Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Non-religious reasons to take your kid to church

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Non-religious reasons to take your kid to church
August 13, 2012
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/8-non-religious-reasons-kids-church-134700210.html

I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand I don't like organized religion and the idea of parents "having" to go there for their kids is distasteful. On the other hand, I have already told you about being an unpopular child and how my parents not going to church played a role in it. All I had was home and school and both sucked. Church would have been a third place where maybe I could have found something good.

Once I read something about how the fact many people feel they can only have a social life through church is a sad commentary on America. I agree.

What do you think? Should parents take their kids to church even if they aren't into religion?
Re: Non-religious reasons to take your kid to church
August 13, 2012
By the Gods, they should NEVER take their kids to church, especially if they are not religious. That's where the kids will learn to be hypocritical bigots.

It's your hell; you rot in it!
August 13, 2012
reaperess
By the Gods, they should NEVER take their kids to church, especially if they are not religious. That's where the kids will learn to be hypocritical bigots.

Word. Great place to take your brats and have them brainwashed into hating anyone and everyone that isn't JUST like them.

I don't personally care for organized religion or church, since I think it's just another way to control the masses...there are other ways to connect with the community, such as through volunteering.
August 13, 2012
In the Catholic church, families are encouraged to be "members" which means you support the church and they know how much and you get the official envelopes. One thing I have found out is that the reasons for being a member mostly have to do with kids: You want to get babies baptized, you want to get them into Catholic schools, you need it for confirmation, to get the priest to recommend them to get into Catholic high schools and universities. If you are a single or a childless couple, there is no reason to be a member, and come to think of it, not much reason to go to church at all unless you know other people there. Then they might "Shun" you if you are "not a member" (it has happened to me). And Ondinette, I'm sorry about your home and school life but church might not have been much better if you were not in the "right family" or had a grouchy priest (many are, I wonder why).
August 14, 2012
I think it's great for a parent to take his or her child to church, synagogue, circle, temple, mosque, etc., to expose the child to his or her faith. But I think it stops there. The child needs the freedom to decide for himself or herself. The reasons listed in the article are not strong enough. As someone who was both literally raised in church every time the door was open (my mother actually had a key) and someone who was a minister for four years, I must comment on the article (this is based on 15 years in the Word of Faith charismatic denomination):

1. Friends. This is true as long as you believe exactly like everyone else. The moment you differ on even the slightest point of doctrine, politics, science, culture, etc., you will be shunned. Trust me! If you disagree, you will be told to submit. If you continue to disagree, you will be called unteachable, stiff necked and stubborn.

2. Community. Again, it's only a community as long as you believe exactly like the rest of the Borg colony. The moment you voice a minority viewpoint, you are cast out of the community. You will be told to go to a church where you can more easily manipulate the pastor.

3. Activities and events. Definitely true. The church is always hopping. However, most of the activities are alternatives to whatever is happening in "the world," such as Hallelujah Festivals instead of Halloween, so they seem to be sloppy and low budget affairs (Christmas pagents with bathrobes and flipflops, that kind of thing). Left Behind parties anyone?

4. Child care. The church does a smashing job at this, but it also depends on the church. I've seen some that were state of the art and made schools look shameful. And I've seen some that had carpeting on the floor (a taboo whenever bodily fluids are present; ask any hospital). The problem is that most churches expect every woman to rotate through child care during service, including the CF because "women just love babies!"

5. Family values. This is the big problem right here. Whose family? Whose values? It's fine when they remain inside the little concrete block building, but when they spill out into greater society, and they do and will, then we have small wars that engulf the political scene. I have my own familiy and my own values, and very few religions of any stripe, denomination or creed come close.

6. Motivation. Yeah, it's true. I was motivated -- to defy "Bring up a child the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." Not only did I depart, but I became a quasi-pagan! A lot of church-based motivation is rooted in guilt and/or fear (can I get an amen out of the Catholics and Baptists in the room?) so I question the validity of such motivation. I personally think all faiths should be about making better people through love and kindness. Fear and guilt only lead to the hatred and bloodshed we're seeing in the news.

