Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hardly surprising: "Professionalism less than desired in entry-level employees :td

Posted by CrabCake 
Cambion
I've seen this a bit at my work too. People coming in in their jammies. Don't get me wrong - business casual is the dress code. If you want to come in in a t-shirt and jeans, then you can. But pajamas? I couldn't make myself leave the house in my sleep pants, let alone go to work.

My generation is mostly taking after their mommies: Mommy expected to get everything for nothing, so that what these assholes expect. To be handed a six-figure job right away and be able to play on Facebook and their iPhones all day long and still get paid. And trust me, I've got a bit of a rebellious attitude due to having my personal freedoms taken from me unnecessarily all my life, but even then I know how to act and how not to act in the workplace (well, maybe save for when I wrote "This place is a scam" on my work station a few days ago when I was pissed off).

Etiquette classes aren't going to do shit for these people - they'll just see it as another "stupid" class they can sleep through, like algebra and English. They will expect raises simply for showing up each day and putting forth hardly minimal effort. They will take several long breaks each day and then complain when they don't get paid for being on the toilet for 45 minutes texting about their turds.

I say put the actually professional people of all ages in the positions that require professionalism and let the adult brats be the burger flippers and janitors.

"business casual", in my understanding, is a more relaxed "business"-no suits or ties are required. women can wear slacks. men can wear khakis and polo shorts-that sort of thing.

and i agree-etiquette classes don't work as well as a bitchslap of reality or two will. nothing wakes up most entitled brats like being fired and/or prosecuted.
Sorceress
You're right, Rose Red, I've done the same thing and it's made the difference.

I don't think any company should have a "training program" for professional behavior. Employees should be given a handbook when they are hired that outlines what is expected of them, and the consequences if they don't follow it. If they are lazy and don't bother to read it, they get fired. If they read it and blow it off, they get fired. Either way, you're cutting away the dead wood that doesn't want to be an adult and act like they want to EARN a living instead of fart around text messaging or e-mailing their BFFs all day long. Get rid of them and tell them why. Maybe they'll take their next job (if they can get one) more seriously.

A few years ago the Pennsylvania Turnpike was receiving so many complaints about surly toll collectors that they set up a training program in Harrisburg about how to be nice to people. It has helped, they are not so rude anymore, but I agree, why should something like that be necessary? Now if only Ohio Turnpike would do the same thing...
And about the fast foods: There is a McDonalds that has several middle age and older people working there. They are polite and friendly and even though its a fast food, it is actually a joy to order a burger there. There was an Arbys with an older woman who was like that too and she actually had customers who came in regularly and ordered from her. Why can't the business owners realize when they have something good going on?
Employers are spending big bucks on consultants that tell them the best way to accommodate these spoiled brats so they can keep them. The brats will quit a job if they do not get immediate gratification, even if they have no other job because the parents will support them. Many businesses would rather do this than hire older employees - such is ageism.
blondie
Employers are spending big bucks on consultants that tell them the best way to accommodate these spoiled brats so they can keep them. The brats will quit a job if they do not get immediate gratification, even if they have no other job because the parents will support them. Many businesses would rather do this than hire older employees - such is ageism.

yeah-some places even charge employees to go around and constantly praise and reward these little assholes so they don't quit for not getting their entitled amount of praise. i know the adage about "no job too low..." but i'm sorry-i would quit if i was told i had to be confetti thrower to appease these millenial brats. that job would be beneath me. i refuse to hand off my own self worth to be some overgrown autard's amusement so he doesn't take his overhyped "social networking" skills out the door with him.
Ehh, I was told business casual and people showed up in business-casual as well as business-casual. And some people I guess are too fat there to wear dressy clothes, so they have no choice but to come in wearing sweats. All I know it one of the only upsides to that shithole I work in is the dress code. Can't think of too many places where I can wear my Aqua Teen Hunger Force shirt. smiling smiley

All the bratty adults now are probably also the result of early gentle discipline and helicopter parenting. So these people not only want instant gratification (as mentioned), but also praise for everything. They cannot be expected to just do something because they're getting paid for it - they need pats on the head and treats and being told how good they are every time they exhale. And if the fuckers have their own kids, they're even MORE entitled. It's completely insane.
Cambion
Ehh, I was told business casual and people showed up in business-casual as well as business-casual. And some people I guess are too fat there to wear dressy clothes, so they have no choice but to come in wearing sweats. All I know it one of the only upsides to that shithole I work in is the dress code. Can't think of too many places where I can wear my Aqua Teen Hunger Force shirt. smiling smiley

All the bratty adults now are probably also the result of early gentle discipline and helicopter parenting. So these people not only want instant gratification (as mentioned), but also praise for everything. They cannot be expected to just do something because they're getting paid for it - they need pats on the head and treats and being told how good they are every time they exhale. And if the fuckers have their own kids, they're even MORE entitled. It's completely insane.

actually, they are the children of baby boomers and certain among gen x.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login