Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

38% of Chyldren Under the Age of TWO Have Used Mobile Devices

Posted by cfchevygirl 
38% of Chyldren Under the Age of TWO Have Used Mobile Devices
October 30, 2013
Seriously? WTF?

In a survey of 1,463 parents, the media-monitoring group found that the number of very young children using smartphones and tablets has shot up in the past year. According to the study, 38 percent of children under 2 have used a mobile device for media, up from only 10 percent two years ago.

Common Sense Media founder and CEO Jim Steyer told HuffPost Live that this is disconcerting, considering the American Academy of Pediatrics’ warnings against any digital media screen time for children at that age.

“The reason is, there’s clear evidence about some of the potentially damaging effects on development,” Steyer said. “And also there’s no evidence that any learning happens via media up until the age of 2.”

The AAP recently released a call for parents to introduce a “media diet” to their kids

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/children-and-technology_n_4171046.html?ref=topbar

What in the hell does an infant/toddler need to be doing with a smart phone, ipad, etc. ? I guess more shit that shitty parunts give their kyds to entertain themselves and leave moo and duh alone.
Re: 38% of Chyldren Under the Age of TWO Have Used Mobile Devices
October 30, 2013
I've seen my friend's brat use duhd's iPad on many occasions (brat just turned 3). Duhd says he mainly gives it to the kid to entertain him during the drive to preschool/work. However did I grow up into a fully functioning adult without this? I mean, my mom and dad would make us sit in the backseat of the car and entertain ourselves with coloring books. If we didn't want to do that, we sat there and looked out the window. The horror.
October 30, 2013
cfchevygirl
Seriously? WTF?

In a survey of 1,463 parents, the media-monitoring group found that the number of very young children using smartphones and tablets has shot up in the past year. According to the study, 38 percent of children under 2 have used a mobile device for media, up from only 10 percent two years ago.

Common Sense Media founder and CEO Jim Steyer told HuffPost Live that this is disconcerting, considering the American Academy of Pediatrics’ warnings against any digital media screen time for children at that age.

“The reason is, there’s clear evidence about some of the potentially damaging effects on development,” Steyer said. “And also there’s no evidence that any learning happens via media up until the age of 2.”

The AAP recently released a call for parents to introduce a “media diet” to their kids

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/children-and-technology_n_4171046.html?ref=topbar

What in the hell does an infant/toddler need to be doing with a smart phone, ipad, etc. ? I guess more shit that shitty parunts give their kyds to entertain themselves and leave moo and duh alone.

I think children FIVE and under shouldn't be using any thing any newer than large crayons, and that's in a pack of eight. Idiot cows!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
October 30, 2013
I've seen someone hand the kid a tablet to watch a kid movie on, in an attempt to keep the beast quiet during a meal. I expect it's typically a way of keeping them from getting bored and wailing. It's the same as TV was for many of my generation: the electronic babysitter.
October 30, 2013
When I got my first smart phone in June of 2012 a six year old little girl told me a few things I needed to know about my phone. The kid was a rare joy to deal with and her knowledge was helpful but something about the conversation turned my stomach. The kid should be eating happy meals and getting dirty on the playground. Instead she's downloading apps and helping grown ups put Netflix on their phones. Something about that always felt wrong to me.
October 30, 2013
I just bought my first tablet at age 23. My family got a desktop computer at age 14, and I bought my first laptop at age 19. Kyds should be kyds and play outside away from electronics until they are at least preteens.There are no academic values for kyds to be using technology so young. They don't have to type long research papers. So what if your kyd can read at age three. It doesn't matter in the long run.

I hope that they have a service plan or extended warranty on their ishit because kyds are so careless.
October 30, 2013
shy lurker
I just bought my first tablet at age 23. My family got a desktop computer at age 14, and I bought my first laptop at age 19. Kyds should be kyds and play outside away from electronics until they are at least preteens.There are no academic values for kyds to be using technology so young. They don't have to type long research papers. So what if your kyd can read at age three. It doesn't matter in the long run.

Many people I know in IT today got their start at 10 or 11 with programming. Today it's possible for people who are so inclined to not only be programming but also learning about the hardware at a young age.

