Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fear the Walking Dead (spoilers)

Posted by Dorisan 
Fear the Walking Dead (spoilers)
August 31, 2015
We've had a discussion here on "The Walking Dead," has anyone watched the prequel?

Two episodes in and I'm thinking "I can see why the world went to shit quite fast, if this is how it all started." In fact, I think the show creators must have worked the series around what The Oatmeal described as an outbreak of zombies

How Everything Goes to Hell During a Zombie Apocalypse

And the teenagers. Gawwwwd. The series folks finally outdid themselves in creating characters more insufferable than Carl, Lori or Andrea.

Blubby little Tobias is the wisest person, at this point. Everyone poo'd his ideas, but I can't believe that adults, at least, wouldn't note the creepy stuff happening and not hit the internet to see what Huffington Post, Faux News - even TMZ since it's LA, has to say about it.

I like the premise of the show, but I'll be glad when it gets to the point where a light bulb goes on over everyone's head and they realize "it's a zompocalypse!"
Re: Fear the Walking Dead (spoilers)
August 31, 2015
Started watching it, and it isn't as bad as I thought. I'm a wimp when it comes to gore, I ran out of the room screaming during TWD. The teens are really annoying, but that could be me. They're doing some seriously dumbassed things, but it's the beginning of the zombie apocalypse so I guess it's expected.

I'm cheering for Tobias, he seems like the only one with something resembling sense. If he turns or gets killed I'll stop watching.

I'm more of a Z Nation type person, but I'll keep watching then get distracted by something then watch again.
August 31, 2015
I so wish I could watch this. (About to get S5 of TWD on DVD.)

I only saw the first few minutes on YouTube - featuring some junkie dude who looked a bit like Johnny Depp.
September 01, 2015
Medusa
I so wish I could watch this. (About to get S5 of TWD on DVD.)

I only saw the first few minutes on YouTube - featuring some junkie dude who looked a bit like Johnny Depp.

That was Nick. A heroin addict. He's convinced that the situation is real, having awakened from a strung out stupor in an abandoned church to find a friend had OD'd, turned and was eating another druggie.

Episodes are available to watch on AMC's web page. I paid for all of them up front through Amazon (10 or 11 bux) so that I wouldn't have to watch all the commercials or deal with the slow response from AMC.

The show is spot on, I think, in how people would react. There would be a tiny portion at first who would get a clue (Tobias, Nick), the first responders would know (doctors, cops) but the majority of the world would likely act as the other major characters have. Denial from Madison (mother). Being a person of authority herself, she seems to have started out with the idea that other authorities would take care of the problem. Travis - hero dad. He just wants to gather everyone together and keep them safe.

The teenagers are acting as one would expect. Alicia - daughter. Typical self-absorbed, superior brainiac. All she wants to do is be with her boyfriend and get out of her lower middle class situation. Even the slightest indication that those plans will go awry is going to cause her to go off.

One big blot of incongruity: Madison tells her daughter to not touch her boyfriend, being afraid that Alicia is going to catch what Matt has, yet when Madison sees Artie - bloody, shambling and groaning - she goes right to him in comfort and an attempt to help. Weak-weak-weak character gesture. You know it's meant to get her close enough where Artie the Walker is going to make a grab at her.

As a Walking Dead viewer, it would probably be easier to watch the show if I could disassociate one from the other. TWD tells us how rilly-rilly bad it's going to get. FTWD shows why. When Madison tells an eye rolling Tobias that the authorities will "contain this," I feel like hollering "bitch, you have no idea!" hitting over the head with a hammer The Hispanic woman in the barbershop praying and telling her rosary - bitch, Gawd has checked right out of this. No use calling on that dude.

I'm going to rewatch the episodes with a view of what I've read from a number of articles. Apparently the creators have been throwing in teasers that indicated from the first that people knew what was going down.

When Nick was in the hospital after being hit by the car, he was in the same room as an old guy who was clearly going to croak at some point. The staff was very worried about that; several saying "this guy needs to be downstairs!" When he coded, they didn't perform heroic measures at that point, being more concerned about getting him "downstairs." It appears that measures had already been put in place to deal with people who were sure to turn; the medical community knew what was going on.

Something else I read - how easy it was for the zombie plague to take hold and go wildfire so fast. It hit the homeless, the druggies gathering in dark and abandoned buildings, and street people. Almost impossible to contain at that point. No one pays attention to them; they always look dirty, sick and battered; the only people who purposely come into contact with them are authorities, medical personnel and shelter managers. If those people are bit, the most they worry about is HIV, otherwise they get a tetanus shot, doctor the wound and go about their business, soon becoming sick and blaming it on some other cause. That is a realistic plot device.

As I noted, if you are a WD fan, it's best to try and pretend you've never seen that show. It makes FTWD easier to watch.
September 28, 2015
Didn't some college somewhere do a study and found that if there was ever to be a zombie breakout it would probably go down like fear the walking dead... we would lose.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login