Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

yay for e-mail filters!

Posted by RandomCFChick 
RandomCFChick
yay for e-mail filters!
November 09, 2006
I have one friend from college (well, sort of friend...we aren't close anymore) who has been fond of photo-spamming me with pictures of her two sprogs. She lives in a different part of the country, and we really don't see each other anymore. She does occasionally send interesting and/or funny stuff about non-kid topics, so I like reading those ones. She's ignored my requests for fewer pictures (one or two per year would be okay...I don't hate children, but don't know her kids, and thus am not interested).

I figured out how to tweak my e-mail filters based on using her kids' names, plus a few keywords that seem to show up in sprog pictures, plus the .jpg tag .. It's working great! Every single batch of photo-spam goes straight to the junk folder, where it's auto-deleted after a few days. Simple process, I know. But highly satisfying.
cfhistorian
Re: yay for e-mail filters!
November 09, 2006
If she ever asks you about the pictures, what will you tell her?
November 09, 2006
they got lost in the aether(post)..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
CFADinNYC
November 09, 2006
Oh, if it was that EASY to edit and filter sprogs in real life!!! Zap - and your are sent to the junk folder!!!!
November 09, 2006
CFADinNYC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, if it was that EASY to edit and filter sprogs
> in real life!!! Zap - and your are sent to the
> junk folder!!!!

LOL!!!!

lab mom
Anonymous User
November 09, 2006
An old co-worker of mine used to send nothing but pictures of her sprogs. Butt loads of them. I finally set up a rule in my e-mail to automatically delete every one of them. It still works to this day. I set that rule up about 2 years ago. She has no idea that those pictures get deleted and she never asks about them. She moved out of state and I don't talk to her much at all anyway.
RandomCFChick
November 09, 2006
cfhistorian Wrote:
> If she ever asks you about the pictures, what will
> you tell her?

Well...I thought about that as I was pondering putting the filter in place. Chances of her asking are fairly slim. Really. Generally if I want non-sprog info out of her, I have to compose an email that says "So how are YOU?". She never has asked about the pictures, and this has been going on for three or four years now. But I figure I have a few options.
If I'm feeling neutral:
-"Oh, yeah, those pictures arrived." (leaving out "...and went straight to my junk folder, so I never actually saw 'em"
-"They're in one of my e-mail folders." (leaving out "...but will self-delete after a week")
-"Yep, they arrived safe and sound. So what are you up to these days?"

If I'm feeling indulgent:
-"Gee, kids sure do grow." (fact of nature...everything grows, but parents take this as a compliment for some reason)
-"Your oldest looks like [husband's name]". (fact of nature since they're their biological kids...and again, parents take this as a compliment)

If I'm indifferent:
-Ignore her question, since it's about her kids. After all, she ignores some of my questions that aren't about her kids.
-"Gosh it's so hard to keep track."
November 09, 2006
CFADinNYC Wrote:
> Oh, if it was that EASY to edit and filter sprogs
> in real life!!! Zap - and your are sent to the
> junk folder!!!!

AMEN !!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login