Of course, most of them are just playing games/watching movies and don't know shit about computers despite their generation's vaunted "IT skills," but there will always be some who are curious and see the technology as educational, not passive entertainment.
October 30, 2013
I've been meaning to post something about this. Frequently when I go to a coffee shop, restaurant or store, the first thing I see parents with small kids do when they come in or sit down at the table is go into their purse or pocket, pull out their phone/tablet and hand it to the kid. They don't let the kid have even one minute of trying to sit quietly or entertain itself before giving it an electronic pacifier.

A guy I went to college with was in town in July and he (unfortunately) brought his 10-year-old son. We went to a restaurant and the very first thing he did when we got to the table was hand the kid his expensive phone to play with. I used to be really attracted to this guy but ever since I spent an afternoon watching him let that kid run over him, thumbs updown

I thought the minivans and SUVs with the built-in DVD players and headphone jacks were bad. Heaven forbid your kid not be able to watch a movie every time they're in the car. But then how would mommy or daddy spend the whole trip texting/talking while driving if they were forced to interact with their kids for the whole 20 minutes?
October 31, 2013
cfchevygirl
Seriously? WTF?

They make games for them and you can put TV shows on them. The games are usually stuff like colors and shapes.
We got our first desktop when I was five or six, it was a packard bell. windows 3.1 you guys!! but I used it to play games and doodle in whatever ms paint was called back then, and write stories. Extreme, right? All my games were like kiddie dinosaur games, and...well paint doodles and writing stories. No internet back then. Ski Free! The ski free yeti.

I got my first laptop when I went away to college at 18. I assumed that's when *everyone* gets their first laptop, so these days seeing younger kids with laptops is weird. And the super young kids with smartphones! What the fucking hell! I saw a bunch of middle or elementary schoolers with iphones and I stopped in my tracks and turned around to double check that it was for real. Seriously??

Crayons were my shit. Coloring books. Just pieces of paper so I could write stories and make them up. Basically stick little me anywhere when I was young and I'd make up stories about it. Hasn't changed much winking smiley especially since NaNo started today.

Kids with smartphones is fifteen flavors of oh hell no. Get off my lawn!!
elaphe_guttata
We got our first desktop when I was five or six, it was a packard bell. windows 3.1 you guys!! but I used it to play games and doodle in whatever ms paint was called back then, and write stories. Extreme, right? All my games were like kiddie dinosaur games, and...well paint doodles and writing stories. No internet back then. Ski Free! The ski free yeti.

I got my first laptop when I went away to college at 18. I assumed that's when *everyone* gets their first laptop, so these days seeing younger kids with laptops is weird. And the super young kids with smartphones! What the fucking hell! I saw a bunch of middle or elementary schoolers with iphones and I stopped in my tracks and turned around to double check that it was for real. Seriously??

Crayons were my shit. Coloring books. Just pieces of paper so I could write stories and make them up. Basically stick little me anywhere when I was young and I'd make up stories about it. Hasn't changed much winking smiley especially since NaNo started today.

Kids with smartphones is fifteen flavors of oh hell no. Get off my lawn!!

Wow, pretty much exactly my same experience. Although we had computers from a younger age for me, before internet came to our rural area my parents were sysops of a local BBS. I should have done NaNo this year... >_<

I'm trying to open my mind to the whole smartphone-tablet-ipad thing, I guess it's just the new thing of this decade. Same as computers in the 90s, or cell phones around the same time. Except not as groundbreaking at all. Still, it's changing things, slowly but surely, so I'd better get used to it. I don't own a smartphone, but when this one finally breaks I probably will no longer have a choice.

As for the questions of should babbies be owning or using them... eh. I figure if moo/duh spends THEIR OWN [not welfare] money on it, then it's their choice, because the kyd will most certainly wreck it. I didn't even get a Gameboy [which is pretty much a life-proof brick] until I was about eight, old enough not to destroy it. I can't imagine giving a toddler a smartphone costing hundreds and hundreds of dollars, the screen of which could shatter with a single drop from a coffee table's height. Fuck that. But hey, we all know that breeders are absolutely stupid with money anyway, or else they wouldn't have had children in the first place!
November 02, 2013
shy lurker
So what if your kyd can read at age three. It doesn't matter in the long run.

I could read at age 3 and the only thing it got me was in trouble in school. I had a first grade teacher who couldn't handle the fact that I was bored stupid with "Dick and Jane" and was reading a copy of _Treasure Island_ instead.
skyeyes
shy lurker
So what if your kyd can read at age three. It doesn't matter in the long run.

