Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's up with HuffPost? Another positive CF article :wtf

Posted by Dorisan 
What's up with HuffPost? Another positive CF article :wtf
August 16, 2014
LINK

Damned good article. The writer sounds pissed off and expresses it simply and with clarity. She echoes a lot of what I thought and had to endure as a young woman.
Re: What's up with HuffPost? Another positive CF article :wtf
August 16, 2014
Amen. And the comments are largely pretty supportive.
August 16, 2014
So odd! It was only a year ago that the Huffpost was posting apologetic, breeder-pleasing bullshit. Some of the CF articles used to be written by breeders themselves smile rolling left righteyes2
August 17, 2014
I've read at least 30 comments and nobody has mentioned God yet. Amazing!

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
August 17, 2014
That was a great article, which spelled out the bullshit women go through to get sterilized.

In the comments someone mentioned a book which sounds interesting. I am interested in the experiences of child-free women older than myself and one thing I appreciate about this board is that there are people of different ages, but still it seems like the majority are 20-, 30- or 40-something.

Every woman I know who choose to be child-free had to deal with other people's negative judgements. Fifteen of us wrote about what our lives have been like in "Kid Me Not: an anthology by child-free women of the '60s, now in their 60s." It's available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon. See http://childfreewomen.com

Had to read a long way through the comments, but I did eventually find an idiot.

t's brave to say this, I get that. Though I'm not sure this arguement about sterilization is healthy. Twofold it diminishes the struggle of those who want kids and can't have one. Then physically altering your body's ability to have children is potentially dangerous, from hormonal changes to increasing risk of certain cancers. Prescribing to this thinking is a slippery slope...again going childless is one thing, but permantly altering your body is another.

Yeah, because it's so much healthier to stuff yourself full of hormonal contraceptives for 30 years...and the first reason? There is so much stupid in that I can't even grasp it.
August 17, 2014
There was also someone spouting off about how lonely she'd be without her kids and grandkids, and this sanctimoomy. Nobody in that thread was at all talking about breeders, but she had to butt in with all the zeal of a convert.

For years I stuck by my decision of having no kids, then I unexpectedly became pregnant with my first. Several years later and now I can't imagine my life without my two little ones. It is not patronizing to become a mother, it is offensive to me for someone to paint me into a corner as well. I'm not an apron-wearing pushover and I'm still a vibrant and independent woman. I may be married and have kids but it didn't turn me into the "maternal monster" that many on this forum seem to think it would. The fact remains, I'm the same person I was before having kids but only a better person because children make the world brighter and made me less selfish. One can never know how beautiful it is to be a mother without ever having been one, so judge me all you want.

As you get to the bottom of the comments, you get the dregs.

Knew a couple in their mid-20s. They spouted the usual "we don't want to have children--too many kids in the world, overcrowding, etc." rationale. Eight years later they were over the moon about their new daughter. Lots of people say they don't want to have kids and change their minds later. THAT'S why physicians were reluctant to sterilize you, not because you were especially put upon. Please spare us the "childfree"--it makes it sounds as if children are a pestilence. If you want to remain childless, that's great. No one should have a kid who doesn't want one. Just don't expect applause.

I'm glad I have my son (I'm 40) and that I've had parents who were married since they were 21... and you're posting this article has informed me about the type of women I don't need or want in my life... because several of you have mentioned your love for freedom & money... and your intellect just doesn't make sense.

Thats ok for u if u have choice..what bout us of those who don t...do u know how breaking that is..i don t deny u what u believe but please have thought for those who have no choice..childess couples..because biology..
??????
August 17, 2014
yummynotmummy
Amen. And the comments are largely pretty supportive.

In the beginning. There are a number of posters who are busy rebutting the breeder remarks, but the shit from those people is getting deep.

And, as usual, the threadjackers come along - "you think being childfree is hard, try having only one kid and see how people lecture you!"

Like I could give a big, fat, rat's crap about the singletons.

And then there are the grandpas and grandmas who are trying to tell us that we'll realize "what's important" when we get to their age and not have precious grandbabies. NEWSFLASH!! Plenty of us are their age and are perfectly fine with the "what's important" part of our lives.

Gawd, those people get tiresome.
August 17, 2014
yurble
I am interested in the experiences of child-free women older than myself and one thing I appreciate about this board is that there are people of different ages, but still it seems like the majority are 20-, 30- or 40-something.

This autumn, I will be turning 50 years of age and my child-free boyfriend is becoming 60 years of age.
I am open to all questions.
August 17, 2014
I may have to check this out, though normally I avoid HuffPost like the plague. It went down the crapper some time agosmile rolling left righteyes2

Parunts are a touchy lot, aren't they? Why does anyone's decision not to follow the LifeScript (tm) bother them so much? How is it hurting them in any way? Unless they just need to feel superior to those childfree folks, who after all aren't really doing anything important. For example, cleaning up messes, buying kindercrap, planning vacations to Disney World, etc. Gawd forbid anyone live life without conforming to expectations! Sorry parunts, Hubby and I have a life, and it's pretty busy and cool without kyds in the house.

It takes a child to raze a village.
August 17, 2014
cassia
yurble
I am interested in the experiences of child-free women older than myself and one thing I appreciate about this board is that there are people of different ages, but still it seems like the majority are 20-, 30- or 40-something.

This autumn, I will be turning 50 years of age and my child-free boyfriend is becoming 60 years of age.

I'm a 64-year-old childfree woman - will be turning 65 (eligible for Medicare, yay!) in October.
August 17, 2014
cassia
yurble

Thanks for the offer, I split off your AMA to another thread smiling smiley
August 17, 2014
Predictable that there would be some butthurt breeders waddling along to tell us what we're missing out on smile rolling left righteyes2

How exactly does women being allowed to be sterilised diminish women who are fertility challenged? I just don't get the connection. Must be breeder logic :eyebrows
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login