Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I left my kid in the car and those jack booted thugs charged me...

Posted by thom_c 
I left my kid in the car and those jack booted thugs charged me...
June 11, 2014
I so want this moo to see one of these kids left in a car at my level. Let her do the the CPR...

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/03/the_day_i_left_my_son_in_the_car/

Tuesday, Jun 3, 2014 04:00 PM PST
The day I left my son in the car
I made a split-second decision to run into the store. I had no idea it would consume the next years of my life
Kim Brooks

The day it happened was no different from most; I was worried, and I was running late. I was worried because in a few hours’ time I was going to be enduring a two-and-a-half hour flight with my kids, ages 1 and 4. I was running late because, like many parents of small children, I often find there just aren’t enough hours in the day.

We were visiting my family and I was eager to get home to my husband. My 1-year-old daughter had just gone down for a nap when, in the process of packing, I realized that my son’s headphones, the ones he used to watch a movie on the plane, had broken. I called across the house to my mother that I was going to run to the store to replace them.

“Me too,” my son said.

I asked him if he was sure he didn’t want to stay home with Grandma. “You hate going to the store,” I reminded him.

“No I don’t!” he said. I should have seen what was going on — my parents had been letting him play with the iPad in the car and he was trying to score the extra screen time. We got in my mother’s minivan and drove a mile up the road, through the sleepy subdivision where I’d grown up, the sort of subdivision where kids ride bikes in cul-de-sacs and plenty of people don’t bother to lock their doors, then we parked in the recently erected, nearly empty strip mall. I had two hours to get the headphones, get home, get my 1-year-old daughter up from her nap and fed and changed, get everyone to the airport, through security, and onto a plane.

“I don’t want to go in,” my son said as I opened the door.

“What do you mean you don’t want to go in? You wanted to come.”

He was tapping animated animals on a screen, dragging them from one side to the other. “I don’t want to go in. I changed my mind.”

I tried to make my voice both calm and firm. “Simon,” I said (not his real name but the name I’ll use here). “If we don’t get your headphones, you won’t be able to watch a movie on the flight. It’s a long flight. If you can’t watch a movie on the flight you’re going to be a very, very, very unhappy boy. It will just take a minute. Now come on. We’re running late.”

He glanced up at me, his eyes alight with what I’d come to recognize as a sort of pre-tantrum agitation. “No, no, no, no, no! I don’t want to go in,” he repeated, and turned back to his game.

kid blaming - so typical

snipage here

We flew home. My husband was waiting for us beside the baggage claim with this terrible look on his face. “Call your mom,” he said.

I called her, and she was crying. When she’d arrived home from driving us to the airport, there was a police car in her driveway.

snipage here

And so, it came as more than a shock to me when, on the way home from the airport, I listened to a voice mail from an officer at my family’s local police department explaining that a bystander had noticed me leaving my son in the car, had recorded the incident using a phone’s camera, and had then contacted the police. By the time the police arrived, I had already left the scene, and by the time they looked up the license plate number of the minivan and traced it to my parents, I was flying home.

I’d never been charged with a crime before, so the weeks that followed were pure improvisation. I hired a lawyer to talk to the police on my behalf. I sought advice and support from those I loved and trusted.

whole story at link

What gets me is that the small child is allowed to make the decision of whether or not to stay in the car. My mom would have pulled my ass out of that car whether I protested or not. There's no way I would have been the one making the decision to stay or go. What are these parents thinking?
Re: I left my kid in the car and those jack booted thugs charged me...
June 11, 2014
What surprises me is that she faces charges, whereas breeders who actually off their children generally don't.
June 11, 2014
Who will keep us safe? Does anyone care?

I came upon the most horrifying thing the other day ~ Good luck trying *to get to* your car. Erg.

It was in the comments in a story about elevators. OK, the elevator kept accelerating? Recent story. In the comments someone referenced another story, I did not read it, only their description, which was ~

Someone got off an elevator in an underground parking garage. That was flooded ~

doh face

This is the stuff of nightmares. Can you imagine? I also did picture that scene in The Shining, with the blood. The elevator and the blood.

It must've been like that - the doors open and ~

I have to stop thinking about this. Well, I can't go to work NOW! Ha. Much eyerolling from colleagues when I asked if it would be weird if I called the security guy down there before getting on the elevator. Or - stop at lobby / street level, walk down stairs to garage. I did that today! Laugh all you want.

Things can and do happen, too. My friend told me - she knows this guy who is a gov worker. Certain of these city admin things are housed in certain buildings, which the gov does own. This guy worked in this one building - it caught fire - and like 10 people died. Because there were no sprinklers and - the staircase doors were locked, something. They were *trapped in there*. City employees, in a government building, that was not compliant with building codes. And legally so, too - building was old enough to where certain things did not apply to it.

WHAT THE FUCK???

Well, some people take things like this seriously anyway / my friend shared my concern. Mention stuff like this to anyone - everyone has some kind of horror story they can tell you.

