Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Now I know why I'm stuck on 70s music grinning smiley

Posted by Dorisan 
Now I know why I'm stuck on 70s music grinning smiley
August 13, 2014
Interesting article

So the music we listened to as snotty teens is almost physically embedded into our brain? OK, I can use that for an excuse when my younger relatives are around and wrinkle their noses at the way I bop along to Styx :GOMIIMOG

However, this statement causes dismay

The period between 12 and 22, in other words, is the time when you become you.

Waaaugh :drool Those were probably the worst years as far as the physical and emotional setting of my life; who I was living with, my extremely depressed state of being.

After I passed from that stage of life, becoming financially independent and finally taking control of my social life, I remember a lot of self-reflection and self-admonishment. I didn't like who I was and consciously shaped myself.
Re: Now I know why I'm stuck on 70s music grinning smiley
August 13, 2014
I'm probably a bit more critical of modern music than of some of the stuff that's stuck in my head from my childhood (much of which I now recognize as crap, but which is familiar to me), but I still find new music I enjoy, and some of it becomes stuck in my head, too. I don't mind being able to sing along with old songs, because I can sing along with new ones, too.

I failed to form many happy memories of my crappy teenage years, so I think I'm immune to "golden teenage years" nostalgia. Like Dorisan, I also conducted an internal self-assessment and took deliberate steps to change traits I didn't like.
Anonymous User
August 19, 2014
Been addicted to it all my life
August 20, 2014
Dorisan
OK, I can use that for an excuse when my younger relatives are around and wrinkle their noses at the way I bop along to Styx :GOMIIMOG

For me it's the 80s - sometimes I just HAVE to go on a binge. It really is soothing. Heck, I've been listening to Platinum Blonde and Dead or Alive lately. doh face
August 30, 2014
I have recently had a growing fondness for disco and 80's music. My teenage years weren't that happy, yet older music is my favorite. Hubby likes to listen to Sinatra, Bennett, and other standards from before my birth. And I enjoy it also. It might be memories in some cases, but not all.
November 02, 2014
I grew up as a kid during the 1970's, too. If you're a Styx fan then you must get their 2-CD set, The Wooden Nickel Years. I confess to being a huge fan of "Serpent is Rising" disc the one Styx themselves hate the most but that music is really jamming. "Witch Wolf" imho is probably the most rocking song they ever did. Very dark - like the river Styx. winking smiley

Myself, well, one of my most recent 1970's musical loves is Jigsaw. "Sky High" went to the top of the charts in 1975 globally just as disco started to rule the airwaves. They started out doing psychedelic then moved into Northern Soul. Their drummer is the lead singer - a little honey blonde guy - and incredibly talented. But like Styx, they wrote a lot of uplifting songs, too. "Looking for Me" is my favorite in that category.
November 03, 2014
I was a 90s kid, and while I liked much of what was popular at the time, I was more fond of disco when I was a kid. Yes, I hang my head in shame and admit that I still listen to Ricky Martin, NSYNC and Savage Garden (I'm actually listening to the Macarena as I type this), but I really liked all those one-hit disco wonders a lot when I was 11-12ish and older. Then I got more into 80s music in high school, then electronica and techno in college, and I've been listening to a lot of Elvis and electro swing in the last few months.

And I don't think that a person's personality becomes set in stone in the 12-22 range. People change all throughout their lives and I don't think I'm the same now as I was when I was 22. The changes might be small or really significant, but you become 'you' all your life. It's a cycle that never stops because you'll learn new things and like new things.

My childhood was kind of lame, but I do miss some of the nonsense from the 90s (TV, movies, music, clothes) because it simply reminds me of the memories I have that aren't my mother screaming.
November 24, 2014
I was a kid in the 70's as well, so much good music. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy because there was awesome songs from my childhood.

I love Styx! I am from Chicago and they played Styx all the time on the radio. Also, my BIL grew up on the south side, he recalls seeing them locally when he was young. Hell, Cheap Trick used to play at his high school, St. Rita's!

And of course I love Chicago. I don't mean recent Chicago, I mean the REAL CTA from the 60's to the early 80's. It was never the same after Terry Kath died.

