Food Fight!

Posted by Dorisan 
Food Fight!
January 31, 2011
Gawd, I'm glad I went to school in a less navel gazing era

Twitterpated over cupcakes
Re: Food Fight!
January 31, 2011
"At my kids school, they have kids with allergies and we have to bake only cupcakes that don't have peanuts. That is fine. Now they are thinking to ban cupcakes for the kids birthday and instead send a craft. I am totally against banning cupcakes. Those kids have to learn that they cannot have the world circling around them if they cannot eat a cupcake, don't make the whole class also not have a cupcake. Same with pizza parties. Keep the pizza and cakes! Yum"

confused smiley WHY are they celebrating students' birthdays at school anyway? If there are 30 kids in a class and 36 weeks of class, that's a birthday party nearly every week! EVEN IF they do a once a month celebration for all birthdays in that month, that's still a party every month and will leave the summer birthday kids out. Birthdays, Christmas and ALL religious holidays, Valentines, St Patty's Day, etc........should be celebrated at home, church, or at a community center or somewhere other than school. WHEN will these people figure out that SCHOOL is for learning the basics and NOT a substitute for home life, church, a place for ALL nutritional needs to be met, a psychiatrist's office, mom and dad, etc......?

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
January 31, 2011
kidlesskim
confused smiley WHY are they celebrating students' birthdays at school anyway?

I agree with the principle, but still ... I remember my early school days, listening to Mrs. Krabapple droning on and on about the Pilgrims, Christoper Columbus, Our Founding Fathers .... taking 30 minutes out of the last hour on an occasional Friday to pass around cupcakes (without all the paranoia of "I don't eat food made by people I don't know") was a very welcome break (probably because I was ahead of all that stuff anyway by having the library as my second home)
January 31, 2011
Dorisan
kidlesskim
confused smiley WHY are they celebrating students' birthdays at school anyway?

I agree with the principle, but still ... I remember my early school days, listening to Mrs. Krabapple droning on and on about the Pilgrims, Christoper Columbus, Our Founding Fathers .... taking 30 minutes out of the last hour on an occasional Friday to pass around cupcakes (without all the paranoia of "I don't eat food made by people I don't know") was a very welcome break (probably because I was ahead of all that stuff anyway by having the library as my second home)

I love that little cake eating emoticon! waving hellolarious

Yeah, I used to like the little parties too, but if I had a kid I wouldn't want it eating ANYTHING brought in from some of these peoples' houses. Some of these people outwardly appear neat and clean, but live in filth and God only knows if they are clean while they cook. Then we have the moo cult who think it's kewt to squirt udder juice into baked goods. Then there's always a nutcase in every crowd who wouldn't be past poisoning food or putting something in it to make people sick either. There's just too much bullshit in schools these days to muddy it up with anything like cupcakes, unfortunately. SOMEbody is gonna have a gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, or not be able to eat sugar. It's just easier to do away with all of it, IMO.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
February 01, 2011
I have a friend who subbed in the grade school, and usually got the kindergarten (none of the other subs would "do" kindergarten, gee...wonder why?) Anyway, they got a snack every day, and the moms took turns sending stuff in. There was a list of special snowflakes in the desk drawer, and those kids had to settle for a graham cracker while the others got brownies and cookies with nuts in them. As for class parties - I say no. When I was a kid, the teacher had the class sing "happy birthday" and then we got to pick a little token wrapped present out of her birthday box (it was usually something like a yo-yo or a deck of cards) and then we went on with class. At the school I work in now, Moms are allowed to bring in a treat, but it has to be consumed with their lunch. Kim has it right, though - too many allergies out there, and unsanitary conditions, to eve n touch most stuff brought in from home. Look at GF girl - every time she shows a "finished" product, you can see the crumbs and filth in her kitchen, and Lu's grubby little hands are poking the food...yuck!
February 01, 2011
Did you know that bringing pretty cupcakes to share with my classmates on my Birthday was an integral part of growing up!? Now I know what ruined my Childhood: having a Birthday that coincided with school vacation, and thus not being able to celebrate my Birthday in class with cupcakes.

