Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unhappy with recent park renovation. :td

Posted by marco polo 
Unhappy with recent park renovation. :td
June 07, 2013
A local public park was renovated recently. I don't like it. The whole park is worse.

All of the new playground stuff is brightly colored, plastic, "safe", sanitized horseshit. Gone are the roller slide, the shiny metal slide (that would literally fry your ass on a sunny day), the merry-go-round, and for fuck's sake, the tire swing. They took out the spring-loaded bouncy horse things, too. I'd never trade the old stuff for anything, even though my ass did get burned once or twice.

The WORST thing though, is that the large swingset was removed and not replaced. These were the swings that could be enjoyed by adults and kids alike. Now there is only a stupid, tiny, kiddie swingset.

WHO paid for those renovations, I wonder? Not any little shitbag bastard brats. It was paid for by ADULTS - through tax dollars or donations, adults paid for it. But can't enjoy it, because all of the shit that's there is for kiddies. Why should adults be denied the right to enjoy the swings at a public park? It isn't right.

For one thing, no adult is ever too old to enjoy the swings. I will never believe otherwise. I feel sorry for anyone who disagrees.

For another, it's a passive way of saying that childfree people don't belong at public parks, as if childfree people aren't allowed to use them. BULL. These things are almost always funded via taxes, which includes childfree people's taxes. An adult-sized swingset is the perfect way to thank all of the adults, childfree and childed both, for contributing. And on top of that, the little bastards can enjoy a large swingset too. Everybody wins.

Except in this case, and I think that's really lame.
Re: Unhappy with recent park renovation. :td
June 07, 2013
With as utterly obese and porky as some of the little assholes are getting, I sort of wonder how THEY will fit in the tiny-ass swing sets either. shrug
June 08, 2013
Our town just did this too. They tore down the metal equipment and replaced it with a huge multi-colored Romper Room plastic nightmare. Our once-classy neighbourhood park now looks like a white trash backyard! Thank god our lot is not in visual range of the eyesore; I'm sure it will bring down property values of the houses that border the park.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Anonymous User
June 08, 2013
Our town did this about 10 years ago, it went from being an awesome playground with a concrete floor (the horror!) which the adults could also play in to some santised woodchipped picket fenced nightmare.

They got rid of all the cool stuff overnight, like the massive rocking horse, the roundabout that would take your ankles off if you timed getting on or off at the wrong time, the really high metal slide with the tiniest of rungs on the ladder and the awesome giant's stride. In fairness it probably was dangerous for kids but that's what made it fun. I played there in the eighties when I was a kid and to be honest if I hurt myself, my mum would have given me a cuddle, said it was my own silly fault for not paying attention to what I was doing and then taken me home to put a plaster on my knee. Not suing the council like the idiots would today.

It's quite sad to think that all good stuff has probably been melted down for scrap or rusting away in some salvage yard somewhere.

As for the people who think revamped playgrounds are safe, they obviously haven't seen these prize twunts.

June 08, 2013
FEW things are more hideous and disappointing than one of these "renovated" parks with colorful Kinder-Crap scattered about instead of the classic and well made playground equipment of yesteryear.thumbs updownthumbs updown

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
June 08, 2013
I love swings!
Who the hell says they are only for kids?? Fuck em!!
June 08, 2013
jezebel_daisy
I love swings!
Who the hell says they are only for kids?? Fuck em!!

I can also play on swings. I tend to do this later at night so as not to be seen. It's still some of the most fun I'll ever have.
Anonymous User
June 08, 2013
Oh, I've got another thing to add to this list. This isn't technically about a park, but, you can bring said item there.You guys remember the beloved Radio Flyer red wagon? I had a hand-me-down, rusted-ass, piece of shit as a child. I busted my ass falling out of that thing, scraped my knees, elbows, etc.. riding in it, but I loved it, and it was awesome! Well, they are ruining them. They make these tricked-out ones now, all plastic, complete with padded seats with backs, and arm rests, and a fucking top to protect widdle junyer from the evil sun! Just go to Amazon, and plug in Radio flyer wagon, a picture of this monstrosity should pop up immediately.

I guess they still make the old school ones, but still what the hell?! A crappy, cheap tin wagon isn't good enough for todays snooooflaykez? confused smiley
June 08, 2013
Aw, that happened to my local park, as well! I hadn't been there in years and I ended up passing it one day as I'd taken a different route home, so I thought "fuck it, I'll go play on the swings". No dice - they'd been replaced with those stupid little baybee swings with the tall sides and leg holes so the little darlings don't fall off and scramble their little brains. It's just bullshit! Clearly they hadn't thought about the older kids either - not terribly fair on them, is it?