7. Opportunities to help others. THIS SHOULD BE WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! I've noticed that the churches that emphasize helping others, the Sermon on the Mount, are the ones we never hear about. We only hear about the ones who emphasize politics, putting women back in the kitchen, having too many kids, donating all your money to the preacher's private jet, obeying thee prophet, etc. At least I hope there are still churches that help people, that they all don't kill sihks, bomb abortion clinics, protest funerals and insist that every woman have six children.

8. Routine. You mean Pentecostal Standard Time, showing up thirty minutes late every Sunday? Or Baptist Savings Time, showing up an hour before the choir so as to get a good seat?

Not as funny as they could be. I'm still suffering spiritual PTSD. Seriously, I could never take a child to church. I just couldn't.
Ondinette
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/8-non-religious-reasons-kids-church-134700210.html

I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand I don't like organized religion and the idea of parents "having" to go there for their kids is distasteful. On the other hand, I have already told you about being an unpopular child and how my parents not going to church played a role in it. All I had was home and school and both sucked. Church would have been a third place where maybe I could have found something good.

Once I read something about how the fact many people feel they can only have a social life through church is a sad commentary on America. I agree.

What do you think? Should parents take their kids to church even if they aren't into religion?

As someone who spent most of my childhood in a church, I feel the need to issue a resounding NO!

My childhood would have been SO MUCH better had I not had to attend church. In my case, I probably spent 6-7 hours a week in religious services when I was growing up and sometimes more (not including time spent in Christian school Bible classes or other things like that. Don't even get me started on revival weeks and/or weekend church activities! That was hell on earth!).

Ondinette, I can say from experience that kids act the same towards you at church as they do in school. They don't become nice to you just because you start going to their church. I actually found my Christian school classmates to be less friendly in church than they were in school.

Church is a way of controlling people's lives. When you're spending half your weekend or more plus a weeknight just in religious services on top of work and/or school, then you really don't have much time for anything else. That doesn't include the numerous church ministries or activities you'll be pressured to sign up for! It keeps people too busy to question the church's teaching.

I feel that my childhood was wasted on church and wish I'd never had to attend a single church service. I realize I might be overreacting, but do you understand where I'm coming from?shrug
Childfree Marxist
August 14, 2012
Ondinette

FUCK NO!!
August 14, 2012
I HATED going to church when I was a kid.

My parents used it as a weapon.

If I didn't go to church on sunday, then I didn't get to do anything the rest of the day!

How is THAT for instilling good values in a kid?

Needless to say, I haven't been to church in over 20 years....
For a couple of years I was sent to Sunday School. My family aren't religious, so no doubt it was just a way of getting rid of me for a couple of hours. I'm fairly indifferent to religion now, I'm not into it myself but don't mind if other people want to do it.
I didn't hate Sunday School, it didn't scar me for life (unlike normal school) it was just something I did every week. It was probably a good way of reinforcing right from wrong and giving me some morals (although I seem to have misplaced some since then!) I think that it would be good for brats to go to Sunday School to learn respect rather than learn about religion.
August 14, 2012
drake
I HATED going to church when I was a kid.

My parents used it as a weapon.

If I didn't go to church on sunday, then I didn't get to do anything the rest of the day!

How is THAT for instilling good values in a kid?

Needless to say, I haven't been to church in over 20 years....

Pretty much a DITTO on that one here. I was draggedout of bed on Sunday mornings.. even when I was sick.. and had to get all dressed up and totted off to church. I hated it! After I was married in the church that my family belonged to for 3 generations.... I quit. I did go on a few occasions but once my parents died I gave up church entirely. That's been about 18 years now. Sure not something I miss. I am in a community group that does charity work so that's where my social life is. I always thought church was a big waste of time and everyone was so fake. I never understood dressing up and going to a building to do something that you could do right from your own home. If you want to pray then you can do it anywhere. If you are into the Bible then you can read it anywhere. If you want to sing praises... do it in the shower.
August 14, 2012
If you don't even believe in the religion, the kid is going to end up being mighty confused with getting different messages in church and at home on subjects like "what happens after you die?"

I see no reason to play lip service to religion and indoctrinate your children for the sake of a social life. If you live in a community that's so up its ass that not attending church would risk your life or employment prospects I can understand mouthing the words until you can move the fuck away...but if the situation isn't that dire, why not try being an individual?

