Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

U.S. Navy Warship Rushing to Aid... Sick Baybee

Posted by cfchevygirl 
U.S. Navy Warship Rushing to Aid... Sick Baybee
April 05, 2014
Two stupid fuckers --- aka parunts -- decide it's a good idea to drag a 1-year-old and 3-year-old on a trip around the world. The baybee gets sick, and apparently it's the job of the U.S. Navy to rush to the scene?

The U.S. Navy is on a mission to save a baby girl after she fell seriously sick about 900 miles off the Mexico coast, during a round-the-world voyage.

San Diego couple Eric and Charlotte Kaufman called for help from the Coast Guard on Thursday, after their youngest daughter, Lyra, fell sick.

A team was parachuted in on Thursday to get medical help to the one-year-old, but she needs to be airlifted to hospital.

The USS Vandegrift is due to rendezvous with the family and their 36ft sailboat Rebel Heart later today, or early tomorrow. It will then whisk Lyra away for medical treatment.

The dramatic rescue comes just two weeks after the Kaufmans embarked on their attempt to circumnavigate the globe with their daughters, aged one and three.

Too Stupid For Words
Re: U.S. Navy Warship Rushing to Aid... Sick Baybee
April 06, 2014
Yet another argument for parenting licenses - these idiots could barely handle a houseplant. It's not even a good idea to take a babby and a toadler to a restaurant, so why would a round-the-world trip work? :eh??

I wish the Navy could bill her. Arizona has a law that allows the state to bill idiots for rescue services if they ignore clearly posed warnings (for example, drive into a flooded area immediately preceded by a sign saying "Do Not Enter When Flooded"). Funny thing, they fish out a lot less idiots these days. If these fuckers had to pay for paratroopers and diverting a whole ship and forth, I bet it'd put a dent in similar idiocy.
April 06, 2014
I agree about billing the parents for the extraordinarily expensive rescue.
Child endangerment should be an added charge.

Could anyone foresee that a baby and a toddler would have a really rough time with months on a sailboat?
The possibilities of illness or injury of infants is extremely high, so being frequently trapped 1000 km from any possible help is a ridiculously dangerous prospect.

The comments on the original story are juicy and delicious !
April 06, 2014
What an embarrassment to our armed forces, having to save the spawn of two dummies who think the entire planet is safe as Disneyland. Bill these pricks!

Lyra Kaufman Charlotte Kaufman Lyra Kaufman Charlotte Kaufman Lyra Kaufman Charlotte Kaufman

"Rebel Heart" is suck a lame name for a boat, too. Lord, I hate idiots.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
April 06, 2014
phoebe_e_brown
Yet another argument for parenting licenses - these idiots could barely handle a houseplant. It's not even a good idea to take a babby and a toadler to a restaurant, so why would a round-the-world trip work? :eh??

Especially when encountering these kind of conditions:

For us, we've been in force 5 conditions for the last three days straight now. Lumped up seas, beefy swells, small breakers, and roughly twenty knots of breeze. Our lulls are around fifteen knots, and the gusts are at twenty five which normally would make for terrific sailing but living with that kind of boat motion for multiple days on end can be a little, let's just say, tiring.

Kids that are barely of walking age, let alone getting their sea legs, and taking them out in conditions like that.

BTW, the quote was from the dude's blog http://www.therebelheart.com/blog/ wherein he doesn't spare the readers from even the most private moments of their voyage

Charlotte made a coffee cake last night, we managed to have sex once while both children were asleep, and none of us have sustained any long term injuries other than the bruising typically associated with offshore passage making.

Gaaah! TMI! :hs -- and notice that he specifed how many times they had sex: once. As in, "oh well, if that's the best I can get."

ETA: looking at the wife's blog, this is what she has to say about taking kids out on turbulent seas

The only problem is force five with tiny kids on board. Oh well.
April 06, 2014
Isn't there a warning on some buckets, that says kyds can drown in a couple of inches of water? So by all means, take them out to a wide open ocean thousands of miles wide and thousands of feet deep. Derp.

Also, it's rather unfair to ask others to put themselves at risk in the tumultuous weather they are experiencing. I can never understand that. Well we have x number at risk because of their own stupidity, so now let's send 10x's as many people into that risky situation. I bet moo and duh don't feel any guilt that they are asking others to come into those rocky conditions to save their stupid asses from their stupid-ass mistake.
April 06, 2014
So, it looks like the Navy did get there and pick these assholes up. The only positive thing I can say is, with the latest update, it was mentioned the boat was taking on water when they got there, so they were sinking it.

