Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"This is a candy-free lane."

"This is a candy-free lane."
September 12, 2013
I saw this sign hanging over one of the checkout lanes in the supermarket earlier, and I thought I was losing my mind.
It even had a picture of a candy bar with a circle with a line through it. I guess since parents can't be bothered to tell their kids, "NO CANDY," they have to have a special lane so that Snotleigh doesn't have a meltdown.

I mean, what the fuck? Do the stores have to be the parent now too? This was the first time I was at this store, and they even had those horrible shopping carts with the mini-car attached to it.

It wasn't too bad with kids because I went in the early afternoon, but I was also baby-stalked. This moo picked up an apple from the display and gave it to her toadler to eat. Moo looked at me with a shit-eating grin and said to the brat, "Apples are delicious! Aren't they? APPLE!" I made a face and turned my back, like I usually do when I'm baby-stalked. She didn't wash the apple, and I doubt she even paid for it. Filthy breeders.

I wonder if moo checked out in the candy-free aisle.
Re: "This is a candy-free lane."
September 12, 2013
I always head for those lines if my store has them. At least, I won't have tons of brats wedging between me and the aisle wall for a Snickers bar.
September 12, 2013
How about a KID FREE lane?

Even better - how about a KID FREE STORE?
Anonymous User
September 12, 2013
While I agree the store shouldn't have to parent for the breeders, I might go through that line myself so I wouldn't be tempted to grab candy I don't need.
Anonymous User
September 13, 2013
Sounds like it's just another stupid marketing strategy.
September 13, 2013
I would like it if I could go to a shop that only has healthy products on display. Having a register without candy bars is, of course, just a breeder sop, but having different shops for pre-packaged foods and for basic ingredients could potentially benefit more people. For one thing, I'd only have to deal with all the breeders on those rare times when I wanted to get junk food. The regular store would be a lot less crowded.

Second, studies have shown that our cognitive ability and willpower come from the same pool. Furthermore, we've also learned that the average modern person is bombarded with many more temptations than people were in the past, and each instance of resistance requires willpower. That's why you can start your day right, but by the time evening comes, the cumulative effect of those candy bar ads you've seen, McDonald's you've passed, co-worker's donuts you've ignored, cookie you passed up in favor of salad, and vending machine you didn't put money into makes you want to eat a microwave meal in front of the couch. So I expect to have more mental energy and a healthier diet if I don't have to look at all that crap I'm not going to buy anyway.
September 13, 2013
Shark, I've noticed that at Freddy's, too. Oh, and apparently the Famblee Friendly checkouts are slightly wider to accommodate strollers. Whatever.

I don't give a shit what impulse-items they put at checkouts. I just look for the one with the shortest line.

Though I've been known to buy a candy bar or two just to tweak the child who's tantruming over that very item. It's fun.
September 13, 2013
randomcfchick
.Though I've been known to buy a candy bar or two just to tweak the child who's tantruming over that very item. It's fun.

I love that idea. devil with smile

Paranoia, paranoia, paranoia, paranoid. I'm not sick, but I'm not well. They're all out to get me they're all out to get me, so are you. So are you. (Sung to the tune of Frere Jaques.)
September 14, 2013
randomcfchick
Shark, I've noticed that at Freddy's, too. Oh, and apparently the Famblee Friendly checkouts are slightly wider to accommodate strollers. Whatever.

I don't give a shit what impulse-items they put at checkouts. I just look for the one with the shortest line.

Though I've been known to buy a candy bar or two just to tweak the child who's tantruming over that very item. It's fun.

Is it wider to accommodate the strollers or the Moos?
Anonymous User
September 15, 2013
randomcfchick

I do that too! I figure I deserve a reward for not punting the screaming kyd.

yurble
Second, studies have shown that our cognitive ability and willpower come from the same pool. Furthermore, we've also learned that the average modern person is bombarded with many more temptations than people were in the past, and each instance of resistance requires willpower. That's why you can start your day right, but by the time evening comes, the cumulative effect of those candy bar ads you've seen, McDonald's you've passed, co-worker's donuts you've ignored, cookie you passed up in favor of salad, and vending machine you didn't put money into makes you want to eat a microwave meal in front of the couch. So I expect to have more mental energy and a healthier diet if I don't have to look at all that crap I'm not going to buy anyway.

I switched to buying almost all my groceries online and I've found it easier to eat healthy. It takes less time than being in the store, so it's less taxing. In the store if I want cereal, the other side of the aisle is all junk food, instead of being under separate categories. Seeing the amount of money spent on processed crap as I go makes it easier to edit an online cart rather than not seeing the total until the end. And not having to put up with all the other people in the store is so nice. It's pretty great if you can get it in your area.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login