Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hand-washing before daycare

Posted by Christhead 
Hand-washing before daycare
January 31, 2011
I have to go to a daycare once a week for one of my classes and today was my first day. The moment I walked into the room the teachers asked me to wash my hands first thing, which I was planning on doing anyway. I stooped over the toddler-sized sink and lathered my hands up and rinsed them under hot water for two minutes before walking over to where the brats were hanging out doing show and tell.

In five minutes six of them had coughed and/or sneezed without covering their mouths, and the teachers only gave them feeble reminders "Cover your mouth." Meanwhile I was wondering WHY exactly was it so direly important for me to immediately wash my hands. It's as if they thought that I would be the one getting the golden sprogs sick and not vice versa.

The temperature in the room was warm and it just skeeved me out to think of how many germs were incubating in there. I'm going to have to start injecting Vitamin C directly into my veins every week before I go there. I thank God every day for my amazing immune system but I guarantee I'll be getting sick more this semester than any other just from the hourlong weekly exposure.
Re: Hand-washing before daycare
January 31, 2011
And I bet the warm room had that stench of kyds, too, didn't it? Slight oversweet, musty, with a hint of poo. Someone should bottle that smell and sell it as birth control.
January 31, 2011
Christhead
I have to go to a daycare once a week for one of my classes and today was my first day.

Mygawd. I thought Public Speaking as a graduation requirement was the worst and put it off until my last semester, what are you majoring in that requires attending daycare once each week?

::wanders off, holding head in horror:: :eh??
February 01, 2011
Keep hand sanitizer in our purse to use DIRECTLY afterward. Eating nachos with jalapenos is good, b/c jalapenos have more vitamin c than an orange.

I HATE and LOATHE the notion that we have to sanitize the world, when it's KYYYYYDS who are walking, talking, breathing germ vectors. angry flipping off the world 'fail' on flames angry smiley It's fucking ridiculous!

lab mom
February 01, 2011
Eat spicy foods! Load up on vitamins and minerals! Make sure you don't miss meals! Get your sleep! A lot of people are only an all-nighter away from getting sick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
February 01, 2011
One of my nurse friends told me to take zinc every day. I do, and so far this winter, even though I work in a school, I haven't been sick once. I am afraid to tempt KARMA by even typing this, but it's true. My nurse friend swears by it.
February 01, 2011
washing my hands when i did day care was NOT an option-i have become a habitual hand washer thanks to a severe case of hand eczema in my twenties. i always have "injuries" on my hands, especially from hangnails being bitten and torn off. i tend to wash with scalding hot water and use a lot of antibacterial soap. if i touch food, my nose or certain things, bite my nails or even think my hands were around something putrid, they are washed.

working in a day care had me intensely uncomfortable...i only lasted a few weeks before i resigned.
February 01, 2011
Yes it does have that strange child smell. two faces puking

Dorisan
Mygawd. I thought Public Speaking as a graduation requirement was the worst and put it off until my last semester, what are you majoring in that requires attending daycare once each week?

Psychology. It's a development course so we're going there each week to use them for testing.

I take vitamins every morning and eat pretty well and exercise a whole lot. Sleeping can be hard sometimes (especially since the roommate goes to sleep and wakes up to the TV; I don't understand why she can't just lay there and be alone with her own thoughts, it drives me crazy).
February 01, 2011
I would say that sleep is key to not getting sick - can your roommate use headphones?

How long do you have to do this research? I would be tempted to show up wearing a surgical mask. Blech.
February 01, 2011
I guess that's the psych lesson right there, on how people can be disproportionately afraid of germs when children are involved, despite studies showing that it is good for their developing immune systems to be exposed to germs, and ones demonstrating that excessive cleanliness is linked to allergies...to say nothing of your observation that the children appear to be carrying infections.

People are so irrational, and when you put them near children they seem to lose half their already low intelligence. :drool
February 01, 2011
Hell, I know ADULTS who don't cover after a cough or a sneeze.
February 01, 2011
We have the daycare visits once a week for the entire semester in place of an actual lab. The advanced labs tend to be rigorous and I'm kind of relieved that this counts as part of the lab portion. It gives me an hour to give my mind a rest because not a lot of mental activity is required to talk to children. Of course we're starting experiments soon but it's so much easier manipulating children than adults. It's also a lot more difficult recruiting adults, especially when we can't offer any compensation for their time, but the kids are already available to us.

Even if my roommate was willing to sacrifice her TV (seriously, she's like a child herself), they just started construction outside literally two feet from my bed/window that's been consistently waking me up at 7 in the morning. I've been knocking myself out with NyQuil though.
February 01, 2011
wait-christhead, you get to experiment on children??? you lucky bastard!

:partaythumbs upwinkband playing music
February 01, 2011
Christhead
... we're going there each week to use them for testing.

:: Dorisan has eeevil thoughts:: Heh heh heh
February 01, 2011
Oh what the hell...

I VILL REPLACE THEIR BRAINS WITH COMPUTERS AND CREATE THE MAN OF THE FUTURE: THE MACHINE-MAN! THEN THE WORLD WILL BE MINE. MWAH HA HA!!!
February 01, 2011
mistress rotwang
Oh what the hell...

I VILL REPLACE THEIR BRAINS WITH COMPUTERS AND CREATE THE MAN OF THE FUTURE: THE MACHINE-MAN! THEN THE WORLD WILL BE MINE. MWAH HA HA!!!

waving hellolarious A race of ATOMIC SUPERMEN!
February 01, 2011
Please grow your supermen in tubes. thank you.
February 01, 2011
Rose Red
Please grow your supermen in tubes. thank you.

HAHAHAHAHA. I'm so loopy off Robitussin I just laughed at that for two minutes.

We get to observe how good they are with odor identification. No lobotomies unfortunately.
February 01, 2011
That is no fun. I can't make them into the 21st Century ghetto ass version of Borgs.

Resistance is futile, bitches!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login