So, Derp and Derpier seemingly won't be able to take the kyds out again on another attempt right away, I don't think. Although, I guess they probably have yacht insurance or something. I wonder if they would get reimbursed for the "lost" boat? Hopefully not.

The "best" thing I read? The 1-year-old already had salmonella poisoning prior to their trip, but was apparently cleared by doctors. So, she had already been recently sick with food poisoning, so the parunts had to know what a great experience that was on dry land; much less to take the kyd out in the open ocean and risk it happening again.
April 06, 2014
Jesus what a bunch of fucktards! Such a waste of money and resources. I'm sure the Navy was thrilled to be called to save these bunch of idiots. smile rolling left righteyes2
April 06, 2014
The parents should both be forced to join the military to compensate U.S. citizens for the cost of saving them from their own asshattedness.
April 06, 2014
Oh god this reminds me of the more (if possible) rage inducing story of a rabidly right wing family "fleeing" (by sea) godless 'Merica, and guess you rescued them? :cen
Anyone remember that? Both sets of idiots should be charged for the cost of rescuing them.

Evan Davis
April 06, 2014
kittehpeoples
The parents should both be forced to join the military to compensate U.S. citizens for the cost of saving them from their own asshattedness.

Poetic justice! Send them to Afghanistan, or to the Green Zone in Iraq.thumbs upup
April 07, 2014
What a pair of idiots. Hello, nimwits, your life has changed. Traveling the world is a fabulous idea, but you wanted to loaf so you can wait 15 years.
April 07, 2014
Miss_Hannigan
[/color]"Rebel Heart" is suck a lame name for a boat, too. Lord, I hate idiots.

I find it ironic when upper-middle-class, humdrum LifeScript people describe themselves as "rebels" or use any kind of descriptor indicating rebellion or non-conformity.
April 07, 2014
bell_flower
What a pair of idiots. Hello, nimwits, your life has changed. Traveling the world is a fabulous idea, but you wanted to loaf so you can wait 15 years.

I love the idea of traveling the world. But it's an idea that's best reserved for healthy, young adults who have lots of energy, money, and insurance for things that may go wrong. And yes, A LOT can go wrong when you're in other countries and being exposed to different climates, different insects, and drinking water that may or may not be distilled in the same way that your body has become accustomed to.

World travel is not for infants, nor has it ever been. It comes with a great deal of risk and those who choose to travel on these long excursions should know the risks involved.
April 07, 2014
Maybe when the Navy drops them off at port, they should be greeted by CPS caseworkers and brought up on charges of endangering the welfare of a child (who thinks it's a good idea to start a globe-circling-ocean-adventure with a recently sick kid?) and get slapped with a bill for their rescue at sea.
April 07, 2014
And still, not once fucking ounce of regret from these morons.

"We understand there are those who question our decision to sail with our family, but please know that this is how our family has lived for seven years, and when we departed on this journey more than a year ago, we were then and remain today confident that we prepared as well as any sailing crew could," Eric and Charlotte Kaufman said in a statement issued from the USS Vandegrift.

"The ocean is one of the greatest forces of nature, and it always has the potential to overcome those who live on or near it. We are proud of our choices and our preparation, and while we are disappointed that we lost our sailboat and our home, we remain grateful for those who came to our aid and those family and friends who continue to encourage and support us," the Kaufmans said in their statement.

Charlotte Kaufman's sister, Sariah Kay English, said that when she first heard of the couple's plans to sail around the world with two children, "I thought it was nuts."

But English said the couple was always careful. Eric Kaufman is a Coast Guard-licensed captain who introduced sailing to Charlotte Kaufman during one of their early dates.

"They were not going into this blind. I knew they were doing this wisely," English said.

English said the couple made a network of friends who traveled around the globe with children and always stocked the sailboat with more food than they need. And that has what to do with anything? They didn't run out of food, the kyd got food poisoning; and their boat was fucking sinking. Carrying extra food does nothing -- and obviously did nothing -- to offset an on-board illness or a sinking ship. If anything, that statement just goes to show how ignorant the parunts were/still are. They didn't plan or concern themselves with being far at sea and needing emergency medical care, or the possibility of their boat taking on water and sinking. Retards

Update on Dumbass Parunts
April 08, 2014
And I thought these people were smart. Couldn't they use Huggies from Ellen Pompeo's diaper bank to stop the leak? Or use Tampax Pearl?
April 08, 2014
cfchevygirl
And still, not once fucking ounce of regret from these morons.

