Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Child safety caps (don't you just love 'em?)

Posted by tea princess 
Child safety caps (don't you just love 'em?)
June 22, 2015
After days of procrastrination I finally cleaned my bathroom. The bottle of cleaner I just bought had an extra-strong child safety cap on it. I struggled with it for minutes and the damn thing just didn't come off (but since the bottle itself was made of a weaker plastic than the cap, it began to leak on my skin at every attempt, which was quite painful b/c of a small wound I have on a finger). All this because the manufacturer was afraid that some kid will want to snack on hydrochloric acid. I wonder why they don't make child-free editions of these bottles, I'd be willing to pay more for it (even if I know it'd be actually cheaper to manufacture them).

After I struggled with it for minutes, I just cut a hole on the side and poured the whole stuff into an empty soda bottle. I bet several people do this, including parents, and they actually make it more dangerous for kids (average kid is more likely to drink from a bottle that has a picture of a strawberry on it than from one with a picture of a toilet). Moreover, according to the stupid laws of my country, if some idiot breaks into my house and is stupid enough to drink it, I'd be criminally accountable for poisoning him.
Re: Child safety caps (don't you just love 'em?)
June 22, 2015
I can't stand them. I'm glad the pharmacies I use give me the option of ordinary caps. My mother had arthritic hands and always had trouble opening those bottles. She actually asked me or my sister to open them a few times for her, and we were the ones those caps were supposed to keep out! I guess we were smarter than the average kids.
June 22, 2015
Don't why they even bother using them. Simple fix; parunts, keep you spawn under control!! They can just poison themselves on the washing tablets instead.
June 22, 2015
Yep.. no safety caps when I was a kid... just a mother who yelled 'NO' at me. She also told me the horrors of the stuff. POISON was a word I completely understood before I entered kindergarten. Parunts do not want to 'skarrrre little pweshus with such stories so or bother to put something out of a chyld's reach so... it's lead to those annoying safety caps. I've been known to pitch a bottle across the room because the cap was making me so angry.
June 22, 2015
If you have prescription pill bottles you can turn the lid upside down; they have threads on the top to make it a simple screw on lid. I know that doesn't help in this situation but just for future reference.
June 22, 2015
I hate child proof bottles too. I was able to find a bottle of Alleve that was made for people with arthritis. Sure beats fighting those godawful child proof ones. I also have it on my pharmacy account that I want regular bottles.

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
June 23, 2015
JohnDrake
I can't stand them. I'm glad the pharmacies I use give me the option of ordinary caps. My mother had arthritic hands and always had trouble opening those bottles. She actually asked me or my sister to open them a few times for her, and we were the ones those caps were supposed to keep out! I guess we were smarter than the average kids.

Dear God, even though I was a bit of an autistic tard I had family adults pass me this or that to open. That goes triple for the pill bottles. It would have been SOOO fucking easy, if I was not just a bit of a tard but stupid to boot. I was a smart tard. Yes, there's such a thing. I just had sensory issues out the ass, and was extremely late to talk because we (my family) thought I had been badly abused before the second adoption.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 25, 2015
cfchevygirl
If you have prescription pill bottles you can turn the lid upside down; they have threads on the top to make it a simple screw on lid. I know that doesn't help in this situation but just for future reference.

actually, i've never seen caps like this. good idea

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
June 25, 2015
Last summer, I managed to injure my entire upper body including my hands to the point where I lost my job. I couldn't pick things up more than 8lbs and I couldn't use my hands for anything other than basics. They gave me my meds in a childproof cap. I could barely hold a spatula to cook myself scrambled eggs. Opening that thing was agony. I think I did it twice, then let the bottle sit open with the cap tilted on the top. If I were a person living in a childed household at that time, the preventative measures taken by the pharmacy would have just made it more likely that some kyd was gonna eat my muscle relaxer because it was already open. Overused safety measures are counterproductive.
June 25, 2015
I've said it before, but I used to open the child-proof bottles for my grandma when I was about 8 or 9 years old. If anything, they're fucking adult-proof, as I've seen more adults of varying ages struggle with them than kids. I often can't open them on the first try, and those ones where you line up the arrows and pop the cap off with your thumb (usually on aspirin bottles) give me some trouble too.

Is it really that hard to just keep your goddamn pills out of your brat's reach? I don't ever remember trying to eat pills when I was a kid. The excuse was always that they look like candy. I never saw any pills that looked anything like candy, and even if I did pop one in my mouth, most pills are horribly bitter when chewed. Then again, I was not of the generation of kids who were fucking dumb enough to chow down on dishwasher soap packets. What in hell is wrong with kids who will gladly spit out actual food because it tastes/looks "bad," but they'll swallow things like bleach or ammonia and not spit/puke it back up? Does not compute.
June 26, 2015
I just love the childproof caps on my arthritis pills.
June 27, 2015
I found this once and bookmarked it - it's been my savior for de-kiddieproofing caps

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Evil-Childproof-caps-easy-to-open/

I usually just do one, and then every time I buy a new thing of meds/mouthwash/whatever, I just open the new bottle once and pour the new stuff into the old bottle. When the bottles get really worn out, I'll do a new one, but it doesn't happen very often.

I hope that helps some of you! For you BFers that have limited strength to open the bottles in the first place (rather than just finding them annoying) you might need to get someone to do some of these for you, but it's sooo worth it.

As an additional note: for the ones that are a cap within a cap (the push down and twist ones), you can use a countertop to pry the top cap off, or if you can find a 'church key' (it looks like a huge bottle opener) that's even easier to use to pry the top one off, then you are set.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
June 27, 2015
amethyst114
I found this once and bookmarked it - it's been my savior for de-kiddieproofing caps

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Evil-Childproof-caps-easy-to-open/

I usually just do one, and then every time I buy a new thing of meds/mouthwash/whatever, I just open the new bottle once and pour the new stuff into the old bottle. When the bottles get really worn out, I'll do a new one, but it doesn't happen very often.

I hope that helps some of you! For you BFers that have limited strength to open the bottles in the first place (rather than just finding them annoying) you might need to get someone to do some of these for you, but it's sooo worth it.

As an additional note: for the ones that are a cap within a cap (the push down and twist ones), you can use a countertop to pry the top cap off, or if you can find a 'church key' (it looks like a huge bottle opener) that's even easier to use to pry the top one off, then you are set.

In my area, you can also request for the pharmacist to use a non-child- resistant cap.
June 27, 2015
twocents
cfchevygirl

actually, i've never seen caps like this. good idea

Yeah, most times I've gotten prescrip pills, they've come in bottles like this. I didn't actually know about turning the cap upside down, a friend told me.

June 28, 2015
Just did that with the naproxan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login