Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Live Without Producing Trash :litebulb

Posted by exile 
Live Without Producing Trash :litebulb
April 13, 2015
You Can Live Without Producing Trash: https://youtu.be/nYDQcBQUDpw LINK

I noticed that a good number of us cf are concerned about our planet in one way or another (mainly overpopulation) and doing what we personally can not to contribute to the decreasing reasources. So when I saw this video on a woman who has two years worth of trash contained in just a small jar, i couldn't help but show you all.

I doubt I'd actually take the time to make some of the stuff she dose, but I've always been interested in composting, but had no idea just how many items in the house could be replaced with recyclable/compost friendly replacements, or be simply just intreged at her different ideas on small simple changes, that are barely noticeable, but make a differance.

Worth the watch even if your not into all that full tilt green living.
Re: Live Without Producing Trash :litebulb
April 13, 2015
I've seen things like this before and have been giving this kind of lifestyle serious thought. My husband and I produce 1 - 2 bags of garbage a week. I think unfortunately this video leaves out a lot of scenarios like How is she getting her meat home? It's easy to buy produce and bulk items if you have a store that offers that, but it can also be more expensive because bulk item stores tend to charge more for other items.

Definitely food for thought. Pun not intended.
April 13, 2015
law
I think unfortunately this video leaves out a lot of scenarios like How is she getting her meat home?
She probably requests having it double wrapped in butcher paper at the meat counter, which would get rid of the styrofoam and plastic packaging.

As far as actually getting it home? Mylar-lined reusable freezer cloth bags, which keep meat cold for at least an hour or two, and they can be wiped or washed if meat juice leaks onto them. They allow you to buy and keep cold a lot more meat at one time, plus will contain any juice if there are leaks.
April 13, 2015
I saw an article on this in Sunset or Better Homes and Gardens a couple of years ago. It was a famblee that was living this way and the moo really rubbed me the wrong way. The entire family shopped exclusively for clothing at Goodwill once a year, and they were only allowed to buy what was on a pre-approved list. For example, 7 Goodwill panties per year; that was it. They didn't have tv, only Netflix, and she discussed how she was badgering Netflix to get rid of the packaging on movies (this was before instant video). She was also super-derisive about her kyds' friends', who bitched about there being no snacks in the house because she only prepared whole meals from ingredients. Finally, the one thing this bitch couldn't give up was her expensive makeup. So she had dead mascaras and things in her trash.

I like the idea of this lifestyle, but I hated this woman. Plus, I mean, she shit out two kids, so... More producers. And you know they will grow up to be materialistic assholes because that's what was forbidden in childhood.
April 13, 2015
We're childfree so aren't we already living without producing trash? grinning smiley

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

April 14, 2015
exile
You Can Live Without Producing Trash: https://youtu.be/nYDQcBQUDpw LINK

I noticed that a good number of us cf are concerned about our planet in one way or another (mainly overpopulation) and doing what we personally can not to contribute to the decreasing reasources. So when I saw this video on a woman who has two years worth of trash contained in just a small jar, i couldn't help but show you all.

I doubt I'd actually take the time to make some of the stuff she dose, but I've always been interested in composting, but had no idea just how many items in the house could be replaced with recyclable/compost friendly replacements, or be simply just intreged at her different ideas on small simple changes, that are barely noticeable, but make a differance.

Worth the watch even if your not into all that full tilt green living.

I am severely constrained in what I can do for the planet. However I do what I can, which is recycle recycle recycle.

I recycle plastic, old office supplies, and paper. Where I live composting isn't possible. The paper is shredded within an inch of its life.

Plastic shopping bags are a necessity. Carrying paper sacks up a nine foot narrow, steep staircase is beyond difficult for some of my helpers and I can't carry much of anything. Other type sacks even at Goodwill are too pricey and hard to find. I am a falling risk and have little to no balance. The plastic bags make good garbage/recycle bags also, never going out empty. Two weeks of pure non-recycled trash in my house fits in two tied shopping bags, far less than what I come in from the store with and any cow.

There are no green grocers within reach. It's the grocery store and thus plastic discount sacks of fruit/veg for me.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
April 14, 2015
strange aeons
We're childfree so aren't we already living without producing trash? grinning smiley

And all the associated toxic waste.
April 14, 2015
I'll be the first one to admit that my "greenness" is half-assed at best. I recycle paper, plastic, metal, glass and compostables, I buy almost all of my furniture and some of my clothes in second-hand stores and I do put some effort into saving electricity (mostly to save money, to be fair). However, my diet makes Mother Earth cry, and I have a passion for traveling (mostly by plane).
However, if quasi-environmentalist moos can prance around and brag about their greenness while queefing out more and more consumers, so can I.

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
April 14, 2015
craftyzits
Plastic shopping bags are a necessity. Carrying paper sacks up a nine foot narrow, steep staircase is beyond difficult for some of my helpers and I can't carry much of anything. Other type sacks even at Goodwill are too pricey and hard to find. I am a falling risk and have little to no balance. The plastic bags make good garbage/recycle bags also, never going out empty. Two weeks of pure non-recycled trash in my house fits in two tied shopping bags, far less than what I come in from the store with and any cow.

Here you pay for shopping bags, which encourages you to bring your own. Lightweight canvas/cotton bags crumple into a small ball and last years. I often get them for free.
April 14, 2015
My wife and I use a small bathroom sized trash can in our kitchen. Otherwise it doesn't fill up quick enough and it can start to smell.