But I guess attending church is just part of the life script for many people: attending is just something you do because that's what people do, not because it's meaningful to you.
August 14, 2012
I was never forced to go to church, but I voluntarily went when I was a teenager and in my early 20s. It was a social thing for me, and I hung out with my friends there. They had all been raised in this church; I was just a school friend who came along just to hang out with them. The church had a lot of activities for young people like us, so I had fun.

Over 30 years later, they are all right-wing Christian drones, and I'm a leftist Pagan. Obviously the indoctrination didn't work on me, and I'm not sure why. I was there in the pews every week. Apparently not paying attention or being bullied into submission, lol!
August 14, 2012
Starlady- are ya sure we didn't have the same parents? lol!

Your post is EXACTLY what they did to me, dragged me out of bed.

And being sick was NOT an excuse.

I thought it was enormous waste of time also!

And the people at our church were just like ya said, fake fake fake!

And why would God/Goddess give a shit where I 'worshipped' them from?

And don't even get me started on the no meat on Friday bullshit!

Needless to say, I've tweaked my religious views just a TAD since my school days!devil with smile
August 14, 2012
My parents never made us go to church, nor did the raise us to believe we were any particular religion. I got picked for not going to church and for being the wrong religion. Catholic school treated me badly for not being Catholic and Lutheran school treated me badly for not being Lutheran. I just couldn't win.

The only times I've really attended church in my life are for weddings and when I was in Catholic school we had to attend mass every so often. In a couple of other schools I went to they made us attend chappel services, but they were held either in the gym or an auditorium and not in a church. It was all a total waste of time and I found the most devout followers of the faith were the people you could trust the least.

JD
August 14, 2012
coco_uk
For a couple of years I was sent to Sunday School. My family aren't religious, so no doubt it was just a way of getting rid of me for a couple of hours. I'm fairly indifferent to religion now, I'm not into it myself but don't mind if other people want to do it.

Same here. In fact, they sent us to whatever church was geographically closest, meaning that we were exposed to the Methodists, Mormons and Pentecostals. Talk about a strange mix drinking coffee

I don't know if it was because the exposure was such a muddle, or I was an early rationalist. Nothing stuck. In fact, I would argue that exposing kids to church, at least for a year or so as they approach young adulthood, would be an intelligent thing to do. I don't want to frame it as a "know your enemy" approach, but one that educates them to understand the influences of those who try to force their beliefs on the entire country.

IMO, there has to be some susceptibility that allows the dogma of a church to seep in. I worked with a young man who believed the Bible literally. He wasn't the kind of fundie who tried to convert people and was willing to discuss his beliefs calmly so I was able to say "John? The Flood; Adam and Eve; the whole 'created the world in six days' stuff? You believe that? I mean - you're smart; rilly-rilly smart. How can you believe that stuff?" He would simply not accept any rational, scientific ideas. We once got into a discussion about the Laurentide Ice Sheet; I pointed out that scientists believed that might have been a source of the Flood tale. John *shrugged*, admitted it was "interesting" but was still quite sure that what was written in the Bible is what really happened.

John was otherwise a personable, likable guy; we were really good friends; but he would not even speculate on any possible explanations for Biblical events. Events happened as written in the Bible.
August 14, 2012
nathanomir
I think it's great for a parent to take his or her child to church, synagogue, circle, temple, mosque, etc., to expose the child to his or her faith. But I think it stops there. The child needs the freedom to decide for himself or herself. The reasons listed in the article are not strong enough. As someone who was both literally raised in church every time the door was open (my mother actually had a key) and someone who was a minister for four years, I must comment on the article (this is based on 15 years in the Word of Faith charismatic denomination):

1. Friends. This is true as long as you believe exactly like everyone else. The moment you differ on even the slightest point of doctrine, politics, science, culture, etc., you will be shunned. Trust me! If you disagree, you will be told to submit. If you continue to disagree, you will be called unteachable, stiff necked and stubborn.

2. Community. Again, it's only a community as long as you believe exactly like the rest of the Borg colony. The moment you voice a minority viewpoint, you are cast out of the community. You will be told to go to a church where you can more easily manipulate the pastor.