I used to love that park, too. It was so awesome. *sigh* God fucking damn it, I hate kids.

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Anonymous User
June 08, 2013
terrierist activity
Our town did this about 10 years ago, it went from being an awesome playground with a concrete floor (the horror!) which the adults could also play in to some santised woodchipped picket fenced nightmare.

I remember falling off of the climbing frame onto the Tarmac below. Then they got soft and put grass under the climbing frames, then sand. A bash to the head from a 4 foot fall onto Tarmac never did me any harm! I remember the long red rocking horses that could take about 5 kids. And the wooden roundabouts were always painted dark green, with just enough space underneath to trap your foot if you stood too close.
I assume you're English as you said "mum" not "mom". In 1984 I remember taking my pet hamster down to the playground in the pocket of my cagoule! (Not sure if anyone outside England or under 35 would know what a cagoule is). I had to look up "Giants Stride" as I had never heard of them. I remember Witches Hats though, but I was just about too old for them when I first saw one.
June 08, 2013
The parks here did the same thing, everything was replaced with brightly colored plastic and large foam tiles so Junior doesn't hurt his little tootsies.

I've also seen parents pushing kids in those Radio Flyer "Ultimate Comfort Wagons"...because that's one thing American kids need - more comfort.
June 08, 2013
I don't think padded seats would have worked very well in my wagon, because I also had to use it for hauling stuff as part of my chores (manure, etc). I expect the kids who get these new wagons have never had to do chores, either.
Anonymous User
June 08, 2013
I love swings, so much fun to play with friends trying to jump out of them and see who landed the furthest away. If I hurt myself my mom would put on a band aid and then my dad would put me on the merry go round and spin me as fast as I wanted as I held on. Heck, I clearly remember being at the lake one summer, mom and me were on the nice leather like seated swings. My dad starts pushing us and I'm having a ball while my mom starts cussing him out for pushing her so high (mom is scared of heights). Even parents like to play!
Anonymous User
June 09, 2013

I assume you're English as you said "mum" not "mom". In 1984 I remember taking my pet hamster down to the playground in the pocket of my cagoule! (Not sure if anyone outside England or under 35 would know what a cagoule is). I had to look up "Giants Stride" as I had never heard of them. I remember Witches Hats though, but I was just about too old for them when I first saw one.[/quote

Well deduced, I am indeed British and I do know what a cagoule is (albeit I'm under 35, 33 to be truthful) but I work outdoors and a lot of my volunteers use them. I used to live opposite the park and my mum always had to carry the cat back over the main road because she would always follow us! I never knew what a Witches Hat was called but I do remember them, I was always too scared to stand on the top bit!
June 09, 2013
Honestly, this may sound pathetic but I use swings as an ab workout sometimes when I am too lazy to do one the right way...
June 09, 2013
mistress rotwang
Honestly, this may sound pathetic but I use swings as an ab workout sometimes when I am too lazy to do one the right way...

Oh no - I was going to say - they're good for the arms too!

I would like to install one of the old style ones - right in my home! I think I will put it in the basement, that's empty / has room.

I wonder if you can still buy the 'old style' ones?

Hmmmm ~

I just went and looked -
YES YOU CAN!

There's plenty available on Amazon alone. With and without chains.

Awesome! I have to write this down, before I forget ~

Remember how the black rubber seats would leave a black mark on your butt cheeks? Or whatever you were wearing?
Looks like they come in different colors now too! Ooooo Yellow Ass - here I come! grinning smiley

Most of our parks around here are 'empty'. Just grass fields. Or with a baseball diamond. I'm sure there are some with kiddie play equipment that I just haven't seen. I will have to be on the lookout for these.
June 10, 2013
yurble
I don't think padded seats would have worked very well in my wagon, because I also had to use it for hauling stuff as part of my chores (manure, etc). I expect the kids who get these new wagons have never had to do chores, either.

Yes, used for chores and exploring. I filled my wagon with dirt, rocks, plants, worms, neighborhood cats, lol. We used to dig in the local junk man's back yard and fill our wagons with goodies. Mom was patient and didn't mind as long as we kept our treasures in the garage. We found a beautiful old sterling silver tea pot that she polished up. That wagon saw some hard use, it was like a good old pickup truck for a kid.
June 10, 2013
My mother got a swing sometime after I moved out. So who says swings are for kids? I enjoy a good swing every now and then, although it is rare that I can find a swingset large enough for adults.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login