Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So Glad I don't Teach Grade School

Posted by gymrat 
So Glad I don't Teach Grade School
August 06, 2013
Three days ago I was in one of those God-awful teacher training classes. The woman who sat next to me taught kindergarden, and one of the topics we were discussing was low-level technology to help students learn. These are things such as magnifying glasses, preferential seating for the hearing-impaired, T chairs to help with posture, balance, energy, etc. Well, the kindergarden teacher says, "Oh! Chew necklaces!" She then went on to explain that she had a girl in kindergarden who "needed" to chew, so they put a teething ring around her neck for her. I was horrified and disgusted! I said, "You gotta be kidding me! The kid
needs a chew toy? Like a DOG?" Of course, the kindergarden teacher got defensive and told me that the girl "needed" this oral stimulation, to which I replied, "No five year old needs to still be teething. I would rip that thing off her neck, and every time she started chewing on something it would be a trip to time-out and loss of her snack time!" WTH? So glad I teach high schoolers.
Re: So Glad I don't Teach Grade School
August 06, 2013
I spent my high school years eating lemons. I concentrate better with something in my mouth. Food, chewing gum, cigarettes, candy. I am still like that. But a teething ring , no. Guess I am a tard in my own way.smiling smiley
P.S. Lemon is great to keep nausea away.
August 06, 2013
Time to get Caesar milan
August 06, 2013
barren4ever
I spent my high school years eating lemons. I concentrate better with something in my mouth. Food, chewing gum, cigarettes, candy. I am still like that. But a teething ring , no. Guess I am a tard in my own way.smiling smiley

So, how did your teeth survive all those lemons? Just curious since there so much on the media now about citrus eating away teeth. I have been a lemon eater too (oranges etc) and my teeth are fine.
August 06, 2013
Now that I think about it... I remember lots of kids in my classes who chewed on things...pencils, erasers, gum(which they had to stick on their noses when they got caught chewing it) paper and varioius other things. I do remember a few who walked around with what looked like teething rings (this was in HS) A couple girls wore them as braclets. I didn't think anything of it.. but I'll bet they had that need to chew to concentrate. Personally.. I was a nail biter. (stopped that when I got out of HS)
August 06, 2013
I just envisioned this slobbery teething ring around the kid's neck. How humiliating!
August 06, 2013
That is absolutely ridiculous and a total parenting the world 'fail' on flames
August 06, 2013
barren4ever

We see an adult with a teething ring we screen them for Ecstasy (MDMA) abuse.
http://www.srdtf.org/ecstacy
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/821572-treatment#a1126

I guess there's been massive human genetic degredation since the 70's because no one had chew toys when I was in elementary school. That or people have gotten really stupid in their parenting approach.
August 06, 2013
So this is a thing, huh? Well that explains the gross numbers of teenagers (almost always girls) who traipse around public places, unabashedly sucking on a necklace, or the edge/collar of their shirt to the point the thing has a good two inch ring of slobber on it.

I understand oral fixations, but for reals, try gum or hard candies or even toothpicks. You know, things that were MEANT to go in the mouth.
Anonymous User
August 07, 2013
Shiny
So this is a thing, huh? Well that explains the gross numbers of teenagers (almost always girls) who traipse around public places, unabashedly sucking on a necklace, or the edge/collar of their shirt to the point the thing has a good two inch ring of slobber on it.

I understand oral fixations, but for reals, try gum or hard candies or even toothpicks. You know, things that were MEANT to go in the mouth.

* Tries very hard to avoid making a dick joke *

I don't understand how these fools aren't embarrassed to go around looking and acting like tards.
August 07, 2013
Yeah, the chew toys are an autard thing. They'll probably never outgrow it and will be chomping on rubber dildos in their cubicles 15 years from now.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
August 07, 2013
fade_to_pale
Shiny

* Tries very hard to avoid making a dick joke *

I don't understand how these fools aren't embarrassed to go around looking and acting like tards.

Nah, go ahead and make the dick joke! I don't think these morons will be the kind to get that reputation though. They end up knocked up because sex is only for makin' teh baybees, you know! Putting a dick in your mouth is groooooosss. They're also the kind that complain about prenatal vitamins being so large because "I have issues swallowing things."

Obviously, twat.
August 07, 2013
Shiny

I too hate to see a grown kid chewing on their jewelry and/or clothes! Not only is it a filthy habit, it's completely unnecessary. I don't give a shit if they "need" something in their mouths because by the time they are teens they should have more self restraint than to just have to do something. As for a chew toy necklace? No, that bullshit needs to be banned due to it's germ vector status as much as the fact that it's ridiculous.eye rolling smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
August 07, 2013
crazy old crone
I guess there's been massive human genetic degredation since the 70's because no one had chew toys when I was in elementary school. That or people have gotten really stupid in their parenting approach.

Yes and yes.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
August 07, 2013
gymrat: Your post makes me appreciate the no-nonsense Kindergarten teachers in my building even more. All four of them are veteran educators who have seen first-hand the dumbing down of youth thanks to mollycoddling and the self-esteem movement. One of them is even CF and constantly is telling kids to stop sucking their thumbs and what not. She always has the most rigorous environment and at least 3-5 of her students get tested for the gifted program every year.

I don't even see the Autistic Support kids in my building using ridiculous things like chew toys. Gah!

Adults are supposed to teach kids to function in society, not cater to every nasty whim and let them be like animals.

starlady
barren4ever

So, how did your teeth survive all those lemons? Just curious since there so much on the media now about citrus eating away teeth. I have been a lemon eater too (oranges etc) and my teeth are fine.

My teeth were fine until I had ten months of chemotherapy. The gums receded, exposing more of each tooth. I have several missing since high school. My paternal did not wish to spend his money on fillngs, so every cavity I had was pulled, because it was cheaper. He never lacked money for booze, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login