I do believe my work mates ought to go fetch my car for me, have it ready on the street for me to hop into. Now I am SCARED! I wish I hadn't seen that!

And who cares about us? - crickets -. People can burn up in locked fire traps for all they fucking care. Oh, did I mention? It floods here all the time too.

The elevator doors open, and ~
skyeyes
What gets me is that the small child is allowed to make the decision of whether or not to stay in the car. My mom would have pulled my ass out of that car whether I protested or not. There's no way I would have been the one making the decision to stay or go. What are these parents thinking?

I was thinking the same thing. My mom would have yanked me out of the car.
She took great care to set up all her excuses, and all in a way that she didn't just blatantly say "Here's my list of excuses."

But my son wanted to go. He's 4 and you know they can totally make their own decisions at that age.
But he wanted to play with the iPad in the car.
But it's a totally safe neighbourhood, very idyllic, no one locks their doors.
But it's my mawm's minivan, very safe.
But I'm a bizzy mawm, and c'mon, you all know it is when you have kids and you're just so frazzled.
But it was 50 degrees outside and I cracked the windows, so he wouldn't roast or freeze.
But I locked the doors.

What a loooooong article, just so she could weave in all these excuses.

Skyeyes has it. He's FOUR, so he doesn't call the shots. You don't cave when he tells you no no no no no I don't want to stay home, no no no no no I don't want to go in the store, I want to stay in the car. You make him come in the store with you. OR, and here's a novel idea, you don't let him decide that he's coming with you in the first place. The grandmother was at the house; why not TELL your son, don't ask, that he's going to stay put with grandma and that's IT.

captcha - bUMFk --->i.e., bumfuck, where moo insists she lives, and The Village of Bumfucke is the safest place in the world. No reason I can't leave my son in the car.

ETA...had to come back to say that I couldn't read beyond the part about the voicemail from the police. This is a text wall of gargantuan proportions.

But have you read the comments and seen how many are defending this moo? And saying those of us who think otherwise should be ashamed of ourselves? When people of that mind continue to breed and pass on that kind of twisted value system to their kyds, it just says the world is fucked.

~~ Your child's wants & likes do not always come first & these wants & likes should not override the rights of others. Wants & likes do not equal needs.

~~ "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

~~ Girl Scout - Well, I'll tell you what. I'll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout Cookies. Do we have a deal?
Wednesday Addams - Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

~~Two people IS a family, & pets are family, too.</ SPAN STYLE>
She's a slave to her son. God, single divorced moms are almost universally worthless.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
A four year old was allowed to throw a fit about going to the store and then decided to stay in the car? At that age I was already smart enough to know that crap would've gotten my ass warmed with a belt.
June 11, 2014
What a fuckin' jelly spine. Who's the adult in this family? Why does the four-year-old get to call the shots? Moo needs to put on her big girl panties and TELL her bastard that he WILL be staying at home with Grandma or he WILL be going into the store. It doesn't matter what he says or wants because he's the child and Moo is, supposedly, the adult. I'm sure the kid would have thrown a tantrum about being made to stay with Meemaw, but if he can quickly forget that he hates going to the store, I guarantee he would have forgotten how upset he was at not being able to go within a couple minutes.

Besides, I imagine going to the store without wrangling a kid would be a lot easier. But sure, blame everything on the kid. He wanted to go along, he wanted to sit in the car, he wanted to play games. Shucks, what can ya do with these spirited children? You tell them how shit's going to be, and if they don't like it, you hit them until they like it more than being spanked. This is not difficult.

I bet if the fucker died in the car, Moo wouldn't have been charged. Good detail for those planning sizzler PNAs to keep in mind.
Oh FFS, Moo. Of course it's ridiculous. You only stepped away for a minute and it wasn't hot outside and you left the window cracked and fuckall. And when we were chyyyyldrun we all sat in the car and beat the crap out of one another fighting over the driver's seat and/or the radio and NOTHING HAPPENED TO US.

So? YOU, Moo, and your ilk's infinite deification of the chyyyyyld, brought this upon yourself. YOU are likely one of the first ones to argue a guy should be PUT IN JAIL for allowing a child to walk home from school, and some such shit, because it's all about the faaaaamily and the chyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyld. That's what you get, cow.
June 12, 2014
Did this stupid mother ever stop to think - what if she had been rushing through the parking lot and been hit by a car, and knocked unconscious? The ambulance would've come and wisked her away, with no way of knowing that she had a toddler in her car! She isn't sorry/upset about her negligence - she is pissed off because she got caught.
June 12, 2014
I was left in a car as a child. I didn't die. Honestly, leaving a kid alone in a car is not, by itself, an attempted PNA (depends on child age and temperature, and I would say 4 is a tad too old for that). Nor is it something you should call the cop on.

People are getting ridicolous. We live in a world that is A LOT safer than it was 25 years ago.

That said, yes, a 4 yo don't call the shot. He stays home OR go into the shop.