I find both sides stupid in this debate. Dunce cap

Fact: There will always be some kids with health problems which are not their fault: allergies, diabetes, etc. It's mean to force them to observe fun things (in a classroom, where they are meant to be learning, not having a party) when they're not allowed to participate. The parents who so desperately want to bring cupcakes are not thinking at all about the enjoyment of the other kids in the class, they are thinking about their precious shining and being popular due to bringing a treat. The teacher should beat some sympathy into the heads of these parents by mandating that if treats are brought, there also have to be treats suitable for the students who can't have the treats (and carrot sticks are not a fair alternative to cupcakes).

Fact: Allergies are increasing, but the world isn't going to bend over backward for people with allergies. These kids are going to have to learn that people aren't going to avoid eating foods out of solidarity. There will be times when they will be left out by their medical issues, or forced to accept a substitute. Meanwhile, their parents should be thinking: "How did we create a kid with so many health issues? That's a horrible thing for a kid to have to deal with--we really shouldn't have any more kids."

Of course, what I'm really thinking after reading a few of those whines is that the best solution is to shovel all these breeders into a plague pit and bury them under several tons of peanut-filled cupcakes.
February 01, 2011
At my elementary school nobody wanted to let on that it was their birthday. That's because we had this strange French teacher (she did a few odd things, this was one of them) - if she found out that it was your birthday you'd get a sticker and "birthday bumps". She'd turn you around and bump you on the butt with her knee while the class counted off in French for however many years you were. Then she'd pinch you on the arm and say "A pinch to grow and inch and a smile to grow a mile." You got your sticker then skulked back to your seat all red faced.

Like I said, nobody ever said when it was their birthday but they'd usually be outed by their friends. "Miss Ralph it's Freddy's birthday!"
February 01, 2011
kidlesskim
"At my kids school, they have kids with allergies and we have to bake only cupcakes that don't have peanuts. That is fine. Now they are thinking to ban cupcakes for the kids birthday and instead send a craft. I am totally against banning cupcakes. Those kids have to learn that they cannot have the world circling around them if they cannot eat a cupcake, don't make the whole class also not have a cupcake. Same with pizza parties. Keep the pizza and cakes! Yum"

confused smiley WHY are they celebrating students' birthdays at school anyway? If there are 30 kids in a class and 36 weeks of class, that's a birthday party nearly every week! EVEN IF they do a once a month celebration for all birthdays in that month, that's still a party every month and will leave the summer birthday kids out. Birthdays, Christmas and ALL religious holidays, Valentines, St Patty's Day, etc........should be celebrated at home, church, or at a community center or somewhere other than school. WHEN will these people figure out that SCHOOL is for learning the basics and NOT a substitute for home life, church, a place for ALL nutritional needs to be met, a psychiatrist's office, mom and dad, etc......?

exactly what churches are people going to on st .valentine's day and padraigsant's day? our holy lady of chocolate and green beer?

i find this sort of thing hypocritical of the schools-school lunches were found to be worse than eating fast food, they use loads of sugar, salt, empty carbohydrates and artificial crap and serve shit like funnel cakes, french toast sticks, stuffed crust pizza, stuffed bagel sticks and giant soft pretzels as meals and then they ban cupcakes and suspend (honor) students over candy bars in a show of being "against childhood obesity".

as far as the peanut allergies go, 1.3 percent, according to medicinenet.com have this allergy. i understand that there is a need for these folks to not be around peanuts, but i find it completely idiotic to ban things for the other 8.7 percent simply because a minority might be exposed to it. the fucking schools freak out more over peanuts and candy bars than they do bullying.
February 01, 2011
yurble
Did you know that bringing pretty cupcakes to share with my classmates on my Birthday was an integral part of growing up!? Now I know what ruined my Childhood: having a Birthday that coincided with school vacation, and thus not being able to celebrate my Birthday in class with cupcakes.

