative of how it will look on me, than if she were the standard 5'10" model (I'm 5'4"). Height makes a big difference.

So what they're really doing here, by the way they classify "plus size" in modeling, is actually avoiding having any actual plus size models, by instead hiring a normal but extremely tall model.

Not that any of that's her fault, and yes, she is heavier than the "typical" model and she probably does get a lot of flack for that. So I totally see the point of her unretouched pics, etc -- I get the point she was making, and I think she's right.

But it annoys me that the industry is being so dishonest about it. And I think it's perfectly ok to critique that.

We don't need to bash the thin models -- and indeed, people who bash thin girls aren't truly "size accepting" -- to point out the dishonesty of the industry and the way it portrays women.

They started working in "plus size" models in order to pretend they're more diverse in the lines they make, so if they're going to do that, hire some actual plus size models! They're being disingenuous about it.
August 03, 2014
Thanks for the vote of confidence Rockchick! smiling smiley

I will agree with what Lilin is saying also. Not only the models used, but the clothes themselves. I've seen plenty of complaints from the 'plus sized' that the clothes do not fit right. They're either larger versions of smaller clothes or they are tents.

I wear regular size clothes so I can't say, but I do know that some clothes - especially dress pants - made for "tall" women do not work on me at all! I just have longer legs - I do not need pants where the crotch is down by my knees. GAWD. From my waist to my crotch - that is - not long. If anything I could take pants of a bit less in this measurement because often pants are *too high waisted*. This is why I like the 'low rider' or hip hugger jeans. Because I do not *need* this vast length going down to my knees!

(checking for typos here - it occurred to me that I vaguely remember many 'body types' complaining about this issue.)

I think some mfg's are picking up on various complaints and coming out with newer sizes. Or a bigger range of sizes.

I saw an ad online - I should've book marked it - it was some kind of jeans that had like '5 styles, 24 sizes, 8 different measurements' - I forget exactly but it sounded like one could kind of 'customize' what they wanted.

I know there's a plus size dress maker that does this too. Again, I forget the name of it. These are recent ads so just keep your eye out, if anyone's interested. Someone else probably has seen them. I think this dress maker does all sizes too.

I also recently saw an ad for some women's clothing co. and it was headed as 'plus size' and then at the bottom it said 'sizes 10 - 24'. Um - a 10 is plus size?

It's too bad I'm not more artistically inclined and I know nothing about the fashion industry - because IMO there are many "niches" that appear neglected here and it might be a money maker. I'm not super into fashion myself, suits for work and jeans + t shirt at home - but I do like to read about it here and there, and I read comments on these articles, and it seems many various people are literally clamoring for alternatives, a better selection.

In fact it kind of stumps me as to why more people aren't working these markets - it seems like there's enough demand out there.

And the advertising people too - that's a hard biz to get into isn't it? Not alot of opportunity? Well - here ya go.

People are goofy. And it appears they have really long crotches, too. Or - are we all supposed to be wearing our pants like Grampa Simpson now?
I'd also like to point out that models are classified by the type of clients to which they appeal. Runway models for runway jobs. Lifestyle/commercial/direct models for commercial jobs (think: Sears, New York & Company). Sports models for athletic jobs. Plus/curve models are for clients that sell plus-sized clothing (think: Avenue, Lafayette 148 New York Plus).

Too see what I am talking about, check out the sites for several top modeling agencies (warning: several models do nude shoots and the agencies circulate photos on the site so may be some NSFW:
Wilhelmina Models at http://www.wilhelmina.com/
Muse NYC at http://www.musenyc.com/
LA Models at http://www.lamodels.com/
New York Models at http://www.newyorkmodels.com/
Next Model Management at http://www.nextmanagement.com/

Robyn Lawley is called a plus model because she is marketed to clients that sell plus clothing.

Plus models are various sizes and shapes. It's completely incorrect to say that manufacturers that make plus-sized clothing use non-plus models. It all depends on what sample sizes the client uses. Crystal Renn, a very famous and former plus model, was mostly at a US Size 12.

Yes, Size 10 US is plus size.
August 04, 2014
I dont think we should pay very much attention to models. They have nothing to do with most of us, just like billionaires, they are not representative of people. No one reads
mags anymore and average person just doesnt care about fashion or fit, choosing to dress badly. If the fashion industry is twisted maybe its because "we" are so dysfunctional, ex. Hot moos and preggos, then they want sexy clothes for their spawn. Fat acceptance or not? Perfect or let it all hang out? We don't know what we want?
August 04, 2014
I agree that because models are so tall everything looks completely different on them than on women of 'normal' height. That's why I always liked the models of the 1960s because they were pretty but 'regular' girls.
I find that fashion throws crap at us all the time and the crazier the better. Not so long ago they were shaving or camouflaging models' eyebrows but now wherever you look you see faces with two black slugs on them. So what are we to believe is attractive? Personally I think neither is and I don't care, and because I don't I save myself some money by not falling for hair extensions, eyelash extensions, brow tattoos and hell knows what else. It seems to me that the continued destabilization of women is there because it makes the perps money.
August 04, 2014
I'd love a pair of plus-sized legs like hers, just sayin'.

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
Pssh, I am five feet nine flatfooted and weigh all of 125 when wet. Went to Planned Parenthood for my physical and the nurse actually called me out in front of everyone for my weight. Been accused of having AIDS, being a dope freak (well, yeah, until three years ago I was into some things that were rather unsavory, but then I weighed less than 100 lbs yikes!) among other repulsive remarks. EAT A CHEESEBURGER, SMILE, all that shit. Skinny folks get flak too - just being female is a fucking burden somedays. I would LOVE to be a man for ONE DAY, just one, that's all I need (Better yet, a man who has only one day to live. I would @#$%& my way through the day satisfied in knowing I made a difference LOL!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login