3. Activities and events. Definitely true. The church is always hopping. However, most of the activities are alternatives to whatever is happening in "the world," such as Hallelujah Festivals instead of Halloween, so they seem to be sloppy and low budget affairs (Christmas pagents with bathrobes and flipflops, that kind of thing). Left Behind parties anyone?

4. Child care. The church does a smashing job at this, but it also depends on the church. I've seen some that were state of the art and made schools look shameful. And I've seen some that had carpeting on the floor (a taboo whenever bodily fluids are present; ask any hospital). The problem is that most churches expect every woman to rotate through child care during service, including the CF because "women just love babies!"

5. Family values. This is the big problem right here. Whose family? Whose values? It's fine when they remain inside the little concrete block building, but when they spill out into greater society, and they do and will, then we have small wars that engulf the political scene. I have my own familiy and my own values, and very few religions of any stripe, denomination or creed come close.

6. Motivation. Yeah, it's true. I was motivated -- to defy "Bring up a child the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." Not only did I depart, but I became a quasi-pagan! A lot of church-based motivation is rooted in guilt and/or fear (can I get an amen out of the Catholics and Baptists in the room?) so I question the validity of such motivation. I personally think all faiths should be about making better people through love and kindness. Fear and guilt only lead to the hatred and bloodshed we're seeing in the news.

7. Opportunities to help others. THIS SHOULD BE WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! I've noticed that the churches that emphasize helping others, the Sermon on the Mount, are the ones we never hear about. We only hear about the ones who emphasize politics, putting women back in the kitchen, having too many kids, donating all your money to the preacher's private jet, obeying thee prophet, etc. At least I hope there are still churches that help people, that they all don't kill sihks, bomb abortion clinics, protest funerals and insist that every woman have six children.

8. Routine. You mean Pentecostal Standard Time, showing up thirty minutes late every Sunday? Or Baptist Savings Time, showing up an hour before the choir so as to get a good seat?

Not as funny as they could be. I'm still suffering spiritual PTSD. Seriously, I could never take a child to church. I just couldn't.

I am familiar with all of this because my mother also had a key to the church and was on the church staff as a paid musician. The trips and social events were always fun for me as a kid, but as soon as you voice any doubts about ANYTHING or start asking hard questions they can't or won't answer, it begins to be a problem. For me, that started around age 16, my openly asking hard questions of the church elders, and I completely stopped going at around age 17. I too, still have flashbacks of a lot of really bad shit that went on in that church from blatant racism to affairs among the members, hurtful gossip, ostracism of certain people, cliques, and so on.thumbs updown

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
August 14, 2012
I say no. Don't take children to church for the reason you gave.

Fortunately, except for a brief time when I was very young and again briefly when I was in eighth grade, my parents seldom went to church. My view was this: I have to get up early five days a week to go to school; why must I get up early on Sunday to go to Sunday school and church too? By the latter time, I was already realizing the whole Skydaddy deal was bogus anyway and I wasn't getting a thing from going. It probably helped that the family was Lutheran moderates and not fundie or Catholic. My paternal grandmother pushed a little to get my brother and myself confirmed in the Lutheran church, but I wasn't interested and my parents didn't push me to go anyway (to their great credit). In adulthood I've set foot in church only for the occasional relative's wedding.

You won't find true friends in church. You'll find hypocrites, nuts, and people who are after something from you instead. However, you could look at all that as an early introduction to life in general for a child if you really don't like that child... grinning smiley
August 14, 2012
Ondinette

I know of someone here in town who is single, never married, never had kids, has her only social life through church (she's a Southern Baptist). She's sort of an odd bird in that she has some very socially liberal views - have no idea how she reconciles these with her church's beliefs.

Anyways, no, no child should ever be forced to go to church. Why? Religion should be taken seriously, not as some sort of solidarity experience, not as an excuse to eat a ton of fried, fatty foods with others, or to have to look after someone else's kids.
August 14, 2012
What I would like to know is -

Why is it - that me, a decent person who has never harmed others or even been mean and rude - why is it - that so many people step on me and are mean and rude to me?

And I was shoved through the Jewish Temple as well as Christian Church and I listened and always tried to do right.