"We understand there are those who question our decision to sail with our family, but please know that this is how our family has lived for seven years, and when we departed on this journey more than a year ago, we were then and remain today confident that we prepared as well as any sailing crew could," Eric and Charlotte Kaufman said in a statement issued from the USS Vandegrift.

"The ocean is one of the greatest forces of nature, and it always has the potential to overcome those who live on or near it. We are proud of our choices and our preparation, and while we are disappointed that we lost our sailboat and our home, we remain grateful for those who came to our aid and those family and friends who continue to encourage and support us," the Kaufmans said in their statement.

Charlotte Kaufman's sister, Sariah Kay English, said that when she first heard of the couple's plans to sail around the world with two children, "I thought it was nuts."

But English said the couple was always careful. Eric Kaufman is a Coast Guard-licensed captain who introduced sailing to Charlotte Kaufman during one of their early dates.

"They were not going into this blind. I knew they were doing this wisely," English said.

English said the couple made a network of friends who traveled around the globe with children and always stocked the sailboat with more food than they need. And that has what to do with anything? They didn't run out of food, the kyd got food poisoning; and their boat was fucking sinking. Carrying extra food does nothing -- and obviously did nothing -- to offset an on-board illness or a sinking ship. If anything, that statement just goes to show how ignorant the parunts were/still are. They didn't plan or concern themselves with being far at sea and needing emergency medical care, or the possibility of their boat taking on water and sinking. Retards

Update on Dumbass Parunts

The link doesn't work for me. All I see is the CBS banner but the rest of the page is blank.
April 09, 2014
Too bad this fambly didn't meet up with some Somalian pirates!

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
April 09, 2014
M4P
Too bad this fambly didn't meet up with some Somalian pirates!
smile rolling left rightsmile

Evan Davis
April 09, 2014
Hmm, not sure, Orangeflower, the link works for me. I checked it from my phone as well.

Anyways, hope this link works instead?

Linky

This link is even better. It states the 1 y.o. was on multiple medications, including a steroid for a respiratory bacterial infection, as well as antibiotics.

There's also a boo-hoo at the bottom of page 1 about having to stay with famblee members because with their boat destroyed, they're apparently homeless. Countdown to a go-fund-me page... smile rolling left righteyes2
April 09, 2014
Tiquer's valid idea will not come to pass, unfortunately. The family will not be billed for the sea rescue:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/No-Cost-Estimate-for-Sick-Baby-Rescue-CA-Military-Dept-254254671.html

Today we hear more frequently about hikers and the like who are being billed for rescues after getting lost or caught in bad conditions. Sometimes billing seems unjust, but other times it's appropriate. Despite the maritime tradition of not charging for rescues, I think this family should be liable for costs.

Some years ago the US Coast Guard stopped an idiot from attempting to cross the Atlantic from an East Coast port in a one–man craft that was only a few feet in length. The service said it was to prevent him from getting in trouble, as his craft was deemed likely to do during the voyage, and necessitating a huge, costly search and rescue. What did the man do? Went to Florida, launched from there, and promptly got lost at sea just as the Coast Guard expected. I don't think searchers ever found the craft or the body. So that's the flip side of not billing for rescue: the authorities can tell you not to make that sea trip. Too bad that didn't happen to this family.
April 09, 2014
mr. neptune
And I thought these people were smart. Couldn't they use Huggies from Ellen Pompeo's diaper bank to stop the leak? Or use Tampax Pearl?
Incontinence pads are much more absorbent. If anyone can remember the skit from SNL.sarcastic clapping
April 10, 2014
Similar sailing parents are stepping up to support the family (both in words and $$$)

LINK

*shrug* Fine. Support from their own community, which might turn out to be a prid quo pro arrangement down the line, is cool with me. Just don't start yammering for the general public to provide the funds to go back to sea.

The writer of this article shares views that make the life sound appealing. I bet the kids who grow up in this kind of life turn out to be more interesting than typical landlubber brats. But it appears than when this life fails, it fails spectacularly, as the Rebel Heart family found out.
April 11, 2014
Dorisan
The writer of this article shares views that make the life sound appealing. I bet the kids who grow up in this kind of life turn out to be more interesting than typical landlubber brats. But it appears than when this life fails, it fails spectacularly, as the Rebel Heart family found out.

Interesting people? Yes! I agree.

But as a parent it is more important for you to raise them in a responsible way, not an interesting one.

Hypothetically, a kid being raised on tour with the Rolling Stones would probably grow up to be pretty interesting as well... this doesn't mean that exposing him to a dangerous lifestyle at a young age was a responsible thing to do.

What really chaps my ass is the expense billed to the taxpayers, same as you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login