Good times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrieking babbies are the most effective birth control on earth.
November 26, 2014
I stopped liking new music in the late nineties, when it went to pop and rap, punk/pop, etc. Before that I liked it all - rock - prog, metal, punk, alternative, pop, funk, you name it. Then around the time Britney Spears went big, it was like it all dried up and I was too old for new music. I used to listen to an XM station called Fine Tuning, freeform eclectic stuff. Of course no one listened to it and it got replaced by some mainstream shit. Boo hoo, oh well, I had a good run. I can still find music to listen to on Live365 and have found a lot of stuff I wish I knew existed when it was new.

I don't really enjoy seeing the aging bands I loved in the past live, they seem pretty lame compared to in their peak time and plenty of them went breeder - bring kyds on the stage, talk about grandsprogs, etc. The whole music industry seems like it's sanitized for political correctness breeders and brats. Of course I'm nostalgic for a time when it was more about the art and talent.
November 27, 2014
I was born in 76. I'm not sure ~

This is IMO an 'in between' age. Gen X. By the time I was 10 most '70s Music' = Classic Rock.

Although at the time the "Oldies" stations were still playing 50s and 60s tunes.

And if you had a good radio / tuner - you could get the obscure radio stations - which played some of the 'off the beaten path' stuff.

There was still alot of good radio. We made it a point to try to 'get' the far flung stations, that was the shit, ha. (I grew up in Lower MI and even with a basic boosted receiver you could get Chi, NY, and other radio.)

In fact, this was one of the things that got me interested in Sci studies and work.

This is an example - I found this, an old Elton John song - someone recorded it off radio, a year before my birth even!
And OH WOW! Is THIS nostalgic! It has that 'Far Away' tinny sound ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8hj0mIMEPs

I remember listening to stuff like this. WLS is a 'high power' station and you could get it in MI. I remember listening to stuff like this on - a Transistor? Radio?
January 11, 2015
Bumping this for a Classic I remembered ~
(might be early 80s. close enough.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMAGI7zRqj8

Just popped into my head the other day.
January 17, 2015
Cambion
My childhood was kind of lame, but I do miss some of the nonsense from the 90s (TV, movies, music, clothes) because it simply reminds me of the memories I have that aren't my mother screaming.

Cambion, ditch home. There's ways to live life without having to make it in a traditional job market.

Join some kind of abroad volunteer thing...Peace Corps, or teaching English in a foreign place or something. Go away from your toxic environment. Make art wherever you go. Meet friends/lovers who care about things more than the stupid selfish rat race of our society. I know you're depressed and might lack the motivation/initiative now, but once you're in a better place, it will change your outlook too. Sometimes, you've got to take the action BEFORE you start to feel the energy. Also, get healthier habits, if you don't have them already. If your food intake is mostly processed foods, change that over to a healthy plant-based diet (you can get dirt-cheap veggies at produce stands n most towns) because that affects brain chemistry, moods, energy etc more than people think it does.

You only have one life...why spend it where you're stagnant and trapped? Yes leaving is hard/scary...but not as bad as slipping into a conscious coma of unhappiness forever. It's better to risk failure in an attempt to seize your life and be happy, than to risk nothing and then wake up one day and realize you've wasted 10 years of your life letting your fears forbid you from breaking free.

Do what you WANT to do. Let your soul lead you to where you're happy, and fuck everything else.

College debt, shitty job market in your town, whacko mother...those things suck, but in the larger scheme of the universe they're pretty trivial. Loads of people have triumphed in even worse backgrounds. The only difference between them and you is that they took the action to get out of it. It would suck if you realized the perspective on your deathbed, when there's no more time, instead of right now, when you really have your whole life.
February 02, 2015
Cambion, try your local community college. They have a lot of grant-funded courses for non-credit programs that can help you get a job.

Topic: I grew up in the 70's so I like that music, that and it really does sound better than what's out there today.

As the saying goes, "It's not that I'm old, your music really does suck."
Anonymous User
February 11, 2015
Conscious Coma of Unhappiness....I may steal that term.

Personally, I like 50's and 60's music the best, if we're talking pop genres. Have no idea why. I wasn't raised on it.
Love 60's movies (comedies especially) too. The colors! the humor! the clothes! the stars! just everything. And you can watch them more than once and get more out of them each time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login