Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interesting article on introverts

Posted by Dorisan 
Interesting article on introverts
November 09, 2014
LINK

Is it just me, or are introverts more analyzed that extraverts?

And I am finally validated on one trait:

They physically can't stand talking on the phone.

OMFG, that is so me. I hate-hate-HAAAATE talking on the phone. Not particularly for business or in the realm of my job, but making conversation. I die. Ask me to relay facts, or instructions or ask a question on the phone and I'm fine. Chow-chow chit-chat? Kill me :smn

There has been a noticeable (and resented) up-tick in communication between my younger sister and I, over my older sister. Why? Because my older sister only wants to talk on the fucking phone angry smiley while my younger sister prefers Facebook (actually, I prefer e-mail, but no one uses that anymore, it seems). Older Sister doesn't do computers - period. She doesn't do smartphones, at all. I think it's largely because of an abusive husband and smart ass daughter, who might have tried to teach her, but didn't have the patience and likely made Sister feel stupid. I know I could teach her; training people has been a big part of my career; but she's now brain-tied on the subject and doesn't even want to try.

Anyway - the phone thing. HURRAY for validation! Now I know it's a personality thing and not a phobia, as too many have suggested.
Re: Interesting article on introverts
November 09, 2014
Gawd phone talking! Between the numb fingers and not being able to read vocal social cues I am fucked.
November 10, 2014
I loathe making calls to people I don't know to ask for something. That includes calling a company for more information, making a doctor's appointment, and calling a government office to ask for hours. I hate all of it, and despite years of forcing myself to do it I just don't find it any easier. I'm glad a lot of information is online so I can usually look up what I want to know or send an email.

I don't mind long talks with friends or family though. Chit chat phone calls have pretty much vanished; I can't remember ever having that many of them.
November 12, 2014
Dorisan
LINK

Is it just me, or are introverts more analyzed that extraverts?

And I am finally validated on one trait:

They physically can't stand talking on the phone.

OMFG, that is so me. I hate-hate-HAAAATE talking on the phone. Not particularly for business or in the realm of my job, but making conversation. I die. Ask me to relay facts, or instructions or ask a question on the phone and I'm fine. Chow-chow chit-chat? Kill me :smn

There has been a noticeable (and resented) up-tick in communication between my younger sister and I, over my older sister. Why? Because my older sister only wants to talk on the fucking phone angry smiley while my younger sister prefers Facebook (actually, I prefer e-mail, but no one uses that anymore, it seems). Older Sister doesn't do computers - period. She doesn't do smartphones, at all. I think it's largely because of an abusive husband and smart ass daughter, who might have tried to teach her, but didn't have the patience and likely made Sister feel stupid. I know I could teach her; training people has been a big part of my career; but she's now brain-tied on the subject and doesn't even want to try.

Anyway - the phone thing. HURRAY for validation! Now I know it's a personality thing and not a phobia, as too many have suggested.

We get picked on all the time it seems. It's hard being a not very social person and hyper social world.

I'm not big on talking on the phone either. I cringe when the phone rings and don't like making calls if I can avoid it.

As for the rest of the article, it describes me pretty well.
November 12, 2014
I read a stat that said introverts make up only 25% of the population, although of course there will be a higher cross section of introverts online, it meshes quite well with our need for space.
But if we are only a quarter of the general public, a good portion of extroverts will find us an oddity, and find it easy to find others who also think we are an oddity.
Simply outnumbered.

I lurvs me some internet! Time enough to think over what I'm trying to say and get it right, or at least right-er. Conversations can be dropped and come back to without the social need to end things tactfully and none of this 2 hours lingering at the door thing, you know, just one more thing to say before I go...
I have friends in real life, one extroverted couple, and they hardly go online at all! They don't like reading, they love getting together with people. They are really fun, and very considerate about our weirdo introvert selves. I don't understand their whole not liking to read thing. They love it when we get to talking though, we did all the reading and have tons of interesting things to talk about.
But I guess not liking to read makes the internet a much more boring place.
I know I know, not reading is not at all a typical trait of extroverts necessarily, these are just my only extrovert friends.

Oh, and add me to the avoids the phone if at all possible tally. My phone is a computer that happens to have a phone app.
November 13, 2014
I hate hate HATE collaborating with other people at work. I hate calling folks, explaining who I am, and what I need, and then following up. I hate it. It makes me want to die all the time.
November 13, 2014
I HATE talking on the phone. When I have to call a business or a doctor or whatnot, I have to practice what I'm going to say because it gives me anxiety and going in cold exacerbates it. When it's friends, it's only a quick call when finalizing plans or trying to find each other in a crowd.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
November 16, 2014
I hate talking on the phone too. I especially hate having to leave a voice mail message - sometimes I feel like I'm just going on and on and am not sure how to end what I'm trying to say. I used to have a job where I had to call people, sometimes several dozen a day, to schedule appointments. I was miserable!