So where is this Positive Karma - for me?

I did as I was told. I tried to be a good person. I worked hard and did not abuse others in any way.

From all the shit I have taken I have thus concluded that "Religion" is FALSE.

And I'm about at the point where I'm going to cave and be an asshole like everyone else.

I am not Job and there's only so much I can take.

I am also disturbed by this article which is attempting to rook people into religion for some 'side benefits'. Yeah. How insincere can you be?

But it's about what I'd expect and what I encountered myself.

Bunch of fake assholes.
felisdomestica NLI
August 15, 2012
no way. it's okay to take children to church so they can see whether they like it or not...but that's all. yahoo articles are written by monkeys with typewriters.

As for expanding social circles, if you don't fit in, you don't. I was dragged into church and sunday school every sunday during my childhood. my parents clearly wanted me to be 'actively involved in church activities'. I got some acquaintances indeed, but that's all. no increasing satisfaction in social relationship at all, and hell, I REALLY hated to be among them somehow. there also increased my awkwardness among large group of people.
the worst thing was when I was in jr high a bunch of kids I don't even know from church youth group visited my home and asked why I never attend the youth service and how I should attend the services! ARGH!

I can see how some people can get friends in church, but it is not different from getting friends at gym, community center, language courses, whatever.

I am still butthurt over my parents dragging me to the church while clearly I wasn't interested. I didn't get any benefit from it, at all.
August 15, 2012
I just saw something on our local news that made me think of this thread.
We have a big lottery going on here and people were being asked what they'd do if they won. This one woman said ""First I would give a lot of money to all the churches I belong to""
WTF?? ALL the churches??? Day-um!
Thank you for the replies.

I want to clarify I am not wishing I came from a very religious family. I know that can cause big problems. I was thinking of casually religious people, the ones who go to church on Sunday but their religion does not dominate their entire life. That seems to be the norm around here, or at least it was in the 70s. People who did not go to church at all were considered weird and bad.

This is just one of many ways in which Mom forced me to be different than the other kids. Maybe some of it was ignorance but I know some of it was intentional. In some cases she actually told me she was deliberately doing something different. I resent the shit out of her for this. It's great to be an individual when you are an adult, but it does not work nearly as well for kids. If she was the one who had to face the consequences of her decisions she would have changed her mind really fast. In case you are wondering, Dad just assumed she knew best and went along with her.

When I saw this article on the Yahoo home page I had to click and read it.
August 16, 2012
The people I know who are the most devout? They all have some wicked skeletons in their closet - drug abuse, jail time, and assaults. So while it may give people a fresh start, I think the church preys on the weak and vulnerable.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
August 16, 2012
That's interesting. The last religious lady I met (a print center customer who NEEDED a shit ton of editing done 30 mins. before closing) was a right cunt. She scared off other customers and bitched every time I went to help other people, all so I could fix her stupid Episcopalian bullshit textbooks.

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
August 16, 2012
My Oma was a devout Catholic her entire life. She was a beautiful person, and one of the most spiritually enlightened people I've ever met in my life. Not only did she practise her faith, but she applied it to the way she treated others. She was kind and selfless, even through the war.

I heard of stories where she shared her last bit of bread with starving soldiers and other surviving civillians during WW2, believing that it would always come back to her. It did, and our entire family survived after being refugees in their own country of Germany for over seven years.

The rest of my famblee were also RC, but they were not the same as her. They are selfish people, who believe that going to church = a free pass to be assholes for the rest of the six days.

I was dragged to church as a kyd also, sent to Catechism and Catholic school, but as soon as I learned to question certain aspects of the "faith" I felt as if I didn't belong there anymore.

I have nothing against people who choose to attend church and live in their faith, however, I see far too much hypocrasy within my own famblee to see that the true light of the message lives within the individual...not the congregation.

I have far too many conflicting viewpoints with the RC faith to feel comfortable with attending any masses. While I feel it is good for some people, it isn't necessarily good for all. That goes for most religions.

A church is not just a social outlet. It is a way of life. I still hold dear many of the teachings from my past, but I don't believe it's a good idea to expose your kyds to a religious entity, if you are not interested in the religion itself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login