Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setting the record straight on 6 myths about childless adults

Posted by yurble 
Setting the record straight on 6 myths about childless adults
September 21, 2013

When Allison announced at age 12 that she didn’t want kids, her mother told her not to worry, that she would change her mind. Annette stopped getting invitations to her friends’ kids’ birthday parties after they learned she doesn’t want children of her own; they later explained they hadn’t realized she didn’t like kids. Bruce’s family urged him to rethink his choice not to have kids, for surely he would live to regret it.

These stories, and many more just like them, come from my interviews with childfree women and men from across the U.S. and Canada. They reveal some of the most common myths about the childfree, the term preferred by people who have made the explicit and intentional choice not to have kids.

This article tackles a number of bingos by citing research and interviewing childfree people. For example:

You’ll change your mind
Allison certainly isn’t the only childfree person to have heard this retort. Yet most childfree don’t change their minds. While the drive to nurture kids once we’ve had them may be genetic, the desire to have them is learned. We are taught early and often that one of the most important things anyone can do when they grow up is become a parent. Socialization is a powerful force that shapes our aspirations, including the desire to have kids.

Also discussed:
  • You’ll regret your decision
  • You’ll die alone
  • You're selfish
  • You must hate kids
  • You'll never experience true joy

Usual "let's all get along" ending, and the editor used the word 'childless' in the title, but the content is fairly decent.
Re: Setting the record straight on 6 myths about childless adults
September 22, 2013
Is there a link?
September 22, 2013
Techie
Is there a link?

http://researchshows.bangordailynews.com/2013/09/18/home/setting-the-record-straight-on-6-myths-about-childless-adults/

I couldn't get the link in the OP to work but I found the article.

I think it is a very good article. I believe the author used the word "childness" a the end simply because the data referred to, the doubling of the number of people without children, would include both those who are childfree, as well as those who could not have children though they wanted them.
September 22, 2013
Was missing a letter in the original link, which I have since corrected.
In fairness, the paper's editor could very well have been the reason for "childless" in the title. Editors love to do shit like that, a lot of the time for no discernible reason. (lol... Can you tell I've written for newspapers? Even when I was an editor, I didn't pull that kind of crap unless there was a typo or something.)

I do give the author credit for making a clear distinction between parents and childfree-by-choice, as well as being a megaphone for CF beliefs. Honestly, how many more times do we have to hear mindless bleatings of "you'll change your mind" or "you'll die alone"? THESE HAVE BEEN COVERED, BREEDERS. STFU ALREADY.
September 23, 2013
The "you will be alone" bingo holds no meaning. So what? What is wrong with living alone? Do whatever you want, when you want, without having to see if it upsets the other person.

Some people do better when they live alone. From what I read, number of adults living alone is all time high. At least some people must be figuring it out.

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=national&url=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57600630/living-alone-youre-not-the-only-one/&feed_id=1&videoid=37&catid=57600630
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login