I am also very introverted and have taken a lot of crap for it over the years. The unsolicited commentary is the best part - "Ketchup, why are you so QUIET? Don't you have anything to SAY?" Bonus points if this is said to me in front of a group of people angry smiley I've found myself making really dumb small talk lately in an attempt to not look "quiet" but I hate the stuff that comes out of my mouth...after I'm done talking I'll think to myself, "Why did I say THAT?" I have a hard time knowing when to stop talking, like sometimes I'll try to read other people's body language and they will just stare at me blankly, so I feel like I have to keep saying something...UGH.

I'm so grateful for the invention of email and texting.
November 17, 2014
This article describes me so well. For me, since I got a cell-phone, a lot of my interactions with people have been through texting. Phone calls are a distraction to me now. I sometimes wonder how I functioned before texting.
November 23, 2014
starbelly
I hate hate HATE collaborating with other people at work. I hate calling folks, explaining who I am, and what I need, and then following up. I hate it. It makes me want to die all the time.

You would not like my job grinning smiley

I am ALWAYS on the phone! Often even 'off the clock'. B2B communication, including sales, is not as bad as dealing with the general public. IMO. For people contemplating various work fields or potential jobs - you don't have to panic over stuff like this. You CAN learn communication skills too. And you don't have to be a 'super extrovert' either.

I am always online also. As well as handling alot of paperwork and utilizing complex software.

With that said - earlier today I found a pair of shoes I would like to buy on O verstock dot com. I AM TERRIFIED of attempting to do this! I quickly became confused and went to the home page looking for a PHONE NUMBER. Can't I JUST CALL???

Go figure, huh?

Let's see if I can DO this! I do not have an account there. I feel like I need to call 911 or something. I am going to challenge myself to DO IT! (I might have to call my neighbor to come and help me LOL)

Why isn't there a PHONE NUMBER? Why can't I just CALL? BOO!

I guess I don't mind talking on the phone that much smiling smiley Part of it is *straight up laziness* and lack of patience also.

I wouldn't call myself an 'extrovert' though. I can go either way. Oh and speaking of my neighbor friend - I already mentioned this to her and we decided to go to Shoe Carnival. Why not look there? They might have something sim?

And this is what happened to Mah Brane in there ~

:kill

It's SO goddamned LOUD! in there! And it was CROWDED full of SHRIEKING KIDS!

And it was HOT! And they have their blaring, annoying, music. Plus crowds and their screaming kids. Which makes Brane go ~

:kill

So from that end - YES - I lean toward the Introvert side in cases like this.

Anyway - I have issued myself a CHALLENGE! And we shall see if I can get these boots! And the little red plastic ones I wanted too - if I can find them again ~

WHY CAN'T I JUST CALL?

(Yes, I will probably start out by looking for a ph# again, Lazy me.)
November 23, 2014
I DID IT! YAY! Just bought the shoes from os, I signed up for an account and everything!

It was relatively painless. thumbs upwink

Wasted time by looking for another pair I wanted - all that was left was size 11. Oh well. But probably for the best because I need to watch the spending and I was able to get the ones I wanted most. It said there were 3 left. How in the world did they know I have 3 feet? grinning smiley

I'm not really familiar with this site. It's confusing to me. It looks like a combo of a 'regular' shopping site plus ebay or something.

But - supposedly my 'order was successful'!

These are the shoes I got -

Link / Pix
November 24, 2014
Oh, those look like a brand called Jambu, I think. I've had my eye on a style like that for a while.
I am too addicted to FitFlops right now to dare too much of a heel. Used to have such bad foot pain, but if I did branch out, that kind of wedge looks good to me too.thumbs upup
Like these:http://m.zappos.com/jambu-esmeralda-vegan-mocha

Lol, derailed topic.
My phone is a computer with a phone app. Why does it even have a phone app? Hmm...
November 24, 2014
I also am not a big phone talker. I mean, I do have occasional phone conversations, but if it's with friends, I'm usually okay. I HATE calling and ordering food, making appointments, looking for stuff in stores, etc. Don't ask me WTF I was thinking taking a job in a call center. To avert anxiety, I had to tell myself, "These are strangers, they don't know me, they won't come to my house and laugh at me if I stutter..." I actually prefer dealing with machines when calling 800 numbers rather than real people.

But the rest of the article is spot-on for me too. I do not like making small talk with idiots I don't know, I much prefer being a behind-the-scenes kind of worker, I think before I speak, I cannot match my mood to my environment like an emotional chameleon, and when I've been around people for a certain amount of time, I do need some distance to "refuel." Even with people I care about. I love those closest to me, but I just need a breather where I do my own thing for a little bit because it honestly tires me out mentally to live at someone else's pace for too long.

