Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone here interested in miniatures?

Posted by mumofsixbirds 
Anyone here interested in miniatures?
April 08, 2018
I've now been clean from gambling for five months. My gambling counselor suggested that I find a fun hobby that would help me get through the next little while, as I adjust from being a gambler to my regular self again. I've decided to build a dollhouse out of an old cabinet, and make my own furnishings, curtains, rugs, etc.

I've never been one to play with dolls, but miniatures have always fascinated me. I have gotten some inspiration from Pinterest on how people have repurposed old furniture into the most unique, interesting dollhouses.

I've already decided to make it look like a creepy old hospital from the outside, and do the interior like a really cool Victorian house. I know it sounds a bit silly, but my husband and I are both into miniatures and upcycling old things into funky, interesting pieces of art, so it's something that we can do together as a team.

I'm going to be putting it in my office, which is kind of an odd space. I think it will fill the one empty wall I have with something unique and interesting.

Oh yes, when I've mentioned it to a couple of people, I've been asked if I'm making it for kids. I just laugh and tell them it's for me. It's going to be a work of art when I'm done, and definitely not a toy.

Yes, I may be a cold-hearted CF woman, but I still love indulging my inner child with a number of different things. Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I can't enjoy a few simple pleasures.
Re: Anyone here interested in miniatures?
April 12, 2018
I like miniatures.

(Does anybody who seriously gets into dollhouses EVER do it for children? The ones I've seen aren't really playthings. They're very much a "look but don't you fucking DARE touch!!" sort of thing.)
April 15, 2018
I know what you mean! Some of the miniatures that I've looked at are extremely pricey and delicate. Definitely NOT toys. I've found a lady who is also into miniatures and dollhouses, and she's local to me. I'm going to email her today and see what ideas she can come up with for me.

The ODD thing about the kids comment, is that people KNOW I don't have kids. Why would I put my hard work and effort into building something for someone else's brats? It just doesn't make sense to me.
April 17, 2018
I don't know anything about miniatures, but what you're doing sounds cool.

Some people think whatever talents or interests a person has should be used in service of "the children". I've encountered this attitude more than once myself. I think it's disgusting.
April 18, 2018
It's been hell week in the house, but I've finally managed to shoot an email off to the lady who specializes in miniatures and dollhouses. Hopefully, I'll hear back. I tried emailing her before, but I had accidentally put the wrong email address in the computer, and things were getting sent back.

ITA with you, ondinette. I'm so tired of feeling like if I don't do something for loaves, it's either selfish or not worth doing. I personally don't feel that way, but it's usually shoved in my face at random times.

"Oh, are you building the dollhouse for kids?"
"Oh, did you buy a house so you can have kids?"
"Would you like to donate to this cause? It's for the KIDS"

It never ends. If I wanted to dedicate my life to loaves, I would have done so many years ago. The fact that I have NO interest or desire to do things for people just because they are much younger than me is nobody's business.

It's the "It takes a village" mentality that drives me crazy. I didn't volunteer to be part of that particular village, and I have no intentions of starting now.

The only place I can get solace away from that bit of idiocy is here on this board.
April 18, 2018
I was checking out at a store one day and saw a boxed set of Pokemon cards that I wanted. I asked the cashier how much they were because they weren't marked; they were a little pricey for me at the moment, but I said yeah, I'd get them. Then while she was ringing me up she asked if I wanted to donate to some kids' charity. I automatically said no, then realized how it must look that I was splurging on 'mon cards and refusing to donate to the kiddies. So I said, "To hell with the kids, I want Pokemon cards." The cashier laughed and said, "Hey, you want what you want."

I didn't ask, but it made me wonder if she was CF.
April 18, 2018
Haha, that's great! I usually just say, "I've already given." That makes them leave us alone. The only charities I give to are hospices and animal charities.
April 18, 2018
mumofsixbirds
Haha, that's great! I usually just say, "I've already given." That makes them leave us alone. The only charities I give to are hospices and animal charities.

Glad you like. smiling smiley I only give to animal and environmental causes, though there are some global-scale causes I will give to when I have more discretionary income.

NONE of them will be child-oriented.
April 22, 2018 12:57PM
I know almost zero about miniatures, but your new hobby/art sounds great! I think your counselor is smart. Everyone needs some kind of art or other mode of self-expression, and people who're kicking addictions/compulsions need a way to channel energy as they adjust to their new life. Building miniatures and dollhouses and the like could be something that could take up as much time as you wanna give.

Upload some pictures when you can. I'd like to see it progress.

As for doing things "for the children", I've gotten similar questions for buying games, Lego, camping equipment, and other hobby materials. If they ask if it's for a kid or something I'm going to do with my kid, I grin and say, "Nah, I just like it. No excuse needed". The cashiers usually smile back or make a positive comment.

And as for charities...I give money to Planned Parenthood, public broadcasting, and a couple animal rescue groups. I am not opposed to the existence of children's charities, but I figure that they've already got a lot of public goodwill and support already.
April 22, 2018 02:21PM
randomcfchick
I am not opposed to the existence of children's charities, but I figure that they've already got a lot of public goodwill and support already.

That's exactly it. People fall over themselves for children's charities. Try getting the same response to protect less appealing animals (or the freaking air we breathe) and it's a different story.
April 22, 2018 05:56PM
I am going to be a bad man and play devil's advocate: I don't see the point of miniatures or the horticultural version, bonsai. Why not improve the house or garden you actually live in rather than a place not even Barbie could live in?

But then, if it is a hobby that replaces breeding as a hobby, I am all for it, especially on today, Earth day.
April 23, 2018 08:30AM
mr. neptune
I am going to be a bad man and play devil's advocate: I don't see the point of miniatures or the horticultural version, bonsai. Why not improve the house or garden you actually live in rather than a place not even Barbie could live in?

But then, if it is a hobby that replaces breeding as a hobby, I am all for it, especially on today, Earth day.

Hey Mr. Neptune,

The thing is, I love the idea of creating and decorating. My house already looks like a dollhouse. It's really nice on the inside, in fact, I was planning on doing a miniature version of my own house as a display. The weather here has been pretty lousy, definitely not gardening weather. Once the weather gets better, I plan on gardening and planting.

I think that the idea for me is that I love creating things that are original. I have two beautiful porcelain dolls and a vintage doll, and I'd love to make a little home for them. I guess I see it as kind of therapeutic and artistic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login