Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Texting While Driving the New Train of Darwinism?

Posted by CatsPajamas 
Is Texting While Driving the New Train of Darwinism?
May 18, 2013
I saw this article on Huffington Post today and I couldn't help but share this peice of snark fodder with you all. It continues to astound me how teens today can be so mind-numbingly stupid. It seems that this teen was particularly stupid, since she just couldn't wait to text while driving on her FIRST day alone behind the wheel!

:drool

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/savannah-nash-dies-texting_n_3294935.html
Re: Is Texting While Driving the New Train of Darwinism?
May 19, 2013
I saw an anti-texting PSA that pissed me off. It was some teen with brain damage from the accident saying "this is the text message that caused the accident that changed my life forever."

No, the text message did NOT cause that accident. The driver did because he was texting and not boating attention. Stop trying to deflect blame.
May 19, 2013
I saw that PSA as well, Julie! I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but you bring up a great point. Also, the thing that pisses me off the most about these idiots is that many times they take someone else out with them when they decide to text and drive. My husband and I actually got into a wreck a few years ago because the stupid bitch behind us was playing with her phone. She rammed into the back of us at a stoplight with so much force that we hit the vehicle in front of us. Our SUV was totalled, but luckily no one was severely injured.
May 19, 2013
I see these stupid PSAs, too.

I guess it's better to make 10,000 laws about texting while driving instead of parents intervening to STOP kids from texting while driving in the first place.
May 19, 2013
Just heard on the radio last night:
One way to reduce these deaths from texting might be for people to learn to drive cars with manual transmissions and for MT to make a comeback. Reason: It is impossible to text while driving a car like that because your hands and feet are too busy using the clutch/brake/accelerator to even hold a text phone. So if you are the parent of a teen, (I know, were not!) it might be a good idea to get them a manual shift car.
May 19, 2013
The reason we have a Nanny State is exactly this. Parents, or anyone else, refusing to take responsibility for their own lives, so they force the government to do the thinking for them. That is not the government's job.

"Oh, I can't tell my precious to not text and drive. Mr. President-Governor-Mayor, YOU tell her not to text and drive! I don't want to take responsibility for the larvae I brought into the world! You're the village elder. I DEMAND THAT YOU TELL HER WHAT TO DO! I have Farmville to play now."

Sorry. I'm in a rather foul mood.

How To End Texting & Driving: Stop giving teenagers cell phones and have pay phones make a comeback. Or give teenagers bare-bones cell phones without texting capabilities.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
I have friends who know that I'm very safety-conscious when it comes to driving (use turn signals for lane changes, honk before backing up, etc), so if they text and drive, they're smart enough not to do it around me. I had one friend do it in front of me, and I started yelling at them about how "people need to cut that shit out, because I am so sick of all of the depressing PSAs about it!"

I have a weird sense of priorities. But my friend (hopefully) knew that I complained at her out of love.
mr. neptune
Just heard on the radio last night:
One way to reduce these deaths from texting might be for people to learn to drive cars with manual transmissions and for MT to make a comeback. Reason: It is impossible to text while driving a car like that because your hands and feet are too busy using the clutch/brake/accelerator to even hold a text phone. So if you are the parent of a teen, (I know, were not!) it might be a good idea to get them a manual shift car.

Wouldn't work. Most of the cars in the UK are manual gear. People still text while driving.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login