And I do not do crowds or parties. Even among people I know, if I'm in a crowded room, I'll go find a corner to sit in. If I have to go somewhere busy and know there won't be a fucking thing for me to do and no one to talk to, I bring my sketchbook so I'm not sitting there staring into space. This doesn't mean I want company either (and a sketchbook is a MAGNET for strangers). It means "leave me alone."
November 25, 2014
More shopping, more communication, or lack there of -

I tried to use the self checkout today. WHY do I always cause something to GO WRONG? YAAAARRRRGGGGGG!!!!

I need a PERSON!

(I heard that in my head as Peter Griffin yelling I NEED AN ADULT! when some guy tried to talk to him, LOL.)

I should have just stood in line in one of the regular checkouts. In some instances I would MUCH RATHER deal with people - I do not know how to communicate with their crazy wacky machines.

I got: SYSTEM ERROR. Oooof. Did I break it?
(It was out of receipt paper. smile rolling left righteyes2)
November 25, 2014
Presto
Oh, those look like a brand called Jambu, I think. I've had my eye on a style like that for a while.
I am too addicted to FitFlops right now to dare too much of a heel. Used to have such bad foot pain, but if I did branch out, that kind of wedge looks good to me too.thumbs upup

Lol, derailed topic.
My phone is a computer with a phone app. Why does it even have a phone app? Hmm...

I like those shoes too! And I like the Zappos site too, alot of their stuff is $$$. Looked at them the other day too, saw a pair of wedge boots I liked, they were $599. :eh??

They are doing 'communication' right though! It's much easier to navigate, and all the pretty pictures - so easy to click on, enlarge, and drool over grinning smiley

I like that they have pix of the bottoms / outer soles also. For their prices - they should have a hologram that pops up, ha.

Yeah, I'm drifting again too - but see here? How you could strike up a convo with a person at a shoe store? Or Wherever?
We could talk about how much DSW SUCKS! grinning smiley

Not all communication is too bad smiling smiley

Well, except if you happen to be trapped inside a DSW ~
The Horror ~
THE HORROR!!!

November 26, 2014
Cambion
I also am not a big phone talker. I mean, I do have occasional phone conversations, but if it's with friends, I'm usually okay. I HATE calling and ordering food, making appointments, looking for stuff in stores, etc. Don't ask me WTF I was thinking taking a job in a call center. To avert anxiety, I had to tell myself, "These are strangers, they don't know me, they won't come to my house and laugh at me if I stutter..." I actually prefer dealing with machines when calling 800 numbers rather than real people.

But the rest of the article is spot-on for me too. I do not like making small talk with idiots I don't know, I much prefer being a behind-the-scenes kind of worker, I think before I speak, I cannot match my mood to my environment like an emotional chameleon, and when I've been around people for a certain amount of time, I do need some distance to "refuel." Even with people I care about. I love those closest to me, but I just need a breather where I do my own thing for a little bit because it honestly tires me out mentally to live at someone else's pace for too long.

And I do not do crowds or parties. Even among people I know, if I'm in a crowded room, I'll go find a corner to sit in. If I have to go somewhere busy and know there won't be a fucking thing for me to do and no one to talk to, I bring my sketchbook so I'm not sitting there staring into space. This doesn't mean I want company either (and a sketchbook is a MAGNET for strangers). It means "leave me alone."

I'm the same way. After being around crowds, noise, etc., I need downtime too. There have been times I went to an event of some sort and actually enjoyed it, but still need that downtime to recharge after. I don't care much for crowds, noisy places, commotion, etc., I prefer peace and quiet. I got dragged to such events when I was younger and still lived with my parents, but once I got out on my own, I was able to actually stay in my home and not have anyone say anything about it.

I wonder if the childfree are more likely to be on the introverted end of the scale than extroverted. Introversion has been discussed on this forum before, which makes me think that is very possible.
November 30, 2014
Zzelda
Presto

Lol, derailed topic.

I like those shoes too! And I like the Zappos site too, alot of their stuff is $$$. Looked at them the other day too, saw a pair of wedge boots I liked, they were $599. :eh??

They are doing 'communication' right though! It's much easier to navigate, and all the pretty pictures - so easy to click on, enlarge, and drool over grinning smiley

I like that they have pix of the bottoms / outer soles also. For their prices - they should have a hologram that pops up, ha.

Yeah, I'm drifting again too - but see here? How you could strike up a convo with a person at a shoe store? Or Wherever?
We could talk about how much DSW SUCKS! grinning smiley

Ima quote myself and derail some more grinning smiley

But not really because consider this: "...but see here? How you could strike up a convo with a person..."

