Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pre-teen asshats at K-Mart todayangry smiley

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Pre-teen asshats at K-Mart todayangry smiley
October 12, 2014
I decided to go check out the discounts at my local K-Mart (it is scheduled for closure) and ended up so furious I left without buying anything. I'll probably go back when the discounts increase, but today was not the day for me to shop.

I was wandering through the aisles, not really looking for anything in particular. I see two girls- around 11 or 12- coming down the aisle next to me, one was in a wheelchair and the other was driving the store's motorized cart. My curiosity was raised when I heard one say to the other, "you wanna take turns riding and pushing?" So I know they don't NEED to be in the cart and chair, they are messing with courtesy equipment that someone might need to legitimately use. I decided to watch them just to see what they were doing.

The first one gets out of the wheelchair at the end of the aisle and leaves it there as she walks off across the store. The one in the cart runs into the chair to move it, backing up and repeatedly hitting it with the cart. She finally pushes it out of the way and drives off to find the other one. I walk over and move the chair into another aisle where it won't be in the way until I can find a store employee. Then I see the two an aisle over, one in the cart basket, the other driving. An employee happened to be walking by and I told her about the two kids playing with the cart... she asked them what they were doing and they told her the one NEEDED to drive the cart. She smiles at them and tells them to be careful and walks away. Of course that sets them into a giggling fit because they lied and got away with it.

So Miss NASCAR zips up another aisle- mind you, she is knocking things down and off lower shelves because she can't drive the cart worth a damn, keeps getting stuck on corners, and backs up just as badly. She almost hit another store employee and that's when things got good.

The little old lady told the kid to take the cart back up front but "be careful honey, I know it's hard to drive." Great idea, the front of the store is packed with shoppers, to give little asshat plenty of targets to hit. Then the poor "handicapped" children that HAD to use the cart went running past me as fast as they could go- if I had an extra second warning, I would've been very tempted to stick my foot out. Of course they are heading for the wheelchair to mess around with since the zoomie cart was taken away. They are both trying to sit in it and I looked at the employee (the same one that told them to put away the cart) and asked her if she was going to do something about that too. She smiles at me and asks me- referring to the one driving the cart- if she "was my daughter."

Usually I can ignore kids if I have to, but there was something about these two and their attitude that put me to the point of no return irritation with these little idiots, so my reply was a bit more blunt than it would normally be with an older person. "Are you kidding? If she was mine, I would BEAT her GOD DAMNED ass!" Well she nearly fell over and proceeded to lecture me on my strong and inappropriate language... I said, "while you are wasting time lecturing a grown adult on words these brats are going to hurt one of your other customers. I suggest you take that chair away from them so someone that really needs it can use it."

She finally did that, then they proceeded over to the furniture on a high display table- and were pulling on it! I took a picture just in case they managed to pull it over on them so the store would at least have evidence they pulled it over rather than it be an accident. And these are kids old enough to know better, they just didn't care. The age when the answer for everything is an eye roll and a "WHAT. EVER."

God, I was fuming. Did I over-react? Maybe a little, a friend of mine said if the employees don't care any more, why should I? I realize the employees will be out of a job just before Christmas and that stinks for them, it really does. But they still have a job to do for seven weeks. And that job includes taking care of little asshats that don't need to be playing with something meant for someone with a disability, just because they are bored.

Sorry this was a bit long. Rant over- but WOW it feels good to get it out
Re: Pre-teen asshats at K-Mart todayangry smiley
October 12, 2014
cfcaligirl
I realize the employees will be out of a job just before Christmas and that stinks for them, it really does. But they still have a job to do for seven weeks. And that job includes taking care of little asshats that don't need to be playing with something meant for someone with a disability, just because they are bored.

That would probably account for much of the attitude. They might even be wishing that one of the brats would hurt itself so that Kmart not only has another failed store on its hands, they have a big fat lawsuit.
October 12, 2014
Dorisan
cfcaligirl
I realize the employees will be out of a job just before Christmas and that stinks for them, it really does. But they still have a job to do for seven weeks. And that job includes taking care of little asshats that don't need to be playing with something meant for someone with a disability, just because they are bored.

That would probably account for much of the attitude. They might even be wishing that one of the brats would hurt itself so that Kmart not only has another failed store on its hands, they have a big fat lawsuit.

ln many decades of working, I have been an employee in three different stores that were closing.
Despite the looming the looming threat of unemployment, combined with worry and stress, I continued doing excellent work and even tried to create extra opportunities right to the end of the last shift.
You never know what connection or reference will lead to the next job.
I was able to garner the attention of district managers, fellow employees and customers, so that I had lots of good references and connections towards the next job offer.
In each case, I slid right into the next job with a direct employment offer.
October 12, 2014
cassia
Dorisan
cfcaligirl

ln many decades of working, I have been an employee in three different stores that were closing.
Despite the looming the looming threat of unemployment, combined with worry and stress, I continued doing excellent work and even tried to create extra opportunities right to the end of the last shift.
I was able to garner the attention of district managers, fellow employees and customers, so that I had lots of good references and connections towards the next job offer.

