Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

entry 1941--"gaybees"

Posted by CJ 
CJ
entry 1941--"gaybees"
October 24, 2006
I've noticed this too, Dragon! WTF do allegedly gay people want their own sprogs? If they want kids so badly, why not just be straight and do it the old-fashioned way?

Here in Wisconsin there's a referendum on the ballot next month called the "Defense of Marriage Amendment." Basically it amounts to legislating discrimination against gays by keeping from them the benefits and protections of marriage. As such, I'm against the amendment. I do wonder, however, why it's assumed that the only purpose of marriage is the production of sprogs. For fuck's sake, I guess my hubby and I aren't "really" married by the usual Christianist definition!

Naturally, most of those against the amendment tell stories of gay couples and their kids and how they would be affected. Hell, nobody wants a relationship unless kids are a part of it, right? Grr...
Re: entry 1941--"gaybees"
October 24, 2006
Being gay or wanting to be a parent are two different things. People don't chose to be parents simply because they are heterosexual any more than people choose to be gay because they don't want to be parents. Of course, that said, most people don't "choose" their sexual orientation either. In these modern times, sex and child bearing are two exclusive things, and don't really have to have too much to do with eachother. If a woman finds the thought of having sex with a man horrific, but still wants to a birth child, it is entirely possible for that to happen without actual sexual penetration with a penis. Of course, a man in the same situation would have a more difficult time, but I guess that's what surrogates and turkey basters are for.

I do believe there is a certian percentage of the human populaton that has the drive to procreate, as well as a percentage of the human population that has no urge to procreate, but that has no bearing on the orentation of those people. I know many gay people who are, or want to involve themselves in, parenting. That said, I find that more gay people than not dislike children and have no desire to raise any. I think, however, it's more 'socially acceptable' for a gay person to express distain for children, after all they can't make any naturally (yeah, that doesn't really make logical sense, but when has society been logical?)

About our "Defense of Marriage" bullshit...if passed, it will actualy legislate discrimination against anyone who is in a "non married" union, heterosexual or homosexual. At least in the city I live in, I believe it is possible for non married, heterosexual people to also enter into a civil union, and receive the same benefits and protections as married people. I know that the people against this tend to go on and on about the affect it would have on children, but you know our pro-natalist society...if it isn't about The Children, it's too complicated to explain or think about. They actually do have an ad out that explains how this law will affect people beyond The Children, in that it will disallow all sorts of "rights" legally married couples take for granted.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
CJ
October 25, 2006
Thanks for the clarification, Feh. "Defense of Marriage" is designed to screw over a lot of people, not just gays. I guess I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with the remark about having kids the old-fasioned way! Note to self: remember to use smilies...
October 25, 2006
No problem. I just wanted to clarify that, because alot of people have pretty big misconceptions about gay folks, and since I happen to work with a bunch of them, I figured I could clear things up a bit. The Defense of Marriage Acts are probably designed to specifically fuck over gay people, because you know those xtians and their "love", however the result ends up being that it fucks over any unmarried couple becuase they can't directly word it to discriminate against same sex couples. And I'm sure those fundies are probably just fine with it affecting any unmarried paring, since that's against THEIR god and all.

Smilies are fun!
:sw

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login