I could read at age 3 and the only thing it got me was in trouble in school. I had a first grade teacher who couldn't handle the fact that I was bored stupid with "Dick and Jane" and was reading a copy of _Treasure Island_ instead.

My 3rd grade teacher got so pissed off that I read all the time. I don't even know why. It's not like I was reading when we were doing math or science or whatever.

And my most hated thing in school was the stupid reading aloud. I always read ahead because I don't have the patience to go paragraph-by-paragraph. That got me in trouble, too, because if I was called on to read out loud, I didn't know where the class was because I was way ahead.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
I can also relate to getting in trouble at school for being able to read. In second grade, I once selected a book for sixth graders and it was deemed too hard for me. I was bored with every lesson in second grade.

----------
"Be yourself, no matter what. Some will adore you, and some will hate everything about you, but who cares?

It's your life. Make the most out of it."
skyeyes

I can relate to this... I also was reading at age 3 and my kindergarten teacher used to have me read to the class while she worked on class lesson plans bouncing and laughing
November 02, 2013
lar19
I've seen my friend's brat use duhd's iPad on many occasions (brat just turned 3). Duhd says he mainly gives it to the kid to entertain him during the drive to preschool/work. However did I grow up into a fully functioning adult without this? I mean, my mom and dad would make us sit in the backseat of the car and entertain ourselves with coloring books. If we didn't want to do that, we sat there and looked out the window. The horror.

THIS. I wonder if all this ADD (When it is real) isn't due to all this electronic stimulation. What is wrong with a damn coloring book and crayons or something to read in the car? I don't get it. I was perfectly happy on long trips in the back seat comfy with a pillow or two and comforter if needed and my books. Yeesh.,
MerlynHerne
lar19

THIS. I wonder if all this ADD (When it is real) isn't due to all this electronic stimulation. What is wrong with a damn coloring book and crayons or something to read in the car? I don't get it. I was perfectly happy on long trips in the back seat comfy with a pillow or two and comforter if needed and my books. Yeesh.,

That is exactly how car rides were when I was a kyd, too. I had no problem staying occupied, and if I did get bored I *gasp* looked out the window! It was not torture by any means and we all survived several family vacations from IL to FL, and routine trips around town without murdering each other. Oh how did we survive without expensive electronics to keep us entertained 24/7?!smile rolling left righteyes2
November 03, 2013
paragon schnitzophonic
And my most hated thing in school was the stupid reading aloud. I always read ahead because I don't have the patience to go paragraph-by-paragraph. That got me in trouble, too, because if I was called on to read out loud, I didn't know where the class was because I was way ahead.

This was me x1000. Every friggin day I would just read ahead and get in trouble. I got so bored with the kids (in the honors & G/T classes!) reading word.by.freaking.word. I got in trouble for not being on the same page almost every day. When the teacher would be stupid enough to demand for me to read aloud, I'd just say "No" and go back to reading silently. The one time she asked me why, and I answered truthfully (that I was way ahead of everyone else and had no idea where the other kids left off) she flew into a rage and screamed at me. I usually got sent out into the hallway, which suited me just fine. About once ever other week I got sent to the principal's office. She'd see me, sigh and say "Just sit over there" then send me back after about 20 minutes. It was great - peace and quiet, and the ability to do my work without someone who hated me breathing down my neck.

On topic: My dad (an engineer) got a PC back when it was still run on DOS - just before Windows 3.1. I was allowed to play with exactly 3 things - 2 kiddie artwork programs on 5" floppies, and a text editor. We were watched like hawks and only allowed on it for around 30 minutes or so. We were taught very, very basic DOS commands. After that, we had to either do chores or go outside. We were allowed to watch my dad do his work on his engineering programs, but we were not to touch the computer or distract him while he was working. After I turned 6, I was also allowed to play "Oregon Trail." Once I turned 8, I was allowed to use the text editor without being watched, and I wrote a nearly 50 page story over that summer. I still had time limits of 45 minutes a day. I compared that to my cousin's son, who I just saw last night at a family gathering - he is around a year and a half old, and pitched a fit when he didn't get to play with my cousin's smartphone whenever he wanted. I was (and still am) mystified.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login