As did I (years ago, worked at JC Penney. I swore off retail after that). Today's young people? I dunno. Even in today's retail environment ... I have a number of nieces and nephews who started out in retail while in high school. This isn't a blanket statement, but those youngsters felt that they were a dime a dozen, to management, particularly working at a low end Big Box store like Walmart or Kmart.
October 12, 2014
cassia

Ah but that is logical and smart. Most of the breeder type employees are demonstrating the "fuck da man" attitude that put them in breederville to start.

Dorisan
As did I (years ago, worked at JC Penney. I swore off retail after that). Today's young people? I dunno. Even in today's retail environment ... I have a number of nieces and nephews who started out in retail while in high school. This isn't a blanket statement, but those youngsters felt that they were a dime a dozen, to management, particularly working at a low end Big Box store like Walmart or Kmart.

I'm currently struggling with this myself. I just finished my BA and am studying toward a certification, meanwhile I'm still stuck in fast-food hell. It's hard to have respect for the business or the people you work for when they have no respect for you. The other day my store manager was saying that he couldn't wait for the bad weather to come so he could start sending people home for lack of business - it's great for his profits! Um, but MY paycheck - the one I'm struggling on in the first place - is short when that happens!

The owners and managers at these places don't see employees as human beings, they see us as a problem that sucks away profits. Sorry, but I can't seem to garner much energy toward caring about giving customers great service when my bosses are waiting to pounce at the slightest provocation to short my paycheck, reduce my hours, or come up with some loophole to make sure they don't have to provide me with benefits, sick pay, or holiday pay. angry flipping off
October 12, 2014

I decided to go check out the discounts at my local K-Mart (it is scheduled for closure) and ended up so furious I left without buying anything. I'll probably go back when the discounts increase, but today was not the day for me to shop.

I saw this and was going to ask you if you live on the W. Side of Chi ~

But then I read your screen name more carefully and maybe your in Cali? I have bad eyesight / no insult intended in any case - when I first glanced at your screen name I thought it was cfcallgirl. Ooops. Or do you live here? Didn't I see you once over there by 43rd street? Were you walkin or workin? grinning smiley

Anyway, we have one closing too, and I went there last week too. Mainly looking for some house things like a new bedspread / comforter and bath towels and rugs. This one is only at 25% off right now - and is already pretty TRASHED.

Note to Jaclyn Smith and KMart: Your comforters are TOO EXPENSIVE! The halfway decent ones (all brands) were in the $90 range, the bagged up sets - were up to $200. WTF? What is this? - Nieman Marcus? They weren't all that great either.

I did see a few I liked, and some "quilts" - I might get one of those - they were also $75 - $100. OUCH.

I too will try again when they drop the prices. The place is already trashed. I didn't see it but my friend said she saw a pile of stuff that looked re - wrapped and maybe had been brought in from other stores.

Are alot of KMarts closing?

This one was pretty trashed already but when I was there there weren't a whole lot of people in there and the only unusual thing I saw, which we had a laugh over, - walking down a main aisle and these two women were going towards a clothing area, wondering about the price of something, the one walks up to a wall and starts to reach for a red 'unit' on the wall - thinking it was one of those 'check the price scanners' - and the other girl yells to her - hey - that's a fire alarm! Looks over at us and we all had a laugh anyway, ha.
October 12, 2014
cfcaligirl
God, I was fuming. Did I over-react? Maybe a little, a friend of mine said if the employees don't care any more, why should I? I realize the employees will be out of a job just before Christmas and that stinks for them, it really does. But they still have a job to do for seven weeks. And that job includes taking care of little asshats that don't need to be playing with something meant for someone with a disability, just because they are bored.

Want to add - I agree with you and think you were in the right. About the 'employees' not caring - I thought the same thing re the place being "trashed" - I said to my friend - yeah they don't care, the place is going to close.

Back on bedspreads - if others are shopping for these too I had another idea - since I didn't see many I liked and yikes - the prices! I have a good one now, it's just getting a little worn / faded - so what I thought might be an alternative - check the local fabric store, they have enough sales too - I might just make a "cover" for it. That actually might be alot cheaper too, and you'd have more things to chose from. Of course it might be best to avoid fabric stores until POST Halloween ~
Anonymous User
October 12, 2014
Zzelda

I saw this and was going to ask you if you live on the W. Side of Chi ~...

But then I read your screen name more carefully and maybe your in Cali?...

Anyway, we have one closing too, and I went there last week too. Mainly looking for some house things like a new bedspread / comforter and bath towels and rugs. This one is only at 25% off right now - and is already pretty TRASHED....

I too will try again when they drop the prices. The place is already trashed. I didn't see it but my friend said she saw a pile of stuff that looked re - wrapped and maybe had been brought in from other stores.

Are alot of KMarts closing?

LOL Zzelda. No call girl here, I'm afraid I would starve that way. But yep, I live in Northern Calif. It's going to be strange without the KMart, its been here as long as I can remember, and I have lived in the area all of my 48 years. Two super WalMarts within 10 miles pretty much sealed this store's fate. I think around 100 KMarts are closing.

