Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aging without Children

Posted by yurble 
Aging without Children
November 13, 2014
An organization in the UK wants to start a discussion about how society should care for older people without children. In the article they acknowledge that their concerns don't just apply to people without children, as you cannot rely on children to supply care in old age, but I think they're right to focus on those without children, because how many younger breeders will admit they might be left to fend for themselves?
Anonymous User
Re: Aging without Children
November 13, 2014
@Yurble - great article find! ArchieMcBeastie sums up my parents to a T:

" There is actually a type of older person whose overwhelming need to have all their own needs met in their own homes by their partners or their children, can result in a sequence of relatives driven to despair, breakdown and even death. They are what I call supreme survivors, surviving by using others to meet their own needs at all costs. As each carer or partner dies or breaks down, they move on freely to the next "victim" to be used in their never ending pursuit of surviving in their own preferred environment in their own preferred way. They use every trick in the book to get their way, emotional blackmail, whatever it takes. To the outside world they cultivate an affable, sociable persona and are often held in great esteem by strangers who have no idea of how miserable they make the lives of their relations and carers. "

And he's right again here:

"Yet there remains both social and government pressure to provide that care, a responsibility that invariably falls to the female child living nearest. Those at a distance invariably visit from time to time or not at all while at the same time decreeing that the caring child dare not have the parents admitted to residential or nursing care under any circumstances."

I'll lose a day of work tomorrow and $55 in gas (4 - 5 hour drive) to visit for a few hours. I've managed to limit this trip to twice a month, and sometimes I feel like the neighbors and caregiver think I don't do enough. When my mother was alive, she demanded I take off work (I'm a freelancer, but it still requires work) to take her to different hospitals in the tri-state area.

Also, I visited my mother in a nursing home when she fell and broke her leg every other day for 6 months. She told all the workers no family ever visited.

Read the comment section. They're really good, by people who are taking care of their parents. It is hard.
November 13, 2014
I was listening to some local talk radio show and the hosts were discussing how many retirees are refusing to plan to leave their homes ever, to downsize, as much as we keep hearing about that. Many of the callers agreed and say no one is going to tell them to move. Some of them have huge houses on big lots. Fine, but it is inevitable that eventually you cannot care for the home - then what? Who does? Think it will be easy to sell it and find another place, and go through the moving process, at that point when you may be too disabled. Who will do maintenance? Some of these people still have mortgages that will continue into old age.

They just seem to expect their kids to take care of it all because there are no alternative plans. What I've found is one kid will do it and expect the others to do it as well. The others want to push the parents into making plans so no one has to sacrifice their lives and their own jobs and families. But kid #1 wants to please the parents at all costs and freaks if the other kids don't do the same. Just what I've observed (and lived through).
November 13, 2014
Gee and I thought having children aged one faster than normal.

If only I had a dollar every time someone told me I look 15 years younger than my real age I'd be richer than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.
November 14, 2014
anti-offspring
@Yurble - great article find! ArchieMcBeastie sums up my parents to a T:

" There is actually a type of older person whose overwhelming need to have all their own needs met in their own homes by their partners or their children, can result in a sequence of relatives driven to despair, breakdown and even death. They are what I call supreme survivors, surviving by using others to meet their own needs at all costs. As each carer or partner dies or breaks down, they move on freely to the next "victim" to be used in their never ending pursuit of surviving in their own preferred environment in their own preferred way. They use every trick in the book to get their way, emotional blackmail, whatever it takes. To the outside world they cultivate an affable, sociable persona and are often held in great esteem by strangers who have no idea of how miserable they make the lives of their relations and carers. "

And he's right again here:

"Yet there remains both social and government pressure to provide that care, a responsibility that invariably falls to the female child living nearest. Those at a distance invariably visit from time to time or not at all while at the same time decreeing that the caring child dare not have the parents admitted to residential or nursing care under any circumstances."

I'll lose a day of work tomorrow and $55 in gas (4 - 5 hour drive) to visit for a few hours. I've managed to limit this trip to twice a month, and sometimes I feel like the neighbors and caregiver think I don't do enough. When my mother was alive, she demanded I take off work (I'm a freelancer, but it still requires work) to take her to different hospitals in the tri-state area.

Also, I visited my mother in a nursing home when she fell and broke her leg every other day for 6 months. She told all the workers no family ever visited.

Read the comment section. They're really good, by people who are taking care of their parents. It is hard.

I replied to that same comment. It described my grandmother to a T. She expects everybody to dance around her, rearrange their lives, and take care of everything for her. She also tells others that her family don't come, they're all too busy, etc. It's true that people have started to say no to her more now.
November 14, 2014
blondie
I was listening to some local talk radio show and the hosts were discussing how many retirees are refusing to plan to leave their homes ever, to downsize, as much as we keep hearing about that. Many of the callers agreed and say no one is going to tell them to move. Some of them have huge houses on big lots. Fine, but it is inevitable that eventually you cannot care for the home - then what? Who does? Think it will be easy to sell it and find another place, and go through the moving process, at that point when you may be too disabled. Who will do maintenance? Some of these people still have mortgages that will continue into old age.

We're both 50 and have a pretty big house. We've known ever since we bought it that we'd eventually need to downsize, as it does require a lot of care and we already have a landscaping crew managing the lawn. We have a plan to sell within the next ten years, but it pretty much depends on what the housing market is like in our area whether that's possible or not. Local economy is going to have to improve greatly for us to just break even. So, that's the only reason I can see us being elderly-ish and still living in a big place. Otherwise, we'll be in an easily manageable townhouse or condo somewhere in the Puget Sound area, with a particular fondness for Sequim or Port Angeles, WA.
November 15, 2014
selidororous
Gee and I thought having children aged one faster than normal.

If only I had a dollar every time someone told me I look 15 years younger than my real age I'd be richer than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

Dispite having the health of an old woman I look quite young. I'm still sometimes asked to provide ID for bars at the age of 46 in certain light.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
November 15, 2014
I'm 23 and everyone thinks I'm 19. Everyone says "I never would have guessed!" I asked my one coworker if bloody marys were good because I had never had one, and he said "well, of course you haven't, you're like what? 19?" Hearty giggles all around. Meanwhile my pregnant coworker looks 25 going on dead. She's 19. waving hellolarious
November 18, 2014
Pignancy definitely ages moocows faster (to say nothing of their ground zero vaginas), as does the stress of caring for a loaf. I've seen moos get thin, stringy hair after sluicing in addition to the standard stretch marks, saggy tits, etc. It's probably the hardest thing for the body short of chemotherapy.

And I'm just over here getting carded at every adult beverage establishment in America at age 30. drinkingy
November 18, 2014
My sister is two years younger than me, but appears to have the same amount of wrinkles as my husband who is 7 years older. Four kids and another on the way will do that to you!
Can't. Even. Imagine.
November 18, 2014
More countries need to have this discussion. In the USA, about 20% of women aged 40-45 never had a kid. Populations are declining in the EU. Asia has the same issues. You can push breeding all you want, but the reality is that people are deciding to either not have kids, or just have one or two at most. Yes, the next number of years will strain pension systems. Yes, it will be difficult. But in the long term, the earth is better if humans decrease their numbers. This also means that the scheme of younger workers supporting older, retired people will have to change. The present system is unsupportable in terms of economic sustainability and in terms of ecological damage. If every couple had only one child for the next 100 years, we could drastically reduce our numbers quickly, and the earth could heal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login