Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mini Ice Age

Posted by strange aeons 
Mini Ice Age
July 11, 2015
Anyone seen this?

A new model of the Sun's solar cycle is producing unprecedentedly accurate predictions of irregularities within the Sun's 11-year heartbeat. The model draws on dynamo effects in two layers of the Sun, one close to the surface and one deep within its convection zone. Predictions from the model suggest that solar activity will fall by 60 per cent during the 2030s to conditions last seen during the 'mini ice age' that began in 1645.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150709092955.htm

Is it bad that the first thing I thought of was how much the human population would decrease by? I'm sure a decent cold snap would clear out quite a few surplus people.

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Re: Mini Ice Age
July 11, 2015
I like to read about all these kinds of things too!

It's getting hotter here. Interesting fact: Where I am right now was *under water* shortly after the last Ice Age. I am in the US / Canadian Great Lakes region. W. side of Chicago.

An interesting thing I read lately, about 'The Great Lakes' - yes, we ought to familiarize ourselves with our own areas, eh? So in this book one of the things they discussed were the Native Americans and some - interviews I guess that were done in - the 1600s? People went over some of these past 'oral histories' and one thing was about some Native saying 'they had come from near a large body of water to the West' - which was assumed to be the Pacific Ocean, but upon more careful study of all this it is now believed that these people were referring to an ancient 'Giant Lake' - which existed when 'The Great Lakes' were still one large mass of water.

Which would've been right after the last ice age. Or even during it, maybe.

How interesting is this? Fascinating.

It's very hot here and we have upcoming 100F days, high humidity, and bad storms. Can we get the Ice Age now please? smiling smiley

I spent the last week preparing for this - I actually *fixed and cleaned* my AC. I'm ready.

I'm going to tack on here a couple of weather videos from the last bad storms here -
To give you an idea - what happens is sim to a Hurricane. In fact, these last ones - they were calling some type of a Cyclone. Which produced multiple Tornados. Anyway - High winds, heavy rain, it's pretty scary stuff ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hE4JrrkfU

That's typical of the high winds and rains you get in severe storms.

Here's one of a guy following an actual Tornado -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztblJsf_Ghg

This is out in 'the country' - but it's only like 100 mi from 'here'. And - they used to say that Tornados won't happen at night. Now, evidently they do. They also say that Tornados won't hit the 'urban heat island' here either. Which is also probably wrong ~
And of course 'Water Spouts won't move inland". Wrong again, already happening. Now moving off the lakes and becoming land Tornados.
Oh also? These things won't happen in Winter. Wrong again / now they DO. Often and with regularity.

This entire region has rather 'extreme weather' - but IMO now it has gotten WORSE. It's documented. Temps are up like 10 degrees, storms are worse, there are Tornados at night now, - it's all pretty hard to ignore ~
July 12, 2015
Zzelda
And - they used to say that Tornados won't happen at night. Now, evidently they do. They also say that Tornados won't hit the 'urban heat island' here either. Which is also probably wrong ~
And of course 'Water Spouts won't move inland". Wrong again, already happening. Now moving off the lakes and becoming land Tornados.
Oh also? These things won't happen in Winter. Wrong again / now they DO. Often and with regularity.

This entire region has rather 'extreme weather' - but IMO now it has gotten WORSE. It's documented. Temps are up like 10 degrees, storms are worse, there are Tornados at night now, - it's all pretty hard to ignore ~

Tornado 101

I think it's weird that we are seeing such a large number of tornadoes so late in the season. Typically the number drops off in July. But, the Midwest has been seeing hinky weather this year. My Kansas City family has been complaining about the cold and rain. Told them that I'd like to combine their's with ours (HOT and DRY) and cut the difference. The result would be just about perfect.

Immediately after reading about the projected mini ice age, I thought of the movie 'The Day After Tomorrow' smile rolling left righteyes2 Same sort of scenario, but it won't happen overnight.

I'm sure we'll see the climate skeptics jumping on this. Al Gore certainly might have to eat crow, what with the past talk of glaciers melting and sea levels rising. I saw the headlines on the news sites and started looking for reputable scientific sites to gather accurate information. You just know that Chicken Noodle News is going to be all over this in a hysterical fashion. Same with Faux News.

The site Strange linked indicates that the most dire period will be the 2030s, with a 60% decrease in solar activity. Certainly the impact will be different. Population balances changed, we are at a different technological level, forms of government have changed as well as the balance of power between nations. Still, we can look to the past and get a sense that things will be difficult.

I'll be in my 70s when the worst is expected to occur. I absolutely have no faith in any of the gov'ts to handle this in a fashion that will lessen the impact. If anything, the squabbling and politicking will make things worse. If I reach that decade, I'll probably be glad to have the excuse of old age to check out.
July 12, 2015
@Zzelda, I wonder if my neck of the woods was at one point under water too. I've found tiny seashell fossils in my backyard before and while the Susquehanna River runs right through the area, I live several miles from it.

As someone who gets cold very easily, part of me is going :cen, but the other part of me is also wondering if this might chlorinate the human gene pool a little. According to some other sources, the makings of this mini ice age will begin in the 2020s and will take full effect by the 2030s. I'll be pushing 50 by then, assuming I'm still around. I'm curious to see how we as a more advanced (and spoiled) population will respond to a long-term climate change that we cannot control, and hoping I don't wind up among the human popsicles.

That being said, I can only imagine the number of PNAs and I Only Looked Away For A SecondTM deaths that will go on during this time. When people are stuck in their homes without power or are snowed in, they love to fuck. Remember the blackout in the US a while back? Around nine months after it happened, a lot of loaves were born. I could see the same happening here, but if supplies are limited and it becomes more of an "every man for himself" mindset, I could see more people "accidentally" letting their kids outside to play and not finding their corpsicles until the summer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login