I find both sides stupid in this debate. Dunce cap

Fact: There will always be some kids with health problems which are not their fault: allergies, diabetes, etc. It's mean to force them to observe fun things (in a classroom, where they are meant to be learning, not having a party) when they're not allowed to participate. The parents who so desperately want to bring cupcakes are not thinking at all about the enjoyment of the other kids in the class, they are thinking about their precious shining and being popular due to bringing a treat. The teacher should beat some sympathy into the heads of these parents by mandating that if treats are brought, there also have to be treats suitable for the students who can't have the treats (and carrot sticks are not a fair alternative to cupcakes).

Fact: Allergies are increasing, but the world isn't going to bend over backward for people with allergies. These kids are going to have to learn that people aren't going to avoid eating foods out of solidarity. There will be times when they will be left out by their medical issues, or forced to accept a substitute. Meanwhile, their parents should be thinking: "How did we create a kid with so many health issues? That's a horrible thing for a kid to have to deal with--we really shouldn't have any more kids."

Of course, what I'm really thinking after reading a few of those whines is that the best solution is to shovel all these breeders into a plague pit and bury them under several tons of peanut-filled cupcakes.

the second is my point exactly-at some point, this kid is going to be an adult with food allergies and he or she will have to be proactive on their own. banning does not teach the child to actively avoid peanuts-it shelters him from the reality of being in a world with them. as far as making cupcakes and being "mean" to kids with food allergies by them not participating-first thing, life is not fair. being with an allergy or some other physical condition means you might have to do without. BUT, back in the days before moos turned being a parent into a competition and schools became bastions of political correctness and indoctrination, the teacher would ask the parent to make or bring a treat to accommodate the one child in the class and the mother obliged in most cases. it was a good thing.
February 01, 2011
So, I'd probably just send in some raisins and prune juice. It's high fiber, nutrient rich, and I don't know too many people who are allergic to these things. They're just gross in general (imho).

I have a number of food allergies. I just don't eat stuff to which I am allergic. I say, "No, but thank you for offering." Being offered something is inclusion. The ability to advocate for your own health is invaluable.

Both sides are ridiculous in this argument.

It's your hell; you rot in it!
February 01, 2011
I said this here years ago- bears repeating- after having been in breeder homes I wouldn't eat that shit.
February 01, 2011
Aww, I liked getting Rice Krispie treats and cupcakes and stuff at school, back in the 70's/80's. It's sad that kids have to be denied a simple treat because of the mutant retard IVF Frankenloaves with allergies.
February 01, 2011
The whole issue is idiotic because every Moo these days thinks HER kid is the most spayshul/most vulnerable/most allergic. Maybe they should limit "treats" to a veggie tray and juice. I haven't heard of any brats being allergic to carrots or celery, but you can bet some Moo would pipe up that hers is, and is being discriminated against.
February 01, 2011
Sorceress
The whole issue is idiotic because every Moo these days thinks HER kid is the most spayshul/most vulnerable/most allergic. Maybe they should limit "treats" to a veggie tray and juice. I haven't heard of any brats being allergic to carrots or celery, but you can bet some Moo would pipe up that hers is, and is being discriminated against.

Celery Allergy Symptoms

Along with allergies to peanuts, celery allergies affect Americans more frequently than adverse reactions to other foods. Some people only have problems with celery at certain times of the year. This type of allergic reaction is due to cross-reactivity to birch trees or wormwood plants, which share a particular cell structure with celery. Oral syndromes occur most often during birch or wormwood pollination seasons. Other patients may experience allergy symptoms from eating cooked or uncooked celery anytime. Consequences range from simple itching to life-threatening metabolic collapse.

Mouth Itching
Oral symptoms may represent the extent or just the beginning of the physical effects of celery allergies. According to the Mayo Clinic, a tingling or itching sensation begins in the mouth during this type of allergic reaction. Moderate itching in the lips, tongue and throat occurs a minute or two after the body absorbs celery allergens.