We compost what can't be fed to the chickens. We recycle what we can't reuse. We take our 1-2 30 gallon bags per month to the dump, and usually those are topped off by what we find along the road on the way there.
April 14, 2015
One of my friends has only a single garbage bag per year.
He utilizes many ecological shopping and recycling methods to keep it so low.

In my area, they charge me a flat rate every 3 months for both garbage and recycling weekly curbside pickup, whether I use it or not.
They do not permit you to opt out.
That is very discouraging for minimal customers such as myself.
I accumulate about a shopping bag (8in x 8in) each of recycling and garbage every month.
The rest of what most people consider "trash" gets refused, upcycled, reused, composted, etc by me.

In the spring and autumn, I collect /rake about 200-400 bags/ tarps of leaves from the curbside and mow them down to 10% volume and use them as leaf mulch to improve the heavy clay soil in my gardens.
April 14, 2015
craftyzits

There are no green grocers within reach. It's the grocery store and thus plastic discount sacks of fruit/veg for me.

The shelter where Dh used to volunteer, and a number of others who advertise their request on FB, use plastic grocery bags for picking up dog poop in the runs and for collecting the scooped pooped cat litter. There are probably more biodegradable products that could be used, but that would require funds those facilities don't have. I think they should be given a pass, considering their even more humane goals, as well as those of us who use the bags and hand them over. I would suggest checking with an area humane society or rescue to see if they might want the bags. To me, that is an even better way to recycle them.

The first time Dh took in our accumulation of plastic sacks to the shelter, he said he wished he had a camera. I fold our bags into a neat, flat square and put them under the sink in a plastic tub. To help reduce the size of the pile, I use a concrete paver to compact it even more. He handed the tidy cube of bags to the shelter docent, who took it, held it in front of her face in disbelief, and then called other people over to look at it. She thanked Dh, then directed him to put it in the closet, among the other large garbage bags of wadded up grocery sacks. grinning smiley

I almost volunteered to take those large bags of grocery sack wads and fold them; the shelter was short on space as it was; but the politicking, unnecessary squabbles and uncalled for back biting among the more senior staff drove Dh away. He still takes in my neat little cubes, though smile rolling left righteyes2
April 14, 2015
I generally hang on to all my shopping bags because only the occasional torn one doesn't get reused. I don't have enough after to take them anywhere.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
April 14, 2015
I also have to admit my Green efforts are half arsed and mainly been for self gain, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when I'm not using them to save on my power bill, I have tried using cloth grocery bags but I'd always turn up having forgotten to put them back in my car from the last time, though I do go self serve at checkouts so I can use less bags, and I keep the ones that didn't have cold/wet items or meat in them, resuming them as bin bags or just again as bags to transport stuff around.

I've always been interested in composting but previously didn't have the yard space to have one. even so, when I lived by myself with my cats, I barely produced a wheelie bin of trash per month, we also have a set wheelie bin collection fee that can't be opted out of its part of our rates for the land I own. But even so, I used bio degradable cat litter I could this on the garden and break down the oder with some lime powder.

Between my partner and I, I think we only get the wheelie bin collected twice a month but I could make it so much less easily by changing just a few things.

And yeah I wondered how she got her meat home too, figured maybe just taking an esky packed with ice and yeah paper wrapping plus material buffer between them, could fit on a bike even.

Actually the main thing I like about this article was that the lady wasn't preechy about it, as she says, I don't make others live like me, but when they come to my home this is how it gets done here.

Which means in public she might not nessicarilly make her friends do it her way, nor tell them to in their own homes, but at her house she asks them to respect her way of life.
April 15, 2015
I admit to using plastic bags but we do reuse them for bathroom garbage bags as well as for poop scooping when we walk the dog. I do recycle but I am not as diligent as I could be about cutting out trash. We are also charged for trash and recycling pick up even if we don't use it, which I have found we fill the outside bin about every other week.
Overall, we could do a lot better.
April 15, 2015
Stores in the area used to give a $.05 discount for each bag you used, but stopped doing that for some reason. We stayed in the habit of bringing our own bags to the store. We usually have 2 kitchen sized bags of garbage and 3-4 small bedroom sized trash cans of recycling a month with no effort to go garbage free.

Our condo complex is infested with breeders so we pay a ton for trash pick up. When I first moved here there were 3 dumpsters with pick up Monday and Thursdays, now it's 6 dumpsters with pick up Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Dumpster is packed by Saturday morning and if Monday is a Federal holiday no trash service until Wednesday.

We occasionally use plastic bags, but most of them get folded up nicely and donated to the animal shelter.

Being ChildFree I can fly cross country while eating a panda steak and still be way more ecologically responsible than the world's crunchiest eco moo.
April 15, 2015
hana
Being ChildFree I can fly cross country while eating a panda steak and still be way more ecologically responsible than the world's crunchiest eco moo.

That's hilarious, but still true.
April 16, 2015
evilchildlessbitch
I admit to using plastic bags but we do reuse them for bathroom garbage bags as well as for poop scooping when we walk the dog. I do recycle but I am not as diligent as I could be about cutting out trash. We are also charged for trash and recycling pick up even if we don't use it, which I have found we fill the outside bin about every other week.
Overall, we could do a lot better.

Same here. I reuse them for multiple purposes and the torn ones get recycled. Paper bags often can't handle the weight of our groceries and I can't get as much use out of them afterwards.

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login