Ours is trashed too. Walking through yesterday, I couldn't believe it. The sale has only been going about a week- discounts are still just 10-30% and the store is half empty. They'll probably be bringing in more stuff if they are going to keep the store open until Dec. 7. There won't be anything left by then if they don't.

From what I gathered, talking to a couple of employees the last time I was there, they weren't happy about the timing but at least they had some notice. When the OSH closed down last year, they gave no one, not even management, much advance notice. Two weeks to sell everything to the walls and then lock the doors.

63 more people out of work in my area right before the holidays, with jobs here relatively scarce, is going to suck.

As far as the little asshats, usually I can just shake my head, go on with my business, and mind my own business. But I had a hard week at work- I work at a local high school, so you can imagine the entitlement and attitude I get every day (not to mention cussed out when I have to enforce the nutritional reqs)

I also know a lot of disabled people that would've needed that cart or chair if they were shopping, and seeing these brats playing with them was just the last straw. At least I felt better after my mini rant here last night.

Thanks to everyone for being here to vent to when needed.
October 12, 2014
cfcaligirl
LOL Zzelda. No call girl here, I'm afraid I would starve that way. But yep, I live in Northern Calif. It's going to be strange without the KMart, its been here as long as I can remember, and I have lived in the area all of my 48 years. Two super WalMarts within 10 miles pretty much sealed this store's fate. I think around 100 KMarts are closing.

NorCal is one spot I would like to see! Only been to SoCal. I've seen plenty of other places worldwide too. I have always been in 'this area' - (except for a few years) - The Greater Chicago Metro Area. I came for the Upscale Exurbs of SW Lower MI - now I live in a crappy / overpriced / quasi slum area on the Near West Side. That means I'm a Hipster now - YAY! ERG. LOL.

It's funny too, and I was going to say - the KMart I'm talking about here - (and there are umpteen all over the area) - I figured this one was just 'done in' by - a Wal Mart that is literally in the same shopping area strip mall as it is. Ah, sigh - so alot of them? They weren't a bad store and for some years had some nicer things at decent prices ~

Sears wasn't that bad either, if a little 'behind the times' - but they always did have good appliances and enough of halfway decent clothes and home things. You'd think these stores merging - that would've made them better. Both seemed to get worse.

It's too bad. Both always used to have good deals on certain products.

Was thinking of this too because I remembered 'reviews' of the Wally World apx. 'next door' to this KMart - which are both funny, and scary at the same time ~

http://www.yelp.com/biz/walmart-supercenter-forest-park

Yeah, it's pretty ghetto. The KMart was *really nice*! in comparison!

This review about sums it up -

This place makes me want to lobotomize myself before going in.

Another good one -

I wish I could give this store no stars. What they need to do is demolish this place and build a high security prison.

That about sums it up. And I can't believe it put the close KMart out of biz. That's Sak's in comparison.

Another good one, applies to that whole shopping area as well ~

Two good things about this wal-mart store: the cheap prices and the exit door. The ATM is constantly out of order. The parking lot is like a box of old chocolate..you never know wtf you're getting into. The employees look very unhappy (even though they are generally nice). As I think about it..the chaos is not the staff, but its the randomness of the weird people who come in to the store. Tip: shop here before 7am because the cray crays dont get up that early.
Anonymous User
October 13, 2014
Zzelda

NorCal is one spot I would like to see! Only been to SoCal. I've seen plenty of other places worldwide too. I have always been in 'this area' - (except for a few years) - The Greater Chicago Metro Area. I came for the Upscale Exurbs of SW Lower MI - now I live in a crappy / overpriced / quasi slum area on the Near West Side. That means I'm a Hipster now - YAY! ERG. LOL.

Ironic, I've always wanted to see Chicago! I really tried to get there this year for Wrigley Field's 100 Anniversary, but alas, was not to be. Maybe soon I'll be able to make a summer trip and catch a Chicago Sky game. I'd love to get some pictures of the Chicago skyline.

Your idea about making a cover for the bedspread is a good one, I actually have a cover that was made for me by someone much more talented in the sewing department (I can fix almost anything mechanical, home ec not my forte). It's sewn on three sides, and has a row of big buttons on the bottom edge so I can take the spread out and wash the cover. It's pretty neat.

And the snippets of the reviews that you posted made me waving hellolarious
October 13, 2014
cfcaligirl
It's going to be strange without the KMart, its been here as long as I can remember, and I have lived in the area all of my 48 years. Two super WalMarts within 10 miles pretty much sealed this store's fate. I think around 100 KMarts are closing.

We're probably going to get so far off on a tangent here that this will get booted to the Patio, but the conversation does remind me that, at one time, Kmart was a respected store.

I remember as a kid, 50 years ago, that going to Kmart was a Saturday morning rite. There were a LOT of "dime stores" and "discount stores" back then. Ben Franklin's, Woolworth, TG&Y, Venture ... If you didn't have a shopping need that required a "department" store (Penney's, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Famous and Barr ..) you went to the "discount" store.

It wasn't until Walmart came along and turned the notion of discount shopping into something really cheap and often scuzzy that a taint developed. And as we all know, it crushed the life from the other discount stores.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login