Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

vacines are not godly, just throw that money in the collection plate

Posted by thom_c 
vacines are not godly, just throw that money in the collection plate
August 31, 2013
That Paragon of christian virture Kennth Copeland

Measles cases put Texas megachurch under scrutiny

Did Eagle Mountain International Church have a culture in which getting vaccinated was seen as a sign of doubt in God?
Jamie Stengle of Associated Press

http://news.msn.com/us/measles-cases-put-texas-megachurch-under-scrutiny/

NEWARK, Texas — The teachings of television evangelist Kenneth Copeland and his family focusing on the virtues of trusting God to keep healthy are under scrutiny after a cluster of measles cases linked to his family's North Texas megachurch revealed many congregants hadn't been vaccinated against the highly contagious disease.

Kenneth Copeland Ministries has won supporters worldwide through television programs, crusades, conferences and prayer request networks. He was a pioneer of the prosperity gospel, which holds that believers are destined to flourish spiritually, physically and financially.

Although church officials were quick to act after the outbreak — including hosting clinics in August at which 220 people received immunization shots — and have denied they are against medical care or vaccinations, people familiar with the ministry say there is a pervasive culture that says believers should rely on God, not modern medicine, to keep them well.

"To get a vaccine would have been viewed by me and my friends and my peers as an act of fear — that you doubted God would keep you safe, you doubted God would keep you healthy. We simply didn't do it," former church member Amy Arden said.

Health officials say 21 people were sickened with the measles after a person who contracted the virus overseas visited the 1,500-member Eagle Mountain International Church located on the grounds of Kenneth Copeland Ministries in Newark, about 20 miles north of Fort Worth.

Of the 21 people who contracted measles linked to the church, 16 were unvaccinated. The others may have had at least one vaccination, but had no documentation.

rest at link

I'm an atheist but if you do believe in the bible, you'll know that the last time god sent down a messenger, we nailed him to the cross. So maybe, you know, he's taking a more indirect approach by improving medicine instead of having us murder another miracle man. If you love god so much, cut him some slack, he's not going to make the same mistake twice.
I'm not religious at all, but every time I read shit like this it reminds me of parable-type story about a guy who drowned because he kept refusing all offers of help when a flood was coming, saying god would save him. When he gets up there and demands why god didn't save him, god's all like "what do you mean? I sent you all those rescuers and you chose to drown instead."

Someone needs to explain to these breediots that maybe vaccines are just little lifeboats from their god.
I hate the anti-vax crowd with the power of 10,000 suns! They think because they are parents they have the right to spread disease and pestilence everywhere they go. Um, no. If you really want to drop your IQ, go read some of the comments.
nargacuga
I'm an atheist but if you do believe in the bible, you'll know that the last time god sent down a messenger, we nailed him to the cross.

Right? How d'you think those who blather and howl the loudest about how much they just looooooove Jesus would treat the guy if he came back, especially as he was back in the day? Some long-haired, Buddhisty, non-white, sandal-wearing dude claiming we should watch each others' backs and maybe not worry so much about accumulating material things.

Yeah, that'd fly REAL well... especially in modern 'Murica.

And as far as the vaccine kerfuffle... god damn, please. Fuckin' fundies do love to obsessively cherry-pick as to when they "know" what their skydaddy's thinking or wanting. What do you want to bet that members in that community line up for IVF if their bodies aren't "naturally" disposed toward giving them enough little Soldiers for Christ? "Naw, that's not a sign from God... He wants us to be fruitful and multiply!" :headbrick
Re: vacines are not godly, just throw that money in the collection plate
September 01, 2013
Snark Shark
at least when the next BLACK PLAGUE comes, it will wipe out the fundies FIRST!

That's what I'd like to see but I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

Paranoia, paranoia, paranoia, paranoid. I'm not sick, but I'm not well. They're all out to get me they're all out to get me, so are you. So are you. (Sung to the tune of Frere Jaques.)
Re: vacines are not godly, just throw that mony in the collection plate
September 01, 2013
ihateshriekers
Did it maybe occur to him that God had people invent vaccines to, I don't know, keep themselves alive?
I agree.

Plus they also don't seem to read the Bible enough, because what it does say is to look out for these types of charlatans and to not let them lead you astray. And if the guy doesn't want to renounce his loony ideas, they're supposed to boot him.

Why aren't they doing this? Why? hitting over the head with a hammer

Are they like, afraid of him? sarcastic clapping
thom c
people familiar with the ministry say there is a pervasive culture that says believers should rely on God, not modern medicine, to keep them well.

Yes, because we all know how well that turns out, don't we?smile rolling left righteyes2
Re: vacines are not godly, just throw that money in the collection plate
September 01, 2013
Getting rather sick of all the Anti Semitism too angry smiley

It's quite bad lately, with the recent ME events. I've even seen comments on 'fluff' news - Miley Cyrus is controlled by the Jews - in case you didn't know smile rolling left righteyes2 Even better - the entire Saudi family? Jews.

:kill

These hard core Christo Fascists love to promote these mind bendlingly bizarre ideas too.

If Jews run the world - why isn't Israel as nice as Dubai?

And what happened to "Love Thy Neighbor"?

Alot of these types seem to think it's a good idea also, to paraphrase - 'bomb the shit out of the Mooslims'.

Um, why?

Oh. Right. Qatar wants to build that gas pipeline.

All of this is somehow the Jews fault, also.

smile rolling left righteyes2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login