Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introduction to sustainability (and overpopulation)

Posted by blackpearl 
Introduction to sustainability (and overpopulation)
October 14, 2012
I was checking out some courses on coursera.org and i bumped into one named "Introduction to Sustainability". Guessing that it's about the environment and overpopulation i glanced over the course description and i found a gem that made me roll my eyes big time.

What is the coolest thing I'll learn if I take this class?

We’ve just passed 7 billion people on the planet – but population growth isn’t the biggest threat to a prosperous global future.

If university professors and researchers say that population growth isn't a problem then we're fucked.

Here's the course link.
Re: Introduction to sustainability (and overpopulation)
October 14, 2012
Thanks for the link.
That site is quite interesting.

Unfortunately, it is too late to join that particular class
"Started on: Aug 27th 2012 (8 weeks long)"
October 14, 2012
It is an hard topic to tackle. Most people don't want to admit it.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
October 14, 2012
If population growth isn't the biggest threat to a prosperous global future, I wonder what he thinks would be? Even if it's the likely tree hugger philosophy of pollution, the cutting down of too many trees, global warming, or raping The Rain Forest, all of that is in direct correlation to over population.confused smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
October 14, 2012
I have noticed that places that are supposed to care about the environment like zoos, museums, nature centers and parks have no mention of overpopulation in their environmental education. For example, I went to the Pittsburgh Zoo and while they have exhibits of what fish to buy and how to plant trees, why is there no mention of family planning? Every place like that should have a condom machine in the mens room and Planned Parenthood information in ladies. Also went to an Alcosan open house where they had booths set up for rain barrels, hiking, planting, and what not to put down the drain but why isn't there a Planned Parenthood booth? Better yet, they should have had a basket of condoms in the mens room to give away. But that would have led to awkward moments: "Daddy, what are those?" "Well, son, if me and your mother used one you wouldn't be here". I would even be willing to support a foundation that placed condom machines in the mens rooms of every park, museum and nature center, anyone want to start this foundation?

P.S. This would have helped my visit to the zoo. There was about a 16 year old retarded young man who walked around grabbing himself and going AWWW, AWWW, AWWW so loud the whole time, spoiling my visit because I did not get to see the snakes.
October 14, 2012
mr. neptune
I have noticed that places that are supposed to care about the environment like zoos, museums, nature centers and parks have no mention of overpopulation in their environmental education. For example, I went to the Pittsburgh Zoo and while they have exhibits of what fish to buy and how to plant trees, why is there no mention of family planning? Every place like that should have a condom machine in the mens room and Planned Parenthood information in ladies. Also went to an Alcosan open house where they had booths set up for rain barrels, hiking, planting, and what not to put down the drain but why isn't there a Planned Parenthood booth? Better yet, they should have had a basket of condoms in the mens room to give away. But that would have led to awkward moments: "Daddy, what are those?" "Well, son, if me and your mother used one you wouldn't be here". I would even be willing to support a foundation that placed condom machines in the mens rooms of every park, museum and nature center, anyone want to start this foundation?

P.S. This would have helped my visit to the zoo. There was about a 16 year old retarded young man who walked around grabbing himself and going AWWW, AWWW, AWWW so loud the whole time, spoiling my visit because I did not get to see the snakes.

EXACTLY!thumbs upwink

That reminds me of all the kiddie related school drives for "conservation" and recycling held at the local schools where the proud Soccer Moos load up their gas guzzling S-MooV-'s, with their "SAVE THE PLANET!" bumper stickers, 3-4 kids each in tow, and line up outside the recycling center to drop off news papers and Pepsi cans.eye rolling smiley The biggest lashing I ever took on this subject was when I posted to the local community forum that people with kids could rinse out Coke cans and collect news papers for the rest of their lives and not make up for having had only ONE of those kids. Of course I was BOMBARDED with Bingos and other bullshit including, "You can't possibly care about the Earth's future because you don't have kids!", "Maybe YOU should just kill yourself and help save the planet!", and "WE are teaching OUR kids to be good stewards of the planet!", etc........shrug

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
No mention of overpopulation (anymore)..by the Sierra Club but they had a great plan, then Carl Pope happened...

http://beforeitsnews.com/environment/2012/02/the-sell-out-of-the-sierra-club-by-carl-pope-1770907.html

Watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2em1x2j9-o

Then read this book...Man Swarm and the KIlling of Wildlife.

http://rewilding.org/rewildit/
October 15, 2012
Worse yet, that Autistic retarded young man at the zoo who is flailing his arms around and grabbing is causing more damage (with Attends, etc) than a normal kid would, even though saying this is so mean.
October 15, 2012
Gee, Kim, do you know anything about starting a nonprofit foundation to get our condom machines? I wonder if these places would even consider it? Oh, and what happened with the Sierra Club I think all their offices and such should have condom machines.
October 15, 2012
Museum, zoo etc don't mention overpopulation because it would be bad for business I fear. It would need to be done in a very discreet manner not to cause a moostampede :\

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
October 15, 2012
Unfortunately, we can't because every time you even make a subtile reference at the number of kids breeders and wannabreeds jump off like smb. burned their ass. I tried that once at a language class when we talked about environment and besides the fact that i was dismissed (the teacher basically told me to shut up) i also got some nice "extinction, what if our parents thought like that" bingos. And the worse bitch towards me was a bimbo who earlier said that she wants 6 kids (the irony!)
October 16, 2012
Too bad Andy Warhol is not still around. We have the AW museum here and I think a great exhibit would be to have a way oversize birth control pill case with the pills in a circle and around the case, have flying condoms. If I could draw here I would be can you imagine what this would look like? Guess what, maybe I will go get some cardboard and styrofoam and make it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login