Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Woes of College

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Woes of College
October 11, 2012
Hi folks! I have a complaint that i'm sure everyone has experienced at least once.

The complaint: rude students angry smiley

I can honestly lose count on my encounters with rude students, including today.

This morning, I had to take a chemistry test. When the teacher started passing out our exam, some people didn't stop talking. Some even talk louder. It wasn't until the last group of people recevied their exam that the talking finally ceased.

Even when the teacher is talking, I can still hear people talking about random crap. If talking is that important to you, leave class. One of the worst cases of this happened in my government class two years ago. The teacher was doing lecture while some of the students were being complete assholes. Finally someone had enough and told the class to shut up. She got mean looks, but she didn't care.

And I can't help but notice the increase number of stupid questions being ask every single day.

I just found out that the school is starting to accept the underachievers by lowering the SAT scores (because of money of course). No wonder the enrollment increased every single year.

I don't know, but i'm starting to be at my boiling point with these idiots. Any thoughts or ideas?
PeaceNLI
Re: Woes of College
October 11, 2012
I saw students FB on their smart phones all during class, then use a cheat sheet for the final exam.

Students are becoming more stupid with every passing decade. And to think that these are the people that will be running the country when I retire (shudder)
October 11, 2012
"I just found out that the school is starting to accept the underachievers by lowering the SAT scores (because of money of course). No wonder the enrollment increased every single year"

That's like when apartment complexes start accepting Section 8 renters. When this happens, the entire buliding goes to shit.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
October 11, 2012
empresskitty
I just found out that the school is starting to accept the underachievers by lowering the SAT scores (because of money of course). No wonder the enrollment increased every single year.

If you guys think that's bad, I went to an accredited college that accepted people without a high school diploma. It was a program in which the first semester would be full of remedial classes that would go towards your GED, then you could enroll like a regular student.

So I basically wasted my time going to high school for 4 years when I could have fucked around the whole time and gone to college anyway on this program. It was called "The Second Chance" program, run by the high school I went to in conjunction with this particular college.

That may be one reason why we see the kinds of dumb college students we have today. I wonder how many schools offer such a program.
Anonymous User
October 12, 2012
nobodylikesyourkidbutyou
So I basically wasted my time going to high school for 4 years when I could have fucked around the whole time and gone to college anyway on this program.

I wouldn't say that. My brother once told me of a study that said employers are actually less likely to hire someone with a GED. It implies that they are lazy and/or quitters. Perhaps that is unfair; some people may need to quit school for a good reason, but that's the impression a GED gives. Better to get an actual diploma.
October 12, 2012
Our society has adopted this odd notion that "everybody deserves" a college degree, much like they all "deserve" to have "kids of their own". I completely disagree and furthermore, college isn't and it never HAS been the best thing for everyone! Not everyone is college material and of those who are not, they need to attend a technical or vocational type of school so they can learn a marketable skill or trade. I think the bar needs to be raised instead of lowered so everyone can pass without even opening a text book. The dumbing down of junior and high schools in the 1990's was the first step, so it stands to reason colleges would be next. I weep for society when the generation of idiots now in school are unleashed onto the public and it looks like it's just starting to happen.:drool

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
October 12, 2012
I work at a VERY expensive college in a pretty big city and there are plenty of kids going here who have no clue what they want to do with their lives, no chosen degree, are taking "liberal arts" for 4 years and mommy and daddy are footing the bill. I want to bash their heads against the wall. All so they can say, "I went to A-hole University!" and think that is going to make them millions. When it doesn't they become occupiers and cry about not getting the jobs they wanted. It steams me to no end.
October 12, 2012
bakuchan
nobodylikesyourkidbutyou
So I basically wasted my time going to high school for 4 years when I could have fucked around the whole time and gone to college anyway on this program.

I wouldn't say that. My brother once told me of a study that said employers are actually less likely to hire someone with a GED. It implies that they are lazy and/or quitters. Perhaps that is unfair; some people may need to quit school for a good reason, but that's the impression a GED gives. Better to get an actual diploma.

That's true if all the person has is a GED. But once someone has a college degree, employers no longer look at how someone finished high school.

There's another similar program and I have a friend who teaches in this school. It's a school for students aged 17-20, and it helps them graduate high school and go right onto college. Once again, they fucked around and did nothing all through high school and get rewarded by going to college anyway.
October 13, 2012
The college I went to would accept pretty much anyone who applied. Then they'd take the person's money for a semester or two, until the person flunked out. It was a winning situation for the college. My freshman class had about 500 students in it (it was a small branch campus) and we graduated around 300. Now, probably at least 100 of those students went to another university, or just got behind in their credits, and ended up graduating a semester or two later, but I know of many, many kids who went for the first semester, got dismal grades, got put on academic probation, and then, the second semester, flunked out.
Anonymous User
October 13, 2012

"I went to A-hole University!"

pft. Brown!