Today I was walking down the street and saw a girl wearing *the exact same shoes*. I should put this in the Para normal thread. HA! Weird stuff like this happens to me all the time.

She caught me looking back and staring at her shoes too. Next time I see her I will explain I was looking at her shoes. See? Already have an opener grinning smiley

This kind of thing happens to me all the time. LOL
December 01, 2014
Hmm. Interesting article. I am definitely an introvert, but not all of that describes me.

Small talk bores me, but does not stress me out.

I don't put myself near the exit when in a crowd. But I do start thinking of fun stuff to do once I'm done dealing with the mayhem. So I guess I have my own reward system.

I don't mind talking on the phone, and have zero problem calling people I don't know when I need information, or to make an appointment, etc.

Areas where it was spot-on:

I do need solitude regularly.

I don't find large groups of people energizing.

I don't get too much of a mood change from my surroundings.

I mull things over before speaking.

I do like that the article didn't conflate introversion with shyness or feeling anti-social. That's a common mistake. I have no problem talking to new people, and have no anxiety about new situations. If I'm feeling anti-social it's got nothing to do with being an introvert.
December 02, 2014
randomcfchick
Hmm. Interesting article. I am definitely an introvert, but not all of that describes me.

Small talk bores me, but does not stress me out.

I don't put myself near the exit when in a crowd. But I do start thinking of fun stuff to do once I'm done dealing with the mayhem. So I guess I have my own reward system.

I don't mind talking on the phone, and have zero problem calling people I don't know when I need information, or to make an appointment, etc.

Areas where it was spot-on:

I do need solitude regularly.

I don't find large groups of people energizing.

I don't get too much of a mood change from my surroundings.

I mull things over before speaking.

I do like that the article didn't conflate introversion with shyness or feeling anti-social. That's a common mistake. I have no problem talking to new people, and have no anxiety about new situations. If I'm feeling anti-social it's got nothing to do with being an introvert.

I think introversion occurs in degrees, i.e. some are more introverted than others. There's no such thing as a "pure introvert" or a "pure extrovert."

Perhaps you're not as introverted as others.
December 06, 2014
A thing I have been wondering about, which just came back to me ~

When I struggled, yet again, to try to decipher the "Spam Prevention" code here -

Remember when - it was the little Arithmetic problems? To put the answer in?

23 +10 = ?

Oh, how I MISS those days!!!

Many people complained though - and we went to the "letters".

I HATE THIS! I want the little addition problems BACK! It was SO much easier!

But so many people said that they stumped them, they hated those, it was too much to think over ~

Well for me - these letters are too much! The biggest issue I have is - I cannot tell what is 'Upper' or 'Lower' case - it drives me nuts and I HATE IT!

Point - No dis towards anyone - but what does this say about one's personality / mind?

I myself HATE! trying to figure out these letters - they all look THE SAME to me! The one I'm looking at for this post - starts with a P (but it looks smaller) and then another P - that looks bigger, but they *look the same* same 'shape' / configuration - what I am supposed to pick? And then a 3, OK numbers I can do, thank fuck there aren't 'lower case' numbers, then a c - it looks like c - but is it - C? and then a 6.

I can't with this and I HATE IT!

I SO liked the little addition problems better! So easy!

This must mean something about one's 'personality', or 'how the mind works', eh?
December 06, 2014
Our system is case-insensitive so it doesn't matter if something is upper or lower case, just type it in lower case.
December 06, 2014
yurble
Our system is case-insensitive so it doesn't matter if something is upper or lower case, just type it in lower case.

AHA - I was kind of guessing that.

But then I was going the other way / over analyzing it like - if it looks 'far away' or more 'in the background' - is that upper or lower or is it supposed to suggest upper or ~

And then the red / black angle - if this one is black and this one is red, and which one is forefront, which one is back, which one appears larger, what sequences are they repeated in ~
It's some system of glyphs, there's a matrix this works off of, only certain letters appear ~

Yes, I know, I think too much grinning smiley

I drive myself nuts with all sorts of things, no worries, ha.
March 08, 2015
paragon schnitzophonic
I HATE talking on the phone. When I have to call a business or a doctor or whatnot, I have to practice what I'm going to say because it gives me anxiety and going in cold exacerbates it. When it's friends, it's only a quick call when finalizing plans or trying to find each other in a crowd.

This is me also. I absolutely HATE talking on the phone. If my phone rings, and I don't recognize the number, I won't answer it. :eyebrows

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know, I know. "You were one once." I was a sperm once, but you don't see me wantin' to cuddle up to a fuckin' wankstain, do you? - John Constantine
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login