This part had me snickering:

I completed 100 hours of community service and attended parenting education. They presented this agreement to the judge, who accepted the proposal, and then it was over, and the next day I flew home, feeling very, very lucky.

The punishment, in some ways, turned out to be a blessing. I was allowed to complete my community service at nonprofits I cared about deeply, and while it made my life a little more hectic, it was overall a positive experience. For the education I worked privately with a social worker who always had great ideas about how to incorporate positive discipline and adopt better strategies for setting limits

You don't say, oh clueless one?

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
Yanno it sucks that Moos can't leave their kids alone for a hot minute, but that's what you sign up for if you calf. Too bad, so sad.

However, ITA that this brat is running the house:

He was tapping animated animals on a screen, dragging them from one side to the other. “I don’t want to go in. I changed my mind.”

I tried to make my voice both calm and firm. “Simon,” I said (not his real name but the name I’ll use here). “If we don’t get your headphones, you won’t be able to watch a movie on the flight. It’s a long flight. If you can’t watch a movie on the flight you’re going to be a very, very, very unhappy boy. It will just take a minute. Now come on. We’re running late.”

No wonder this bitch has no time and her life is chaotic. I see mothers in stores all the time negotiating with their brats and giving them elaborate justifications they can't possibly understand and about which they don't give a shit. Losers.

She should have grabbed the electronic toy from him, put it in the trunk for being obstinate and yanked him out of the car. If he bitched a real fit, put the toy in the trunk and TAKE HIM HOME, then go back to the store. It was a mile away, right?

God these Moos are so pathetic. I work with one who has a real brat and she argues with her husband all the time. She whined to me once that she told her husband, after he'd disciplined the brat, "You're making him afraid of you." I nearly laughed out loud. I'm not talking about being afraid of getting beaten, but OF COURSE YOU WANT YOUR KID TO BE AFRAID OF YOUR DISAPPROVAL. It's the only sane way to live your life.

These Moos are raising a whole generation of brats with no fear of consequences.
June 12, 2014
My mother would've yanked the toy out of my hand with one arm and me out of the car with the other. If I started to cry I would've been slapped. Then again - since I KNEW the consequences, none of that would've had to happen, as I would've put the toy down, and gone with her into the store.
In a world where 4 year olds have iPods nothing real is very interesting I guess. I always wanted to go into the store with my Mom; there might be something interesting in there. I was curious and didn't have a little screen to obsess on.
I'm loathe to agree with any moo but the article made one good point. Spawn of the sixties, seventies, and eighties rode bikes in the street, played in the woods after dark, and walked to school in all weather. We even rode in backs of station wagons and beds of pickup trucks. Please notice that none of us died from this. The moo in this case was dead wrong and I won't say that she wasn't but why was she charged when moos that do far worse get away with it because they've "suffered enough," "have it so hard." or something else equally stupid?
Agree with all those who have said what the fuck is a 4 year old getting to call the shots for?

I would not have been given a choice about it - 4 year old can be given choices about small things - like "do you want an apple or an orange" but not whether they go to the store or get out of a car or not.

Moo is setting herself up for a lifetime of catering to the whims of a tiny terrorist and it won't be so cyoote once it hits adulthood.
June 13, 2014
satansbitch
I'm loathe to agree with any moo but the article made one good point. Spawn of the sixties, seventies, and eighties rode bikes in the street, played in the woods after dark, and walked to school in all weather. We even rode in backs of station wagons and beds of pickup trucks. Please notice that none of us died from this. The moo in this case was dead wrong and I won't say that she wasn't but why was she charged when moos that do far worse get away with it because they've "suffered enough," "have it so hard." or something else equally stupid?

Although I am far from a proponent of helicopter parenting, there are certain dangers that are sensible to heed.

Many kids of my generation and town did ride in the backs of wagons and pickups unsecured.
Hundreds of us were fine, three of them died and two were severely fucked up mentally and physically.

Four year old children left in a car can get in LOTS of trouble, whether self-generated (ie playing with car functions, leaving the car, let in other people, etc), due to heat/ cold, mother getting sick/injured, collision to the car, stranger danger or other causes.

They are not mature enough for difficult decision-making, which is why it is not usually legal to leave a kid alone until age 12 (depending on jurisdiction)
I can't tell you how many times I have seen parunts who say that their 2/3/4-y.o. managed to unlock multiple locks and then leave their house/apartment, allegedly before the parunt even knew what was happening.

Well, if a 4 y.o. can negotiate multiple locks -- even deadbolts or latches -- then, why wouldn't he/she be able to unlock a car door from the inside and wander off?

Frankly, I don't care what they do. It is up to the law to catch up with them if it is decided that leaving a sprog in a car is a crime. But, what gets me is parunts who decide that a kyd can be "locked" in a car and will stay in there, with no potential to get out and run off/run in front of a car, or worse.

If kyds can really get out of a locked house, why couldn't they just as easily get out of a locked car? It's amazing to me that this womban decided the kyd would be safe being locked in the car alone, while kyds don't always manage to be contained in a house, with their parunts under the same roof.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login