Hey! Not all of us from Brown got a useless degree or mention it all the time. Most of my friends/co-workers only know that I went to school in New England (few people in GA, from where I am originally come, even knew what Brown was). But, I was a massively poor kid who went there on partial scholarships and loans - not on my parents' money - and I actually had to put in an effort if I wanted to not be poor after college. It was definitely interesting to learn how the world works. I was eating ramen (12 for a dollar at Star Market - bless you Star), combing the kitchen trash for left-over pizza, working as TA, and doing homework all the time; meanwhile, the extremely rich roommate of my roommate's boyfriend was partying all night (with hookers brought in from NY), skipping class, throwing coins on the floor (because they were too much trouble), and generally being an asshole, but he graduated the same as I did because his family donated a LARGE amount of money.
October 13, 2012
I feel your pain. I'm a trainer at my place of employment right now and most of the new hires are in their early 20s and holy crap, it's like trying to run a daycare. They fall asleep, chatter, screw around on their phones, etc. I find it so disrespectful and if they disrupt the class more than once, I single them out, ridicule them (within work-friendly boundaries, no name-calling or anything), and generally try to make them feel like crap for acting like dicks. It's the only way to get through to these overgrown brats. I've told everyone I train that I don't want to be a jerk, but if they leave me no other choice, it is what it is.
October 13, 2012
Snark Shark
"I went to A-hole University!"

pft. Brown!

Did you know Heidi Mattson : Heidi Mattson

ducking and running

PeaceNLI
I saw students FB on their smart phones all during class, then use a cheat sheet for the final exam.

Students are becoming more stupid with every passing decade. And to think that these are the people that will be running the country when I retire (shudder)

i would love to tweet incorrect answers to these assholes...
October 17, 2012
I am in college too. I cannot take much more ghettoness. They talk when the teacher is talking and are constantly playing on their cellphones during lectures. I cannot take much more of this stupidity...and I say this as a young person myself.
Anonymous User
October 17, 2012
I love one of my current professors. She has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to cellphones. If anyone touches their cellphone during class, they are marked absent. If it rings or vibrates, they are marked absent. Oh woe those poor, stupid bitchfaces who get a D on an open-note quiz (yes, really)—they are deprived of their fuckbook for a whole hour and a half! OH NOES NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
October 17, 2012
What's the point of spending all that money and effort of you're going to dick around on your phone, show up 25 minutes late to a 50 minute class, fall asleep in the middle of it all, then drop out because it's too haaarrrd and live a non-life of mediocrity?

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
October 17, 2012
bakuchan
nobodylikesyourkidbutyou

But it's not faaairrrr. Like welfare previously, there is a stigma attached to having a GED, which is supposed to be a high school equivalency. So there are alternative names for it. This was true for someone I know who got the GED and got to call it something else which sounded like the name of an academy. It was legal because it was right on the certificate which was titled a high school diploma from *** of named state which sounded like a school. The fact that it was an equivalency test was not emphasized. Why finish high school when you can test out of it and pretend you went to a real high school?
Anonymous User
October 17, 2012
michaela
What's the point of spending all that money and effort of you're going to dick around on your phone, show up 25 minutes late to a 50 minute class, fall asleep in the middle of it all, then drop out because it's too haaarrrd and live a non-life of mediocrity?

Simple. It's so the WIC dregs have an excuse to stay in high school financially (read: reliant on others) as well as mentally because they're "students."
October 18, 2012
This is the expected consequence of academic inflation, I fear, which greatly benefits the institutions that profit from it, but drains the rest of society. The average kids have to study an extra four years just to learn what previous generations acquired in high school, while the smart or responsible have to wait until at least master's level before they can start being challenged. People are talking and being assholes in class because they are more or less still teenagers and it is still high school.

Meanwhile, that's four extra years people are kept out of the work force, racking up huge amounts of debt or further draining resources from their families. That's a win for those in positions of power. Unemployment figures look acceptable, and those who don't study can be blamed for their failure to find work. When people graduate, the fact that jobs don't exist for the positions they trained for is covered up by forcing them into any type of employment (usually low wage) by the pressure of those debts, which cannot be discharged through bankruptcy. Meanwhile, their parents are kept working harder than ever to contribute to the rising schooling costs.

The education system in the US seems seriously broken.
October 18, 2012
You think they're bad in college, just wait until they are out in the work force and take their entitled attitudes with them. We just got a bunch of new "kids" at work who are fresh out of college (most of them are in their early to mid 20's) and the majority of them are glued to their phones as if their latest text message or facebook update is more important than paying attention to whoever is training them or actually doing their job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login