tried to post on main

Posted by mercurior 
tried to post on main
August 27, 2006
i tried to post this on the main page but it says its been recognised as spam

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2330276_1,00.html

Benefits rise will increase single mums
Roger Dobson and Abul Taher

AN increase of £13 a week in benefits may push up the rate of single motherhood by 2%, according to an EU-wide study that suggests a direct link between the welfare system and the number of lone-parent families.
The analysis of figures in 14 European countries found that Britain has by far the highest proportion of single mothers in the European Union.

The report says that in 2001, more than 8% of British households were headed by a single mother aged 18-35, while the UK also has one of the highest rates of benefits for single mothers.

In 1994 a single mother with two children who worked for about 18 hours a week could expect more than £2,000 a year in benefits. By 2001 the figure had increased to more than £3,500.

The researchers do not say outright that high benefits accelerate family break-up. Others, however, believe the study shows that generous benefits for single motherhood provide an incentive for women to have children alone.

Frank Field, the former Labour minister for social security, said: “I’ve always believed in a causal link between benefits and the number of single mothers.

“We’ve got to change so that people don’t become single mothers. For some, they become single mothers by accident, while for others it’s a deliberate choice.”

The study contrasts the situation in Britain and elsewhere in northern Europe with Mediterranean countries such as Spain, where single-mother families constitute less than 1% of the total. Spanish single mothers received £137 in special benefits a year in 1994, which by 2001 had declined to £38.

Spain, along with Greece, Portugal and Italy, have the lowest numbers of single-mother families in Europe.

Latest figures from the Office for National Statistics show single-mother families in Britain have steadily risen from 1% of all households with children in 1971 to 11% in 2004.

Libertad Gonzalez, a Barcelona academic who compiled the research, studied a sample of 6,580 single mothers from the European Community Household Panel. She estimates that for every £675 a state offers in benefits to lone parents, the incidence of single mothers goes up in that country by 2%.

Many single mothers, however, dismiss any suggestion that women decide to have babies simply to gain benefit money or jump the queue for council housing, for which single mothers are given priority.

Her friend Abigail Banner, 21, is also a single mother in a council flat in Exeter. She has an 18-month-old son called Cody and is unemployed. She receives more than £100 a week in benefits. Banner said she became pregnant accidentally and decided on moral grounds not to have an abortion.

However, she believes that some girls get pregnant because they will get more money. “Lots of young girls think that it’s going to be an easy ride, just have a kid and we’ll get lots of money, and we’ll even get a new flat.”

Rebecca Greamslady, 20, a single mother from Hartcliffe, Bristol, with a two-year-old son, did not plan to become pregnant, but said she found the benefits helpful. “I live in a nice two-bedroom flat and I don’t pay any rent or council tax. The council gives you free driving lessons if you say you want a job — I love freebies.”

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: tried to post on main
August 27, 2006
When certain states in the US put a cap on welfare, meaning that they would not pay out extra for every baby a woman had, the births for welfare mothers dropped. Before the new laws, welfare breeders kept on cranking out those babies because they got more per child. That Rebecca person in the rant is proof-positive of how these single moos claim they did not get preggo on "purpose" (yeah, right) but certainly enjoyed getting a nice flat without paying rent and all of the other freebies that single moohood got them. I, for one, am tired of my taxes paying for these b*tches and their sprogs.
Re: tried to post on main
August 27, 2006
this is in the UK, at least someone here is saying what we all know..

there is a standard benefit paid to single mothers, then you add a small amount for each kid, $20 i think per kid per week. it drops down for the next kid. so $17 for the 2nd and so on.. its not much for the kid, but the incidental benefits that the mothers get like council house etc.. i cant get a council house coz they are all taken over by the single moo;s

at least its being said here..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.