Facial Swelling
Because itches can arise at any time, patients may discount those allergy symptoms unless inflammation and swelling accompany them. Many patients with oral celery allergies get raised bumps in the mouth and nothing more. Others experience further swelling in the lips, tongue and throat. The University of Maryland Medical Center reports that additional areas of the skin, such as the face and eyelids, may show visible swelling.

Difficulty Breathing
While oral allergy symptoms usually remain benign, more severe allergic reactions can occur at any time. As the National Institutes of Health relates, swelling in the mouth and throat can block the airways or cause them to become constricted. Symptoms of wheezing, coughing and breathing trouble indicate the onset of anaphylaxis, a condition brought on by celery allergies that can quickly escalate to life-threatening proportions. The NIH advises calling 911 immediately for paramedic assistance.

Uneven Pulse
Anaphylactic shock sets in shortly after eating celery, as breathing obstructions reduce the flow of oxygen throughout the body. Patients may experience a racing, uneven or weak pulse. The NIH notes that confusion, slurred speech and light-headedness may be noticeable signs of a system-wide shock that can lead to loss of consciousness, cardiac arrest and death.

Digestive Problems
Less dramatic allergic reactions to celery go on to affect the digestive tract and then fade away as allergens exit the body. UMMC notes that these allergy symptoms may not begin until an hour or more after eating, when patients may suddenly be overcome by nausea. Although abdominal pain, stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea can be severe, the entire episode should fade completely in a short time. Patients who continue to eat celery, however, will risk subsequent reactions.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/207641-celery-allergy-symptoms/#ixzz1CkaDGjxp

:Violin I have no doubt that SOME body's kid will be allergic to the fucking veggie tray and they'll moo and low about that.

February 01, 2011
I have never in my life bit into a cupcake and found a peanut.
February 01, 2011
Sorceress

Be interesting to watch THAT fight.
Anonymous User
February 01, 2011
Remember nachos "Flanders Style"? Slices of cucumber topped with cottage cheese.
February 01, 2011
I also remember people bringing in cookies and cupcakes or other goodies for birthdays. It wasn't some huge affair - we'd take a few minutes to sing Happy Birthday and munch our treats during the lesson. The only rule was that our trash went in the trash can and not on the floor.

And yeah, I've always hated that whole shit rule of, "If one person can't, then no one can." I remember being in the third grade having a room monitor, which basically meant someone had to tattle on anyone who talked and if they got a certain number of strikes for talking when they had to be quiet, the whole class lost some kind of treat at the end of the week. Now how fair is that to punish everyone for the errors of one? Why not just not give that one person the treat and their punishment can be having to watch everyone else get a treat? That more than anything would make them behave.

Heh, slight drift, I also remember once when I lost a treat for my team during a class study game. It was some dumb thing like a packet of Sweet Tarts for each member and for some reason, I lost the treat for them and me and they all gave me death glares. I looked back and said, "Oh stop. You can buy a whole bag of them at CVS for a couple dollars." But I did that because cutesy little rewards like that do not affect my performance.

If it's that big of a fucking deal,have the mutant with allergies bring their own goddamn junk food that won't kill them. Why should two dozen kids get deprived of a treat because one little fucker is allergic to everything? If the kid is going to go into anaphylactic shock from looking at a peanut, then he should be at home in a fucking plastic bubble.
February 02, 2011
Allergies have been around FOREVER.

All my friends who are adults now (well in to their 40's) figured out how the fuck to stay alive without having the school and every other goddamned place banning this, that and every fucking thing.

The whole no peanuts, nuts, peanut butter bullshit is insane. I know two brothers, my age. One is so deathly allergic, that even the smell can make him violently ill. Guess what, his school didn't ban nuts....

OH NOEZ! Cheliac! No wheat! I can't have shellfish. I can't eat onions. And on and on and on.....

As time goes on, what will be left to eat in a school? Tree bark and gravel?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login