Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about plasma donation safety?:litebulb

Posted by peace-n-quiet 
Question about plasma donation safety?:litebulb
August 21, 2014
I know we have a lot of intelligent people here who are or who have been in the medical field. I have a question about plasma donation. I have been told that it is safe for donors and that there is no risk of catching a disease from donating plasma. But, I have also been told your blood goes through a machine and a tube and the filtered blood is returned to your body. I know that the tubing is changed but (of course) the machine is not. If your blood is going through a machine and then being returned to you, isn't there risk of you catching a disease from the actual machine?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
Re: Question about plasma donation safety?:litebulb
August 24, 2014
Reputable plasma places will screen and test donors for any blood-borne pathogens, HIV, etc. The place in my vicinity does a full-on physical for any prospective donors before they allow them to donate, and make them repeat it after a certain amount of inactivity in their donations. I know several people who do it for extra money and don't have any problems. I mostly don't do it because the place is way out of the way, but if I lived closer to the place I'd go in once a week and do it.
Re: Question about plasma donation safety?:litebulb
August 24, 2014
That's a really good question. I've been hesitant to donate anything again after my health went to shit. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, although I deal with it my own way, but what if whatever the hell is wrong with me is catching in some way? I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else feeling the way I do, because not everybody is going to be clever enough to find a way of dealing with it all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login